Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: WinDVD 3&5 say "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" - but File Manager can read all files on the drive!

Re: WinDVD 3&5 say "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" - but File Manager can read all files on the drive!

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 12 Aug 2003 03:54:52 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (A Poster)
wrote:

>I get the message "Cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device" from WinDVD!
>

>BUT in Windows (File) Manager the DVDROM drive (Z: - as it always has
>been) is listed, and the files on it are fully readable!
>
>Audio CDs play perfectly.
>
>And I can play DVDs by manually getting WinDVD to play the .VOB files
>on the Z: drive. Of course, that means manually selecting another file
>every 20 minutes or so (yech), and I lose all the DVD's menu features.
>

>Isn't this weird? The DVDROM and all the files are fully accessible
>as a drive (Z, but WinDVD (v3 and now also v5) cannot find it.
>
>HELP! HELP!!

Sounds like the player is not properly reading the inside track of the
disc, where the menu is. This could be due to misalignment or maybe
just dirt on the lens. Try installing another DVDrom, even just
temporarily, to eliminate that as the problem.

A vague, unlikely possibilty is a screwed-up region lock, again this
would be a problem with the hardware, not software.

.. Steve .