Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Panasonic & Pioneer DVD players - time remaining display and black level settings?

Re: Panasonic & Pioneer DVD players - time remaining display and black level settings?

SloPoke

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ies (John) wrote:

>I have owned 2 Pioneer DVD players (DVL-909 and DV-C505) which have an
>on-screen display of the remaining time on a DVD (chapter and entire
>title). I then bought a Panasonic DVD-S35, and I could not find any
>way to display the remaining time. All you get is the current time and
>a slider bar which is not that helpful. Is there a way to display the
>remaining time or do Panasonic players not have this feature?

Press the down arrow when the bar is displaying. Too bad it doesn't
work for SVCD's.

>Basically, that is the only thing I don't like about the Panasonic
>player. I think its picture and black level are really nice. The only
>thing I don't like about the Pioneer DV-C505 player is I can't find
>any way to adjust the black level setting which is overly bright on my
>TV compared to the Panasonic S35 and my older Pioneer 909 whose black
>levels are fine on the same TV. Is there a way to adjust the black
>level on the Pioneer C505?

I like the picture too, except for a couple of problems. When in 480p
mode, the menus on a DVD flicker pretty bad. Don't notice it during
the video though. And in C2 picture mode, the color/tint has a
tendency to flicker for some reason. Doesn't happen in U1 mode. It's
also too bad it doesn't play 25fps PAL SVCD's properly. They play,
but the picture judders along on any tracking shots. My previous JVC
didn't do this, but the picture quality wasn't as good.