Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Impmon

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
typed:

>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

[snip]

I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
I'm doing fine.

There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox.

Laurence Payne

>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

>[snip]
>
>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
>I'm doing fine.
>
>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

Could it kill a few of them, do you think?

physics-teacher@rooseveltHS.edu

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
>typed:
>
>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

>[snip]
>
>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
>I'm doing fine.
>
>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.

A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
killed or destroyed.

Sam Goldwasser

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
>
> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
> Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
> killed or destroyed.

And a flock of pigs was just sighted flying over the that stadium
on its seasonal migration, somehow missing those deadly beams....

I pity anyone who takes any of your classes.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

CJT

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
>>typed:
>>

>>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

>>[snip]
>>
>>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
>>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
>>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
>>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
>>I'm doing fine.
>>
>>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

> Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
>
> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
> Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
> killed or destroyed.

God help your physics students.

family

also if they were that deadly they would be , A: on the black market or ,
B: a government super weapon. not sitting in my home waiting to kill me for
watching to much porn .
y.b.
"Jonathan Kamens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgob6e$q11$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Removed "alt.cats" and "alt.business.insurance from
> Newsgroups line.)
>
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.

> You're not much of a physics teacher, are you?
>
> Oh, wait, you're just a lie-spouting troll, not actually a
> physics teacher. But what the heck, I'm in a playful mood,
> so I'll rise to your bait....
>
> >A laser can go through the smallest hole,

> True.
>
> >and if the disk is rotating
> >inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
> >angles, and many thousand times per second.

> True, I suppose.
>
> >Thus the laser beams
> >could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
> >Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history.

> False. Lasers that are powerful enough to "instantly" kill
> even one person are much larger than anything that could fit
> into a DVD player. Not to mention the fact that they cost
> many times what a DVD player costs, so no manufacturer would
> install a laser that powerful in any DVD player. Not to
> mention the fact that they require far more power than a
> typical house circuit would allow before blowing the fuse or
> breaker.
>
> If it were actually possible to build a fatal laser small
> enough to fit into a DVD player, cheaper than the cost of a
> DVD player, using less than 15A of power, then by now, people
> would be shooting other people with them. Or, even better,
> using them for various useful purposes such as welding.

Impmon

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
typed:

>A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
>inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
>angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
>could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
>Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
>can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
>seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
>apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
>killed or destroyed.

So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
speeder.

Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.

--

Impmon wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
> typed:
>

>>A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
>>inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
>>angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
>>could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
>>Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
>>can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
>>seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
>>apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
>>killed or destroyed.

> So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
> of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
> burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
> novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
> speeder.
>
> Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.

You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
you!

Karen Chuplis

in article (E-Mail Removed), CJT at (E-Mail Removed) wrote
on 8/5/03 1:03 PM:

> Impmon wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
>> typed:
>>

>>> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
>>> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
>>> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
>>> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
>>> Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
>>> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
>>> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
>>> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
>>> killed or destroyed.

>> So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
>> of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
>> burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
>> novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
>> speeder.
>>
>> Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
>>

> You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
> capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
> you!

Water can kill you too.

Karen

Jeeters

> > So you thinksomeone should get those lazy ass govermnet to force recall
> > of everything that runs on laser. CD player, MD player, CD-ROM, CD
> > burner, DVD player, DVD-ROM, DVD burner, laserdisk player, those
> > novelity laser pointers, and the laser speed gun police uses to catch
> > speeder.

Don't forget all the product scanners at supermarkets and department stores.
After all, if somebody looks into them, they'll get their eyeballs burned
out!

> > Looks like it's time to dust off my old radar jammer and my CED player.
> >

> You don't think those CED players are dangerous? I hear they work on
> capacitance, and a capacitor charged to a few thousand volts can kill
> you!

They don't really use any large capacitors or anything I believe. Yes they
use a "capacitance" technology, but it's something about the changes in
electrical charge between the spinning disk and the stylus. We're talking
static electricity levels, I think.

Besides, I once took a zap from about 10K volts worth of capacitors once
when building a science fair project and I lived to tell about it. Knocked
me to the floor on my butt, though! (Actually, I fell backwards onto the
cat's scratching post.)

You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
amps!"