Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: projector resolution

Re: projector resolution

Mark Spatny

Steve(JazzHunter),(E-Mail Removed) says...

> It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
> less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
> projection besting a direct-view set.

You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
considering 640x480 resolution.

John C.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:18:33 GMT, Mark Spatny
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve(JazzHunter),(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
>> less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
>> projection besting a direct-view set.

>You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
>get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
>screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
>isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
>considering 640x480 resolution.

Well, even the $999 Infocus X1 is 800x600.

Steve(JazzHunter)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve(JazzHunter),(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
>> less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
>> projection besting a direct-view set.

>You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
>get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
>screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
>isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
>considering 640x480 resolution.

Depends upon your parameters. On projectors you can always see the
pixel structure. You have to get pretty close to a CRT set to notice
them. Erm, an obvious comparison would be to have a projected image
the SAME size as a direct view set, say 32", then see which has the
less annoying artifacts. (obviously the projector would be brighter,
ignore that factor) Projection sets now at least equal CRT in this
test when it comes to SuperVGA or better. When an image is made
larger, such as for a large audience, then one sits further away, and
gets the same angle of view. - Another test is how well the image
holds up when sitting rather closer than one should to the screen in
these circumstances. Again projectors have passed this threshold with
decreased pixel structure and increased output. Direct-view, such as
Sony and Barco (I have the latter at home) will for a long while yet
have better colorimetry and contrast than LCD and DLP projectors, but
projectors are now definitely good enough to replace CRT's for large
screen multimedia. And they are more flexible in setup and more
portable. And that was the main point of this thread. Projection
all-in-one sets using CRT's are not being considered for this
comparison.

I service projectors, and work for a company installing projectors and
providing presentation support, and have lost count of the number of
projector setups I've had to deal with, so I DO know of what I speak!

. Steve .

Mark Spatny

Steve(JazzHunter),(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Depends upon your parameters.

For me it is all about color. If the color and black levels aren't
right, it's no good. That goes for work, and at home for my personal
entertainment. That means a LOT more to me than size. I'd rather watch a
34" widescreen TV with great color (which is what I have) than any
projector I could have purchased for the same amount of money.