Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: DVD Life??

Re: DVD Life??

Arminio Grgic

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:14:03 +0400, Tesla Fibre <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have read in some magazine that recently there was concern that
>DVD+-R and RW have a very short life span than normally advertised.
>Also it may be possible that DVD's are a waste of time for archiving
>data due to this.
>
>Anyone read anything about this? Any opinions?

I read a lot about this problem and I must say it is very serious
matter - thing i sthat some media manufacturer makeing very low
wuality media for lot of brands like Verbatim, Princo etc. so these
discs lasts from 2 months to 2 years top !
This makes DVD-R media completely unusefull for any backups.
The biggest problem is that you don't know what are you buying until
you buy it - for example, teher is some Traxdata discs that have RITEK
media (very good quality) and also some Traxdata with CMC media (low
quality) but - both has Traxdata logo !
The reason for this is palce of manufacturing - companies made discs
around the world and have contacts with different mediua manufacturers

There is one media manufacturer that have absolute recommendations
from anybody - it is Taiyo Yuden - Japanese company who invented CD-R
media and makes the most qualty products. Their media is used by
Phillips, Plextor etc. but only "made in Japan" stuff ...

--
Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.