Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Marketing of foreign films

Re: Marketing of foreign films

Gunther Gloop

Mobutu wrote:
> I'm sick of respectable foreign films being given stupid
> DVD covers in an atempt to make them 'eye-catching' to the
> public.
>
> Look at the recent critically acclaimed Finnish film "The
> man without a past". This is the very good poster that was
> used to promote the film around the world:
>
> http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0311519/poster.jpg
>
> Now look at the idiotic DVD cover it was given for the UK
> release a few days ago:
>
> http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
>
> The latter is clearly aimed at people with ADHD. It has to
> be as LOUD as possible to try to attract attention. It has
> to have single-phrase review excerpts screaming at the
> customer to convince them to take a chance and watch a
> foreign-language film.
>
> It is the same case with many other films. It's a disgrace
> and it needs to stop.

I don't really have a problem with promoters trying their best to make a
movie attractive to more people, but the colour scheme (if nothing else) in
the new photo above is _horrible_. The blue & yellow of the original poster
is very nice (not mad about the image itself though -as a poster). If they
used the new 'silly pics' with the colour scheme of the original I think it
would make for a much more attractive all-round package.

-Kevin.

--
Reply to: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)