Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Are these stereotypical dvd players?

Are these stereotypical dvd players?

Bondee

"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gfn5b.286$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
> > of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

> i've heard of layer changes - dont know what they are, but i dont expect

> witness them

Everyone else does. Don't know why you should be any different.

JethroUK©

"loz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj4vt3$gb8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news3n5b.281$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i'm having one before they notice their mistake ) i paid £200 (proper
> > price) - for £99 i'll put up with the hiccups - apart from that it was
> > bloody good
> >

> > > This link is selling them at £99 !

> Can it be made multi region in the normal philips way - via a special

remote?

no - i did try it - there must be a different route to multi-region - just
got to wait till someone figures it )

but it was very good & played all formats + flawless recordings on the VCR

i think they'll change the price in the next couple days

JethroUK©

"Bondee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj50h7$4io$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Gfn5b.286$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hmm sounds like you saw the layer change - time to go off and do a bit
> > > of googling if they have it under that suspension bridge of yours

> > i've heard of layer changes - dont know what they are, but i dont expect

> > witness them
> >

> Everyone else does. Don't know why you should be any different.

maybe i [am] too fussy then - i expect broadcast quality and i dont think
i'm asking for very much

p.s. never saw no layer changes on either of the philips machines

Phil Tate

JethroUK© wrote
>bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

Always a bad sign. Avoid any "combi" type gear - TV/video, TV/DVD player,
VCR/DVD, etc. It's convenience over quality every time. I once had a Philips
(I think) TV/satellite decoder combination. If the TV was switched on, there
was horrific buzzing from the satellite receiver. If the TV was off, the
buzzing disappeared (as you could tell by recording Sky with the TV off) -
but you can see the flaw in this solution...

>tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
>slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
>pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

was
>the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
>well

Eh? Apart from not working at all it performed very well? No DVD player
should behave like this.

>took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

Flattery will get you nowhere.

>have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast quality)

If a DVD player doesn't play 99% of discs pretty much flawlessly and with
stunning picture quality, there's something wrong. You do seem to have been
very unlucky.

Phil

JethroUK©

"loz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj4vrc$8v9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ULm5b.270$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)
> >
> > tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
> > slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
> > pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

was
> > the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
> > well and it was bristling with nice features (incl no macrovision) -

wish
> > i'd kept it in view of the following
> >
> > took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle) - same
> > thing exactly, couldn't believe it

> Discs have been known to problems of course.
>
> I have had a couple of Philips DVD players without any problems. Never

seen the
> problem you describe.

someone suggested i might not be insulated enough - which maybe true (got a
1000 wires behind my tv)

> > 1st disc in was 'The Rock' - within 10 minutes the player hung on a

frame
> > for about 1 whole second before it decided to continue - replaying, it

hung
> > on the same frame each time - but it plays fine on my sons 2000 year

old,
> > 2nd hand wharfdale (i think he swapped it for a rather large stone )

> My philips DVD has a much more noticable layer change than a cheap Grundig

one I
> had earlier.
> It is a bit annoying. But not the end of the world....

dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
pause per film (it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)

JethroUK©

"Phil Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj52qn$fj1ba$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> JethroUK© wrote
> >bought Philips DVD755VR (DVD/VCR combi)

> Always a bad sign. Avoid any "combi" type gear - TV/video, TV/DVD player,
> VCR/DVD, etc. It's convenience over quality every time.

had these very thoughs before i bought it (even posted before i bought it) -
but apart from the hiccup it was excellent in both the DVD and VCR
department

> >tried it with 3 discs (incl brand new LOTR2) - in all cases it misfired
> >slightly (back 1 frame), but frequently (about every 5 mins ish - it was
> >pretty random (replaying same section it didn't skip) - which suggest it

> was
> >the player and not the disc - apart from that the machine performed very
> >well

> Eh? Apart from not working at all it performed very well? No DVD player
> should behave like this.

i just meant if there [was] a solution (someone suggested better insulation)
it was otherwise a bloody good machine with more features than the other 2
put together (and they worked flawlessly)

> >took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

> Flattery will get you nowhere.
>
> >have i just been unlucky or am i too fussy? (i do expect broadcast

quality)

> If a DVD player doesn't play 99% of discs pretty much flawlessly and with
> stunning picture quality, there's something wrong.
> You do seem to have been
> very unlucky.

looks like i'm due for one that works )

Phil Tate

JethroUK© wrote
>dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
>pause per film

DVD is not for you then. Some films are all on one layer (often at the
expense of picture quality), but most are on two.

>(it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)

It will have. You may not have noticed it - some discs have the film all on
one layer, some put the layer change in a sensible position (a fade to
black, or no movement on the screen), and some players handle it better than
others, but it will have been there, honest.

Phil

Bondee

"Phil Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj52qn$fj1ba$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> JethroUK© wrote

<snip>
> >took it back & bought a Philips 625 (Ok so i like Philips tackle)

> Flattery will get you nowhere.

LOL!

JethroUK©

"Phil Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj540q$eu7hs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> JethroUK© wrote
> >dunno how many layers are on a disc, but i wouldn't accept a one second
> >pause per film

> DVD is not for you then. Some films are all on one layer (often at the
> expense of picture quality), but most are on two.

are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the player)

> >(it didn't happen at all on the philips models i mentioned)

> It will have. You may not have noticed it

to be honest i dont care if it teleports a turkish curd to peking solong as
i dont notice ) it's only the 'noticing' bothers me

> - some discs have the film all on
> one layer, some put the layer change in a sensible position (a fade to
> black, or no movement on the screen), and some players handle it better

than
> others, but it will have been there, honest.

now you mention it does say on the disc box - "layer transition may trigger
a slight pause" - didn't notice a pause either of the philips (or on my sons
wharfdale - which i've just replayed)

i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc player
(maybe some do - dunno)

Phil Tate

JethroUK© wrote
>are the layer changes always in the same place? (regardless of the player)

Yes.

>i would've thought dvd players would use a buffer like a cd/minidisc player
>(maybe some do - dunno)

I've never understood why DVD player manufacturers haven't done this from
the word go. It's barmy.

If you watch movies on a PC's DVD drive you don't get layer change pauses,
because they use the PC's RAM as a buffer.

Phil