Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Are these stereotypical dvd players?

Are these stereotypical dvd players?

Hugh Candlin

Phil Tate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj5a1s$e6oge$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> JethroUK© wrote
> >are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the

player)

> Yes.
>
> >i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc

player
> >(maybe some do - dunno)

> I've never understood why DVD player manufacturers haven't done this from
> the word go. It's barmy.

Read on.

> If you watch movies on a PC's DVD drive you don't get layer change

pauses,
> because they use the PC's RAM as a buffer.

There's your answer. Cost. And complexity.

Add RAM and the temptation arises
to add more new cool features,
which all combine to jack the cost to unacceptable levels.

Before you know it, you need an Operating System.
Before you know it, you've reinvented the PC.

Linea Recta

Wether you have to spend more money I don't know, because I can't discouver
how much you payed.
Anyway, after an initial bad buy (returned and refunded), I now have a low
budget player which plays the following impeccably:

DVD (4 & 8 GB)
my own made DVD+R(W)
audio CD
MP3
JPG
Kodak picture CD
HDCD
VCD & SCVD

Macrovision and region code free. Progressive scan. Bought it for 89 Euro.
Brand: Marquant DVD-333k.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ULm5b.270$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
>
> tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
> slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
> pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

was
> the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
> well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) - wish
> i'd kept it in view of the following
>
> took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
> thing exactly, couldn't believe it
>
> took it back - bought Samsung E234
>
> 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a frame
> for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it

hung
> on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year old,
> 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone )
>
> secondly the Samsung has a red hue band (about 1/2" deep) running along

the
> top of the screen (visible on any disc) - never gave it chance to play a
> whole film, it's back in da box
>
> maybe these are all 'acceptable' (not to me it's going back), but i

remember
> when the 1st (single-laser) CD players used to **** about like this,

before
> they introduced triple lasers
>
> have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast

quality)

> will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually '

play
> dvd's ' )

Chris Gould

"Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zbq5b.126927$(E-Mail Removed)...

> There's your answer. Cost. And complexity.
>
> Add RAM and the temptation arises
> to add more new cool features,
> which all combine to jack the cost to unacceptable levels.
>
> Before you know it, you need an Operating System.
> Before you know it, you've reinvented the PC.

Denon seem to manage it without reinventing anything, and at a reasonable
price.

Martin Wilson

>I've seen a few philips players and have never been impressed by them.
>Absolute tat tbh. I know there are a few Sammy fans here, but in general
>they're cheap as chips. You certainly do get what you pay for with Samsung.
>On the other hand my Toshiba SD520E was about £120 new. Hardly broke the
>bank and hasn't refused to play anything bar one duff Farscape disc. I've
>got one of those cheap cyberhome things from WH Smiths for the bedroom. My
>Dad bought 2 of them ant they and it kick the arse off his £300 Hitachi.
>Should have seen the look on his face. LOL!
>
>Syn

Many people criticise both Samsung and LG but the truth is they make a
huge amount of stuff for many japanese companies in china. Most of
Sony's low cost dvd players and all their vhs vcrs are made by
Samsung. Lots of JVC and Toshiba gear are made by them too.

Many people who have a low opinion of these brands are using equipment
made by these companies.

If you have a japanese brand item that is made in china then its far
more likely it was subcontracted to another company than made in a
factory owned by that firm in china. Thats not to say there aren't
japanese owned chinese factories its just they only represent 10-20%
of production.

Impmon

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:15:58 +0100, "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

Probably just unlucky. I've gone through 3 DVD players in my house and
so far, only one had died (fixed it with a $0.75 diode in power supply)
I still use GE 5803p that is almost 3 years old now, my parent has Apex
AD1500 that is almost 2 years old and for on the road I have a year old
portable Koss DVD player that hooks up to any video monitor.

