Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Susan George movies wanted

Re: Susan George movies wanted

KentuckyBootleg

Hello,

www.amazon.co.uk
has "Straw Dogs" DVD
& "Fright" used DVD Region 2 DVDs.

NoOne

"Lithurge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:RPVZa.889$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> If you fancy saving some money go to www.play.com and buy Straw
> Dogs from them, it's only 8.99. (You should be able to find it
> in any local shops if you can't wait for it to be posted, not
> sure if it's on sale prices though)
>
> As for a british film being unavailable on R2 I'm guessing your
> new to DVD? You'll find a lot of inconsistency about what's
> available in what region, usually coming down to whoever holds
> the rights in the particular locale not thinking theres a big
> enough market.
>
> That Zshop Fright looks to be a video to me rather than a DVD.
> So it's looking as though it's an R1 release only for DVD so
> far.
>
> To answer your question re PowerDVD hack in your original post,
> you need two things, one to make sure your DVD drive is region
> free (to do this you may need to flash the firmware, be warned
> this can break it if not done properly.). Two to get yourself a
> copy of DVD genie that you can use to change region. (It's
> free).
>
> Go to www.imatrix.com for more info.
>
> I believe there is some program you can buy that means you don't
> have to flash the DVD drive firmware, but I can't remember the
> name. A google search should produce it.
>
> Nick

Thanks! Yes, you're right, I 'am' very new to DVD and it's all a bit much
for a newbie.
My drive is a Panasonic but it's an oem (Gateway) drive and flashing it
could be a costly mistake.
I'd love to do it, but I ain't got the balls for it!
I too thought the offer on Amazon was for a VHS tape rather than DVD, but
wasn't too sure.
Maybe I should just get the NTSC version, but as for how I'm going to view
it...'hmm!!
I have a standalone DVD player in the house too, but I don't know if there
is a way to make it play NTSC (in colour).
The DVD player is a SuperVision 2500 and seems pretty basic. I know very
little about hacks/codes etc.,.
My TV is a Sony 28" Trinitron widescreen, but is a PAL only and might not
play an NTSC DVD even if I did find a hack for my DVD player....'or would
it?! Complicated stuff for me I'm afraid.
Geo.

Lithurge

"NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:tfc_a.600$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks! Yes, you're right, I 'am' very new to DVD and it's
> all a bit much for a newbie.
> My drive is a Panasonic but it's an oem (Gateway) drive and
> flashing it could be a costly mistake.
> I'd love to do it, but I ain't got the balls for it!
> I too thought the offer on Amazon was for a VHS tape rather
> than DVD, but wasn't too sure.
> Maybe I should just get the NTSC version, but as for how
> I'm going to view it...'hmm!!
> I have a standalone DVD player in the house too, but I
> don't know if there is a way to make it play NTSC (in
> colour). The DVD player is a SuperVision 2500 and seems
> pretty basic. I know very little about hacks/codes etc.,.
> My TV is a Sony 28" Trinitron widescreen, but is a PAL only
> and might not play an NTSC DVD even if I did find a hack
> for my DVD player....'or would it?! Complicated stuff for
> me I'm afraid. Geo.

Welcome to a wonderful world

You'll find a lot of very helpful info here:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/umdvdfaq/

Most UK players will output a 'fake' PAL from NTSC discs that
a PAL TV will cope with, not sure on your make, nor even if
it's multi region. Having said that a lot of the less well
known brands are multi region out of the box.

If it isn't & you've got a bit of spare cash then it may be
worth checking Argos out for their Alba players, as these are
cheap, region free & you can always take them back if you or
your TV don't like them. Or you can get pre-flashed pc drives
(my pioneer cost about 50 - 60 from www.overclockers.co.uk)

This is the program for PC I mentioned that avoids flashing
the bios, you get a free trial, but at some point you have to
stump up $40.

http://www.dvdidle.com/

I've not used it myself, so have no idea how effective it is.