Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: The purpose of dvd region coding?

Re: The purpose of dvd region coding?

Mobutu

"Jason H. Schaumlau" wrote:

> What's the point of this? You could play VHS anywhere so why this dvd
> coding nonsense?

As well as the colour systems issue that others have mentioned, there was
no internet in the old days so people probably didn't think of ordering
from overseas as much.

In principle I am against region coding, but I don't really care because
multi-region players are so easy to get.