Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Copying DVD

Re: Copying DVD

RAKE

''(c) OTHER RIGHTS, ETC., NOT AFFECTED.-(1) Nothing in this
section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to copyright
infringement, including fair use, under this title.

DMCA

"Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1fzsob3.1rdylul1civnv6N%neillmassello@earthli nk.net...
> RAKE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have 15 DVDs that have failed since I bought them, and not because of
> > children. Some of the double-sided double-layer discs, like Gettsyburg,
> > are very, very fragile.
> >
> > Also, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act specifically states that, to
> > paraphrase 'no aspect of this act shall infringe on Fair Use.'

> And what legal authority do you rely on for the proposition that "fair
> use" covers the copying of an entire DVD for "backup" purposes?

RAKE

Of course (and I have no law background), I understand that the conflict of
this paragraph with the paragraphs establishing
prohibition against circumventing copy protection measures is the crux of
some of the legal wrangling going on. See the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (www.eff.org) for further details.

"RAKE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhmlgo$hs1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ''(c) OTHER RIGHTS, ETC., NOT AFFECTED.-(1) Nothing in this
> section shall affect rights, remedies, limitations, or defenses to

copyright
> infringement, including fair use, under this title.
>
> DMCA
>

> "Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1fzsob3.1rdylul1civnv6N%neillmassello@earthli nk.net...
> > RAKE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I have 15 DVDs that have failed since I bought them, and not because

of
> > > children. Some of the double-sided double-layer discs, like

Gettsyburg,
> > > are very, very fragile.
> > >
> > > Also, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act specifically states that, to
> > > paraphrase 'no aspect of this act shall infringe on Fair Use.'

> > And what legal authority do you rely on for the proposition that "fair
> > use" covers the copying of an entire DVD for "backup" purposes?

DarkMatter

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:50:29 -0700, "RAKE" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>You most certainly do need a primer from me.

You're a goddamned, retarded idiot. Go and prime your ass.