>will i have to spend more money to get a dvd player that can actually ' play
>dvd's ' )

Probably yes. The cheapest player I've used is $75 Apex that my parent
got. My GE were originally $200 new and the Koss player were originally
$100 (got it $45 "demo/used")

Some sub-$50 DVD players are guaranteed to fail within a day after the
warranty expires so avoid any bargain DVD players. Even if they don't
fail, they're likely to have some quality issues.
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox.

JethroUK©

"Hugh Candlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zbq5b.126927$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Phil Tate <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bj5a1s$e6oge$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > JethroUK© wrote
> > >are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the

> player)
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > >i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc

> player
> > >(maybe some do - dunno)

> > I've never understood why DVD player manufacturers haven't done this

from
> > the word go. It's barmy.

> Read on.
>
> > If you watch movies on a PC's DVD drive you don't get layer change

> pauses,
> > because they use the PC's RAM as a buffer.

> There's your answer. Cost. And complexity.
>
> Add RAM and the temptation arises
> to add more new cool features,
> which all combine to jack the cost to unacceptable levels.
>
> Before you know it, you need an Operating System.
> Before you know it, you've reinvented the PC.

a buffer is just a chip (10 a penny) - you dont need a whole pc

LASERandDVDfan

>bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

>took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
>thing exactly, couldn't believe it

>took it back - bought Samsung E234
>

>have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

I can tell you why you are having problems right now.

You bought shitty DVD players. Buy players only from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba,
Pioneer, and JVC. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>My
>Dad bought 2 of them ant they and it kick the arse off his £300 Hitachi.
>Should have seen the look on his face. LOL!

Hitachi players are OEMed by Samsung. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>Many people criticise both Samsung and LG but the truth is they make a
>huge amount of stuff for many japanese companies in china. Most of
>Sony's low cost dvd players and all their vhs vcrs are made by
>Samsung. Lots of JVC and Toshiba gear are made by them too.

Nice joke!

Just because a Japanese TV is made in the USA, it has to be made by RCA?

For the record, this information is almost totally incorrect. While various
components may have been manufactured by Samsung and LG, the player's internal
designs and construction are unique to all the brands you've cited.

Sony designs and makes their own players and VCRs. For DVD players, the major
parts, such as the disc drive assembly, various process components in the MPEG
board, the mainboards themselves, and other components were fabricated by Sony.
For VCRs, the mechanical components and mainboards are also unique to Sony.

It's the same deal with Toshiba. Their disc drives are also proprietary to
Toshiba and the mainboards are braned quite clearly to be Toshiba's product.

JVC is in the same boat as Sony and Toshiba.

I should know, I perform repair work. I've worked on a variety of DVD players
and VCRs from Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, and JVC. Not one share any likeness with
each other in reference to proprietary components. None of the proprietary
parts, such as mainboards, individual ICs and LSIs, and disc drive components
were interchangable between the different brands.

While companies may subcontract work, the manufacturing is still done according
to designs proprietary to the brand that hired the third party. However, I've
found the hiring of third parties unlikely. Companies, do have their own
manufacturing facilities in these countries, the Malaysian manufacturing
division of Matsushita Electric as an example.

However, there are also other companies that do have their players OEMed by
another company using designs created by someone else. Hitachi, for instance,
has their players OEMed by Samsung. Some Philips and Sharp players share
attributes of Samsung players. Apex is famous for taking a player designed by
someone else and branding it as their own. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>I've never understood why DVD player manufacturers haven't done this from
>the word go. It's barmy.

The only advantage for Samsung players and their OEM equivalents, or at least
those sold in the USA, do seem to employ a type of prebuffering of the DVD
bitstream.

No Samsung player I've seen ever paused on a layer transition.

>If you watch movies on a PC's DVD drive you don't get layer change pauses,
>because they use the PC's RAM as a buffer.

Not completely true. Depending on the drive, you may still notice the layer
change.

I do whenever I run a DVD through my Hollywood Plus card using my Lite-On 16x
DVD-ROM drive. - Reinhart