Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Recordable DVD Advice

Re: Recordable DVD Advice

CAM

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Russell Spearing"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
>personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a decision on
>which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have narrowed
>it down to 3 (mainly because they are all available from Novatech which is
>local to me.
>
>The 3 on the short list are:
>
>Sony DWU10A
>NEC ND1300
>Pioneer DVR-106

Pioneer a06 without a shadow of a doubt.
Pioneer make the best pc burners and can burn to most brands where the
sony can be a bit particular with what you feed into it.

need more help.
go check out dvdrhelp.com

>I am really concerned about compatability with various media (especially
>cheap media) and actual writing speeds attainable.

cheap media is always a concern across different platforms.

>Any advice or comments welcome
>
>Regards Russell

Doug Ramage

"CAM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Russell Spearing"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
> >personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a decision

on
> >which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have

narrowed
> >it down to 3 (mainly because they are all available from Novatech which

is
> >local to me.
> >
> >The 3 on the short list are:
> >
> >Sony DWU10A
> >NEC ND1300
> >Pioneer DVR-106

> Pioneer a06 without a shadow of a doubt.
> Pioneer make the best pc burners and can burn to most brands where the
> sony can be a bit particular with what you feed into it.
>
> need more help.
> go check out dvdrhelp.com
>

> >I am really concerned about compatability with various media (especially
> >cheap media) and actual writing speeds attainable.

> cheap media is always a concern across different platforms.
>

> >Any advice or comments welcome
> >
> >Regards Russell

I have the Sony U10A and it has worked flawlessly (so far.........). It has
burned every piece of media (-R and +R) which I have thrown at it, including
cheapy stuff at 50p per dvd.

The Sony has a marginally better spec than the Pioneer - not had much
dealings with the NEC.

Note there is now a triple format drive available - LG 4040B which does
dvd-ram (@3x) in addition to dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw. It's about 120 + VAT. I
have ordered one, which be delivered today (hopefully).
--
Doug Ramage

keved

>> The 3 on the short list are:
>>
>> Sony DWU10A
>> NEC ND1300
>> Pioneer DVR-106

I have both the Sony and the Pioneer in my Mac. Whenever I'm going to burn
multiple copies of my DVD projects I'll set them up to burn at the same time
and see which wins. So far the Pioneer has always finished slightly ahead
of the Sony, but we're only talking by seconds. They're both on the same
IDE.

I've yet to get a coaster off either one of them (except for my own stupid
editing mistakes).

GSX Neil

Doug,

Where are you buying DVD's at 50p from? Also, where are you getting the LG
drive from? Please share your source!

NEIL.

"Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bi4d6v$52udr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "CAM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Russell Spearing"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >I am looking to buy a recordable DVD drive for my PC and wanted some
> > >personal experiences, advice and general input to help me make a

decision
> on
> > >which one to go for. I definately want a dual standard one and have

> narrowed
> > >it down to 3 (mainly because they are all available from Novatech which

> is
> > >local to me.
> > >
> > >The 3 on the short list are:
> > >
> > >Sony DWU10A
> > >NEC ND1300
> > >Pioneer DVR-106

> > Pioneer a06 without a shadow of a doubt.
> > Pioneer make the best pc burners and can burn to most brands where the
> > sony can be a bit particular with what you feed into it.
> >
> > need more help.
> > go check out dvdrhelp.com
> >

> > >I am really concerned about compatability with various media

(especially
> > >cheap media) and actual writing speeds attainable.

> > cheap media is always a concern across different platforms.
> >

> > >Any advice or comments welcome
> > >
> > >Regards Russell
> > >

> I have the Sony U10A and it has worked flawlessly (so far.........). It

has
> burned every piece of media (-R and +R) which I have thrown at it,

including
> cheapy stuff at 50p per dvd.
>
> The Sony has a marginally better spec than the Pioneer - not had much
> dealings with the NEC.
>
> Note there is now a triple format drive available - LG 4040B which does
> dvd-ram (@3x) in addition to dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw. It's about 120 + VAT.

> have ordered one, which be delivered today (hopefully).
> --
> Doug Ramage

Doug Ramage

Neil,

Dvds came from BigPockets.

LG 4040B, which has arrived but is still in its box, came from Komplett.
Although Scan are also selling them, but I can recall their stock levels.
--
Doug Ramage

news:bi4mvq$4bq$(E-Mail Removed)...