Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > TROLL ALERT! Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

TROLL ALERT! Re: DVD Player Kills Family of Seven

Hungry

DVD players do not emit radiation.

Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

Sam Goldwasser

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Hungry) writes:

> DVD players do not emit radiation.
>
> Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
> miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

I wouldn't quite go that far. If the unit is broken and the objective
lens has fallen off, the beam could be quite collimated with a power
similar to a laser pointer. While eye damage is unlikely, looking directly
into it is still not advisable.

If it's a high performance DVD recorder, then the power can be as much as
100 mW and that is definitely an instant risk to vision.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Jordan Lund

(E-Mail Removed) (Hungry) wrote in message news:<93CDE880AHungry@216.164.226.47>...
> DVD players do not emit radiation.
>
> Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
> miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

I think the source of this troll is pretty simple...

light
amplification through
stimulated
emission of
RADIATION! OMG! LASERS ARE RADIOACTIVE!

- Jordan

Bob Ward

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:12:19 -0800, Karl S <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 5 Aug 2003 01:27:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Hungry) wrote:
>
>>DVD players do not emit radiation.
>>

>Take the cover off of your player and check it with a Geiger counter.
>
>You will find that you are wrong.

Yeah, and the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary, either.

Peter

I don't know whats more sad, that someone put a "Troll Alert" on this,
or that it was probably a good idea to do so anyways.

--
At the source of every error which is blamed on the
computer you will find at least two human errors,

Scott in Aztlan

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:49:55 -0400, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know whats more sad, that someone put a "Troll Alert" on this,
>or that it was probably a good idea to do so anyways.

We are witness to the de-volution of the human race. I've noticed for some time
that the general population is getting dumber and lazier; it was only a matter
of time until this trend appeared in that subset of the population that reads
USENET.

---
I need a new .sig

rander3127@rogers.com

On 5 Aug 2003 01:27:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Hungry) wrote:

>DVD players do not emit radiation.
>
>Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
>miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

Honestly, for people who didn't know this, why even
waste your energy? They are idiots.
-Rich

Arkon24fps

"Hungry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> DVD players do not emit radiation.
>
> Like CD players, they do have a low power laser, but the power is so
> miniscule you could look right into it with no risk of harm.

Not true. Looking directly into the laser while on (which is not possible
since it will not switch on unless a cd or DVD is loaded) could harm your
eyes.

John DeGroof

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:08:47 GMT, "Arkon24fps" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Not true. Looking directly into the laser while on (which is not possible
>since it will not switch on unless a cd or DVD is loaded) could harm your
>eyes.

"Could" is the key word, but the chances are extremely small. I've
operated some very powerful lasers, so I know a thing or two about
them. While it's not a good practice to stare into any laser, you
have to know something about them first, and show them the respect
they deserve.

Lasers are rated by output power. Laser pointers are rated in
milliwatts (typically 2-5mW), and it's not legal to sell anything over
5mW without a license (most say "peak power < 5mW"). OSHA determined
it's safe to look at a 5mW laser for a certain amount of time (I
believe it's around 1000 seconds, but don't quote me on that - look it
up if you really want to know).

Think about it logically. Damage is caused by heat. Can you feel the
heat from your laser pointer? No. My 5mW green pointer barely
registers on an LCD thermometer. Just like smoking cigarettes won't
burn your mouth, continuous exposure can cause cancer. Damage is a
factor of power and time. Think of cooking in a hot frying pan in 10
minutes vs a slow cooker over 8 hours. The result is the same, but
power (heat) and time are the factors. Same thing here.

Think about it practically. Clubs here in LA use green YAG lasers
typically rated around 3-5 *WATTS* (no "milli" here folks). They
split the beam for effects and shine it directly at and into the
audience. This is called "audience scanning", and while technically
illegal, it's very common practice. If you got a 5 watt beam directly
in your eye, it'd do permanent damage. Obviously the beam that enters
your eye at the club repeatedly throughout the night is much lower
power (due to the split), but is far more power than your CD player
laser, and causes no damage. The reason there's a warning on the CD
player laser is most likely due to the *potential* for damage, and
liability issues.

I've used full spectrum color lasers rated at around 30 watts, and
it'll light paper on fire in about 1/4 second. If that beam entered
your eye, it'd boil off the water in your eye pretty much instantly.

There are plenty of other factors involved as well, but this is just a
simple message to stay calm and don't freak out if someone shines a
little laser pointer in your general direction. They're quite as
dangerous as many would have you believe.

--
John DeGroof, Compressionist
DVD, DAD, DVD Audio, MPEG, AC3, DTS, PCM, DSD, MLP

Stan Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in
misc.consumers, John DeGroof <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(arguing that it's safe to stare into a laser pointer for 16
minutes)
>Think about it logically. Damage is caused by heat. Can you feel the
>heat from your laser pointer?

By your logic, since you can't feel heat from the sun during an
eclipse, looking directly at it will not damage your eyes.

Since doctors are pretty unanimous in telling us not to look
directly at an eclipse, either they're all lying or your logic is
flawed.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry