Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Dave C.

> God help your physics students.

Don't worry about them. They were all killed by radiation from DVD players.
-Dave

Cheryl

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
>>
>> A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is

rotating
>> inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
>> angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
>> could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine
>> gun. Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So,
>> yes it
>> can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
>> seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
>> apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
>> killed or destroyed.

> And a flock of pigs was just sighted flying over the that stadium
> on its seasonal migration, somehow missing those deadly beams....
>
> I pity anyone who takes any of your classes.

You guys are *too* much. Falling for both the original troll and this
one? HAHAHAHA! The email address is the biggest clue that this is
not a physics teacher but is pulling yer leg. YHBT.

Peter Gottlieb

I'm simply using this thread as a rich source of humor material.

"Sam Goldwasser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>

> I pity anyone who takes any of your classes.

Karl S

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "Dave C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Holy ****, you need to go back to school. I work with devices which
>DELIBERATELY emit laser beams. These devices are at least 1000 times as
>strong as the lasers used in DVD players. I regularly walk right through
>many criss-crossed laser beams, multiple times per day.

Apparently they have destroyed the part of your brain that detects
humor.

Impmon

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:38:29 -0400, "Jeeters" <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>Besides, I once took a zap from about 10K volts worth of capacitors once
>when building a science fair project and I lived to tell about it. Knocked
>me to the floor on my butt, though! (Actually, I fell backwards onto the
>cat's scratching post.)

Try dealing with a 19" color TV CRT. It packs 30Kv even when it's not
in use. I had the misfortune of finding how nasty that shock can be (the
CRT wasn't even connected at all) and I must have spent the next 4 or 5
days getting my hair back down.

>You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
>amps!"

Even amps don't kill. An 11 year old boy was struck by lightening in
Michigan a few days ago and still walked away with only singed hair and
scar from his neck to his navel. Lighting bolt carries something like
10,000 amps and several thousands volt.
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox.

Impmon

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:10:29 GMT, "Dave C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>Holy ****, you need to go back to school.

[snip]

I think you're missing something. It's old but I have something that
can help you: http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/setuphumour.gif
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox.

Don Klipstein

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Impmon wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:38:29 -0400, "Jeeters" <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter, it's the
>amps!"
>
>Even amps don't kill. An 11 year old boy was struck by lightening in
>Michigan a few days ago and still walked away with only singed hair and
>scar from his neck to his navel. Lighting bolt carries something like
>10,000 amps and several thousands volt.

Electrocution is unreliable, and is most likely when the current is
power-line-frequency or low-audio-frequency AC (or pulsating DC), and the
current is in the range of .1 to 1 amp and the shock goes through the
upper torso. This is what is most likely to cause ventricular
fibrillation, which is how most electrocution victims die. Beware that
currents outside the .1 to 1 amp range, although less likely to cause
ventricular fibrillation, can do so.
Cardiac arrest is another way to die from electric shock, but it happens
less easily than ventricular fibrillation does and is most favored by
higher currents around or over 1 amp. The heart is better at recovering
from shocks that paralyze it completely than it is at recovering from
shocks that trigger ventricular fibrillation.

Other ways to die from electric shock include breathing being paralyzed
(typically from prolonged shock through the brain or chest) or by injuries
caused by a "grand mal"-like seizure that a shock through the brain
(usually AC for at least a few cycles) may cause. People may die from a
non-lethal shock if involuntary muscle contractions or being startled
cause them to fall, stab themselves on nearby sharp objects or contact a
nearby source of a lethal shock.

How electric chairs work: The voltage is typically 2300 volts and the
current is many amps. If the condemned's heart is not shocked out of
commission, then the condemned dies from vital organs being cooked or by
breathing and the heart being paralyzed long enough to deprive the brain
of oxygen long enough to be unable to resume breathing when the shock is
ended. Other ways to kill someone from electrocution are unreliable,
possibly except for an electric chair with an EKG (to apply a shock when
its application is most likely to disrupt the heart's rhythm) or using
enough current to make someone explode. Beware that surviving electric
shocks can be similarly unreliable.

Back to lightning: Sometimes it can "spark around" what it hits if
the current multiplied by the target's resistance is a voltage high enough
to start a new path around the target. Obviously, someone conducting
enough current from a lightning strike to make this happen has a
significant (but short of 100%) chance of cardiac arrest.

- Don Klipstein ((E-Mail Removed))

Impmon

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:21:29 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Don
Klipstein) typed:

> Back to lightning: Sometimes it can "spark around" what it hits if
>the current multiplied by the target's resistance is a voltage high enough
>to start a new path around the target. Obviously, someone conducting
>enough current from a lightning strike to make this happen has a
>significant (but short of 100%) chance of cardiac arrest.

In other word, if you're caught outside in a storm with no shelter, your
best chance of surviving is to let yourself get wet so electricity would
only cook your skin and not your gut.
--
All viruses and spams are automatically removed by my ISP before
reaching my inbox.

Geoff Miller

"Jeeters" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You know what electricians say? "It's not the volts that matter,
> it's the amps!"

A friend of mine once told me he'd seen a black, white and red
OSHA-style warning sticker that read, "CAUTION: 2000 Ohms."

Geoff

--
If you want peace, work for superior firepower.

Chris Street

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:24:11 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:27:08 GMT, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:12:13 -0500, (E-Mail Removed)
>>typed:
>>
>>>player became cracked during the fall to the floor, emitting the fatal
>>>radiation which killed the entire family of seven.

>>[snip]
>>
>>I'm having a hard time with that. Granted the laser inside the DVD
>>player is harmful but unless you looked directly at the laster, you
>>won't be harmed by a cracked case. I've had the case off of my DVD
>>player for a few days when I was trying to get the spindle working and
>>I'm doing fine.
>>
>>There is no way the radiation from the player can killthe whole family.

>Being a physics teacher, let me explain something.
>
>A laser can go through the smallest hole, and if the disk is rotating
>inside, the laser beams can be reflected at millions of different
>angles, and many thousand times per second. Thus the laser beams
>could spew out of that crack like bullets coming out of a machine gun.
>Anyone in the path of these beams are instantly history. So, yes it
>can kill a whole family and even a whole stadium full of people in
>seconds. Lasers are dangerous and if one gets out of control, like
>apparently this one did, there is no telling who or what will be
>killed or destroyed.

LOL - very good!
--
79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.