Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Dazzle box... I a bit confused?

Re: Dazzle box... I a bit confused?

keved

in article 5HTZa.94231$(E-Mail Removed),
WooduCoodu at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 8/11/03 2:14 PM:

> never ever by anything from Dazzle. the box you're looking for is the
> Canopus ADVC-100 or DataVideo DAC-100. You'll get the best quality and have
> the most flexibility with this method. If that's not important a stand alone
> DVD Recorder is quicker and easier but those are it's only advantages.
>
> www.dvdrhelp.com

Just to emphasize this point...I went to the Apple Store ready with cash in
hand to by the Dazzle. The sales person politely asked me if he could try
to talk me out of it. I agreed and he gave me ample reasons to not make the
purchase, even though the product he did suggest the Formac Studio Pro was
not something they had available. I purchased the Formac elsewhere and I've
been loving it. The quality is excellent and features are great (Tivo like
features for recording from its built in TV/FM tuner).

--keved

RAKE

"keved" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BB61632A.1843D%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> in article 5HTZa.94231$(E-Mail Removed),
> WooduCoodu at (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 8/11/03 2:14 PM:
>
> > never ever by anything from Dazzle. the box you're looking for is the
> > Canopus ADVC-100 or DataVideo DAC-100. You'll get the best quality and

have
> > the most flexibility with this method. If that's not important a stand

alone
> > DVD Recorder is quicker and easier but those are it's only advantages.
> >
> > www.dvdrhelp.com
> >

> Just to emphasize this point...I went to the Apple Store ready with cash

in
> hand to by the Dazzle. The sales person politely asked me if he could try
> to talk me out of it. I agreed and he gave me ample reasons to not make

the
> purchase, even though the product he did suggest the Formac Studio Pro was
> not something they had available. I purchased the Formac elsewhere and

I've
> been loving it. The quality is excellent and features are great (Tivo

like
> features for recording from its built in TV/FM tuner).
>
> --keved

The Dazzle was never intended for Tivo like features and tuner input etc.
The Formac, at $399, is more expensive, and the price of the Panasonic
DMR-50 stand alone recorder, that truly does provide Tivo like
time-slipping.

Derek Janssen

RAKE wrote:

>>Just to emphasize this point...I went to the Apple Store ready with cash in

>>hand to by the Dazzle. The sales person politely asked me if he could try
>>to talk me out of it. I agreed and he gave me ample reasons to not make the
>>purchase, even though the product he did suggest the Formac Studio Pro was
>>not something they had available. I purchased the Formac elsewhere and I've
>>been loving it. The quality is excellent and features are great (Tivo like
>>features for recording from its built in TV/FM tuner).

> There is no Dazzle for Apple.

There is, however, a Dazzle analog->digital (via Firewire
connection--only way to get stuff into iMovie for editing) converter for
Mac OSX.

Converted several tapes to disks on it myself without a major hitch
(iMac w/Superdrive), but, um...just out of curiosity, what WERE the
arguments in favor of the Formac?

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

RAKE

Dazzle has dropped this hardware (and a lot of its product line).

Dazzle has been taken over by Pinnacle.

"keved" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BB63F892.18CCD%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Replying to consolidated quotes:

cash in

try

make the

was

and I've

like

> >> There is no Dazzle for Apple.

> Yes there is, see:
> http://www.detools.com/shop/DAZ/hollywood.html
>
> > There is, however, a Dazzle analog->digital (via Firewire
> > connection--only way to get stuff into iMovie for editing) converter for
> > Mac OSX.

> Actually depending on the hardware you have for your Mac, you can also go

DV
> via FireWire to iMovie, analog->digital via USB, analog->digital via PCI,

or
> import rips from DVDs, CDs, and downloads. In other words, there are tons
> of ways to get stuff into iMovie.
>

> > Converted several tapes to disks on it myself without a major hitch
> > (iMac w/Superdrive), but, um...just out of curiosity, what WERE the
> > arguments in favor of the Formac?

> The arguments weren't so much in favor of the Formac as against the

Dazzle.
> Poor quality, too many reports of "it just not working", and lame

software.

> Also I knew if I bought the Dazzle, I would do a bunch of projects I had
> been holding off on and then the box would collect dust. Meanwhile

because
> of the Tivo-like functions of the Formac, I'm using it everyday.
>
> > The Dazzle was never intended for Tivo like features and tuner input

etc.

> What does the original intent have to do with anything? Of course there

was
> a lack of intention for a tuner as there is no tuner. The point is that

the
> Formac does everything the Dazzle does *and* has these other very useful
> features. This combined with extremely bad word of mouth on the Dazzle
> product and positive reviews for the Formac, led me to the Dazzle product.
>
> > The Formac, at $399, is more expensive, and the price of the Panasonic
> > DMR-50 stand alone recorder, that truly does provide Tivo like
> > time-slipping.

> The Formac is only $100 more, which was worth it for *either* the features
> or from what I've heard from others (who actually only selling the Dazzle
> product) worth it based on quality and reliability.
>
> The idea of buying a stand alone recorder did not appeal to me at all,

since
> it's requiring an extra step to then copy the disks to my computer and

then