Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Holy Crap! Daredevil on DVD!

Re: Holy Crap! Daredevil on DVD!

Scot Gardner

"Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Let me start off by saying that I was absolutely pleased at punch
> when I walked out of the movie theater on opening day of Daredevil.

Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

"An unlikable and pretentious film that probably ranks as the most
disappointing would-be blockbuster in years."
-- John Beifuss, COMMERCIAL APPEAL (MEMPHIS, TN)

"One of the biggest misfires in its genre since Godzilla."
-- Mick LaSalle, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"The flick misses the bull's-eye by such a length that nobody except
hard-core fanboys and leather fetishists will be panting for the sequel
promised at the end."
-- Lou Lumenick, NEW YORK POST

""Daredevil" has a rare quality for a film based on a comic book--it's
boring."
-- Boo Allen, DENTON RECORD CHRONICLE (TX)

"Simply put, Daredevil is horribly directed; the visual style ranges
from derivative to ugly and the action sequences are often incoherent."
-- Ethan Alter, FILM JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL

"The dialogue is dreadful, a stale sort of hokum that wouldn't make the
cut at Marvel Comics."
-- John Anderson, NEWSDAY

"There'll be plenty of ragging to go around once audiences get a dose of
the dullest live-action comic strip on record, one that lacks even an
interesting villain."
-- Mike Clark, USA TODAY

"Daredevil is nothing more than a big train wreck of a film. Too bad
those responsible for bringing it to theaters were not on the train when
it derailed."
-- Josh Gilchrist, BILLINGS OUTPOST (MONTANA)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Daredevil-1120302/

Ratmaster2000

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20030730101339.486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Cernovog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Let me start off by saying that I was absolutely pleased at punch
> > when I walked out of the movie theater on opening day of Daredevil.

> Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
> another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:
>
> "An unlikable and pretentious film that probably ranks as the most
> disappointing would-be blockbuster in years."
> -- John Beifuss, COMMERCIAL APPEAL (MEMPHIS, TN)
>
> "One of the biggest misfires in its genre since Godzilla."
> -- Mick LaSalle, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

Well I am not going to comment on daredevil since I have not seen it, but
HEHE, I like the slam to the Matthew Broderick Love Story err Godzilla
Heck, that movie makes the campy 70's godzillas look good.

> "The flick misses the bull's-eye by such a length that nobody except
> hard-core fanboys and leather fetishists will be panting for the sequel
> promised at the end."
> -- Lou Lumenick, NEW YORK POST
>
> ""Daredevil" has a rare quality for a film based on a comic book--it's
> boring."
> -- Boo Allen, DENTON RECORD CHRONICLE (TX)
>
> "Simply put, Daredevil is horribly directed; the visual style ranges
> from derivative to ugly and the action sequences are often incoherent."
> -- Ethan Alter, FILM JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL
>
> "The dialogue is dreadful, a stale sort of hokum that wouldn't make the
> cut at Marvel Comics."
> -- John Anderson, NEWSDAY
>
> "There'll be plenty of ragging to go around once audiences get a dose of
> the dullest live-action comic strip on record, one that lacks even an
> interesting villain."
> -- Mike Clark, USA TODAY
>
> "Daredevil is nothing more than a big train wreck of a film. Too bad
> those responsible for bringing it to theaters were not on the train when
> it derailed."
> -- Josh Gilchrist, BILLINGS OUTPOST (MONTANA)
>
> http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Daredevil-1120302/

Mark Spatny

Scot Gardner,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
> another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
posted. I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade, Hulk,
the last two Batman movies, the last two Superman movies, or even the
first X-men movie. I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
dull Matrix sequel.

Peter Briggs

Mark Spatny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
> posted. I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade, Hulk,
> the last two Batman movies, the last two Superman movies, or even the
> first X-men movie. I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
> dull Matrix sequel.

I agree with all your comparisons, Mark (although I'd put DD on a par
with the first "X-Men")

Dick Sidbury

Mark Spatny wrote:
> Scot Gardner,(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Are you actually talking about the movie reviewed below, or is there
>>another _Daredevil_ movie that the rest of us missed:

> Sorry Scott, but I have to respectfully disagree with the reviews you
> posted.

Yeah, it was a decent comic book movie. I'm not sorry that I bought the
DVD (especially since it was only 10.99).

I found the movie fairly enjoyable, more so than Blade,

agreed

> Hulk,

somehow I missed this

> the last two Batman movies,

anything is better than the last two Batman movies

> the last two Superman movies,

well maybe these aren't better than the last two Batman movies but maybe
they are

> or even the first X-men movie.

Well I thought the first X-men movie was better than Daredevil. I may
have liked X1 better than X2.

> I certainly enjoyed it more then the mind-mumbingly
> dull Matrix sequel.

Yes.

dick

PeterTHX

"Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I wouldn't rate it as a great movie, but it was some fairly
> decent entertainment. I won't fit into the group you just
> described. I enjoyed many of the movies that people love
> to bash on this group.

Or it's simply Affleck bashing.
Plenty of people dis "The Sum of All Fears" but that is a pretty darn good
film and he's not miscast as many have said.

I also have the feeling "Gigli", while it may indeed may be a bad movie,
isn't the horrid stinker that people say it is.
They simply want to see J-Lo and Ben-Lo fail miserably. I don't care for him
much either, but I don't HATE him like some seem to need.