Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version

VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version

SDamien3

Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see fit
to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.

*blzzzzt*

For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers a
few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
DVD"?

Doonie

On 03 Sep 2003 23:57:10 GMT, SDamien3 wrote:

>Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see fit
>to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
>front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.
>
>*blzzzzt*
>
>For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
>appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
>Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers a
>few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
>DVD"?

This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
they've changed the music?

SDamien3

>>Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see

>fit
>>to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
>>front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.
>>
>>*blzzzzt*
>>
>>For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
>>appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
>>Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers

>>few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
>>DVD"?

> This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
>they've changed the music?

As far as I can recall, it's just that one song that's been replaced at that
one pivotal moment.

What sucks even worse is that some VHS sell-thru editions feature the original
song intact (!), so obviously the suits cleared the copyrights at some point
since the film's initial home video release.

On a related note, I'm as happy as a clam that "Sixteen Candles" has finally
been issued with its original theatrical score... as well as Grandma's
previously missing-from-home-video quip to Long Duk Dong, "You little scuzbag!"
(*kick!*)

Douglas Bailey

SDamien3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On a related note, I'm as happy as a clam that "Sixteen Candles" has finally
> been issued with its original theatrical score...

Along similar lines, does anyone know what was changed/missing in _The
Breakfast Club_ in earlier home-video incarnations? I didn't notice
anything being different from the tape I watched in the '80s: the Wang
Chung "man who leads the way" song sounds a little oddly mixed (which I
put down to the 5.1-channel remix), but it's definitely the same song.

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

Si

"SDamien3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's

first
> appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the

Pointer
> Sisters song "I'm So Excited".

What do they have now?

Si

SDamien3

>> For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's
>first
>> appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the

>Pointer
>> Sisters song "I'm So Excited".

>What do they have now?

Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear until
Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.

Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has TWO
repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of these
ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.

John-Morgan

> Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
> less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear

until
> Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.
>
> Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has

TWO
> repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of

these
> ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.

Sometimes they show the "I'm So Excited" scene on the television version.
But I never knew that was the original way it was meant to be. I was
wondering why that song is listed in the credits of the SE DVD when it
doesn't even appear in the movie (that version, anyway).

Morgan

H E Pennypacker

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:50:45 GMT, "John-Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
>> less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear

>until
>> Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.
>>
>> Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has

>TWO
>> repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of

>these
>> ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.
>>

>Sometimes they show the "I'm So Excited" scene on the television version.
>But I never knew that was the original way it was meant to be. I was
>wondering why that song is listed in the credits of the SE DVD when it
>doesn't even appear in the movie (that version, anyway).
>
>Morgan

The Region 2 disc is the same as far as "I'm so excited" goes. However
on the Region 2 disc if you switch over the Italian Language track it
correctly has "I'm so excited" during that time.

I came up with a fix using a HTPC that automatically switches over
tracks during this time.

Has anybody switched over on the R1 20th Anniversary edition to the
Spanish ,French or Portuguese tracks during this time? Perhaps it is
the same situation as the Region 2 release so that they had to credit
the song.

Stan Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in
alt.video.dvd, Doonie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
>they've changed the music?

Not in that movie, but in /The Wrong Trousers/ (part of the
Adventures of Wallace & Gromit/ DVD, when Gromit opens up his
birthday card the chip plays an electronic version of some generic
music. On the VHS, as in original release, it was "Happy Birthday".

They also changed some of the songs that the Penguin played at full
blast.

Obviously they had the rights for the VHS; why on earth didn't they
get them for the DVD? Somebody was being unreasonably greedy here.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Moviezzz

>What sucks even worse is that some VHS sell-thru editions feature the
>original
>song intact (!), so obviously the suits cleared the copyrights at some point
>since the film's initial home video release.

The VHS rights were secured way back when the film was first released. DVD
didn't exist then so it wasn't part of it.