Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > i need help

i need help

stratEl

question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
to prevent free riders?

Thank you

Sooner Al [MVP]

Encrypt the wireless network with WPA if your hardware supports it or at the
minimum 128-bit WEP.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wifisecurity

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"stratEl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
> to prevent free riders?
>
> Thank you

(PeteCresswell)

Per stratEl:
>question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
>to prevent free riders?

WPA security.

It's probably on your WAP's admin screen. I get to mine by typing
192.168.1.245 into my browser's address box.

Yours may differ, but it will be some variation on 192.168.1.xxx.
--
PeteCresswell

Bill Whipple

As the others have said, WPA is a must if your equipment supports it. Also,
do not broadcast your SSID. This throws another small stumbling block in
their way. Make sure you are current on all software updates on the O/S and
for the hardware you are using, even firmware updates on things like routers
and access points.

You might also consider running a local firewall on each systems, like the
XP Firewall or Norton Internet Security, to protect the individual systems
in case your network is breached.
--
WLW

"stratEl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) lkaboutsoftware.com...
> question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
> to prevent free riders?
>
> Thank you

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi