Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Macrovision Right or Wrong?

Macrovision Right or Wrong?

Dick Sidbury

JethroUK© wrote:

> but there's lot more hardware that doesn't support macrovision than 'the
> odd' samsung - are these all illegitimate manufacturers (breaking the code
> of conduct) ?

Can you name some? And the Samsung does support macrovision. It just
has a "secret code" to disable it.

dick

The dog from that film you saw

"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsA44b.2051$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > ok!
> >
> > the dvd player contains hardware that generates macrovision
> > but
> > it wont do it unless the disc specifically tells it to
> >
> > if the disc does do that, the makers of the disc have to pay money to

the
> > company that invented macrovision
> >
> > got it?

> yep - but then it still leaves my original question, why do hardware
> manufacturers indulge it (what is their reasoning)?

because the dvd forum who tegether invented dvd, make the manufacturer
promise to do so.

--
Gareth
quote of the day

JethroUK©

"The dog from that film you saw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:biql76$c2rlf$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsA44b.2051$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > ok!
> > >
> > > the dvd player contains hardware that generates macrovision
> > > but
> > > it wont do it unless the disc specifically tells it to
> > >
> > > if the disc does do that, the makers of the disc have to pay money to

> the
> > > company that invented macrovision
> > >
> > > got it?

> > yep - but then it still leaves my original question, why do hardware
> > manufacturers indulge it (what is their reasoning)?
> >

> because the dvd forum who tegether invented dvd, make the manufacturer
> promise to do so.

i dont buy any o that

who are the dvd formum?

what have 'inventors' got to do with anything? (it's a film industry issue)

what they gunna do about it - if no one complies?

Would you wonder what the Ford Motor Company were upto ?

Dom Robinson

In article <xh44b.2041$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d says...
<snip>
> > is that the player contains the hardware to
> > generate macrovision.

> if you're saying the software spec (in it's own interest) means it will only
> run on macrovision protected hardware, it makes sense - but it isn't so (the
> software runs on any hardware)
>
> > the producer of the software - the dvd disc, must pay macrovision for the
> > permission to turn it on.
> > some consider it a price worth paying, others not.
> > it's a financial consideration - cost of turning it on vs revenue lost if
> > they don't.

<big snip>

Jethro, if you're going to continue this thread about Macrovision, at least
get a clue and stop quoting endless previous text that no longer is relevant
(ie. all that extra stuff under your last comment which you keep leaving in)
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)

Dom Robinson

In article <xA44b.2051$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)d
says...
> > the dvd player contains hardware that generates macrovision
> > but
> > it wont do it unless the disc specifically tells it to
> >
> > if the disc does do that, the makers of the disc have to pay money to the
> > company that invented macrovision
> >
> > got it?

> yep - but then it still leaves my original question, why do hardware
> manufacturers indulge it (what is their reasoning)?

Because, as has already been explained to you, it is part of the DVD
specification that all hardware manufacturers must adhere to. Let's hope
that's spelled it out again for the hard of thinking like yourself.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
"Your eyes, they take me... to eternity." - Natalie Imbruglia, Identify

Dom Robinson

In article <bI44b.2061$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)d says...

> "Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biqkll$btd3c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > JethroUK© wrote:
> > >
> > > but there's lot more hardware that doesn't support macrovision than 'the
> > > odd' samsung - are these all illegitimate manufacturers (breaking the

> code
> > > of conduct) ?

> > Can you name some?

> How about the one i've just bought (Philips DVD755VR) - all the more
> suprising since it's a combi dvd/vcr which makes it nothing short of
> deliberate - which lead me to read about it, and i've read about lots that
> dont support macrovision - which then lead to wondering why any hardware
> manufacturer does & thus to why anybody buys em

The player will support macrovision, but generally you won't be able to record
macrovision-protected DVDs to video, unless they've disabled the Macrovision.

Hence, they must allow the player to produce macrovision, but they're also
able to stop it from doing so if the user wishes. It's only the first bit they
need to abide by in order to sell the machine.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
"Your eyes, they take me... to eternity." - Natalie Imbruglia, Identify

Don Del Grande

JethroUK© wrote:

> If it's a moral issue - why do dvd [player] manufacturers support it?

My best guess: if they didn't, the movie studios would develop a
standard that did.

Okay, who just said, "Some studios did try that; it was called DIVX"?
DIVX failed for the most part because there was a viable alternative,
something I doubt would have existed had it not been for Macrovision
(and, to a lesser extent, region control, but that's another matter).
I doubt that most of the studios would have accepted a DIVX-style
"call in to enable your DVDs" format, but eventually the "if you won't
put some sort of copy protection in your players, we'll develop a
separate format that has it and release DVDs that work only in our
machines (but once you buy a DVD, it will work on any of "our" DVD
players without having to pay extra)" types would have won out, and
something tells me that enough major studios would have been behind
this effort that we'd be right about where we are today.

Don Del Grande, (E-Mail Removed)
And how many people STILL won't go to Circuit City because they once
supported DIVX?

JethroUK©

"The dog from that film you saw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:biqlu3$cbr6c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LS44b.2066$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > because the dvd forum who tegether invented dvd, make the manufacturer
> > > promise to do so.
> > >

> > i dont buy any o that
> >

> doesn't make it any less true.
>

> > who are the dvd formum?
> >

> the individual companies who together invented the dvd format - at one

time
> sony and others had rival formats, but they got together before going to
> market to make a single format - dvd.
> they called this alliance ' the dvd forum'
> the own the copyright of the dvd format - want to make one? - pay them a
> license fee. want a license? - include everything they tell you to
> including macrovision hardware.
>

> once again, this is all true - i'm not making it up.

but once again it doesn't answer my question ( where is the motive?)

The dog from that film you saw

"JethroUK©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y254b.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > the individual companies who together invented the dvd format - at one

> time
> > sony and others had rival formats, but they got together before going to
> > market to make a single format - dvd.
> > they called this alliance ' the dvd forum'
> > the own the copyright of the dvd format - want to make one? - pay them a
> > license fee. want a license? - include everything they tell you to
> > including macrovision hardware.
> >

> > once again, this is all true - i'm not making it up.

> but once again it doesn't answer my question ( where is the motive?)

are you being deliberately daft?
the motive is that the big movie studios ( also part of the dvd forum)
wouldn't release their films to the format and therefore allow it's success
without the forum specifying macrovision.
so the motive is those companies that want to prevent copying can do so.

--
Gareth
quote of the day
'nostradamus? -sounds like a rock group to me!'
see my ebay auctions a
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F4B314E61

POD {Ò¿Ó}

Not so long ago, in a Newsgroup, not so very far away POD {Ò¿Ó} whipped out
his laser sword, set it to tickle and prodded The dog from that film you
saw with his throbbing weapon, who gasped out in wonder to all in
uk.media.dvd:

> the dvd player contains hardware that generates macrovision
> but
> it wont do it unless the disc specifically tells it to

*******s, Macrovision is encoded in the data stream of the signal on the
disc, there's nowt in a DVD player to generate it.

--

New Photoshop CS Contains Macrovision Spyware Rick Digital Photography 411 01-20-2005 09:23 PM
Re: Macrovision Jim D DVD Video 44 09-03-2003 02:16 AM
Re: Macrovision Spot DVD Video 1 09-01-2003 12:31 AM
Code Free macrovision free dvd player xwing Man DVD Video 0 08-22-2003 01:07 PM
REQ:Macrovision hack ALBA 109 BIG J DVD Video 0 08-16-2003 07:47 PM

Advertisments