Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to print using a home network printer....HELP?

Unable to print using a home network printer....HELP?

=?Utf-8?B?RHVyYmFuYXRvcg==?=

I have setup up a network in my house using a wired desktop & a wireless
laptop pc's. The desktop is connected to the internet via a router & modem.
It also has a HP deskjet printer connected to it. When the LAN was first
setup I was able to print using both pc's. Now I can only print using the
desktop pc & under ''printers & faxes'' in the ''Control Panel'' of my laptop
I have an ''Unable to connect'' message appearing under my printer, which is
also the default printer. I'm running Windows XP Pro on both systems....what
can be the problem & the solution?

Thank you

PS-I have also installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on the laptop recently, could
this be the cause of my problem?

Bill Whipple

You may want to take a look at the article:

http://www.itcsg.com/Tech/Sharing.shtml

HTH,
--
WLW

"Durbanator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have setup up a network in my house using a wired desktop & a wireless
> laptop pc's. The desktop is connected to the internet via a router &
> modem.
> It also has a HP deskjet printer connected to it. When the LAN was first
> setup I was able to print using both pc's. Now I can only print using the
> desktop pc & under ''printers & faxes'' in the ''Control Panel'' of my
> laptop
> I have an ''Unable to connect'' message appearing under my printer, which
> is
> also the default printer. I'm running Windows XP Pro on both
> systems....what
> can be the problem & the solution?
>
> Thank you
>
> PS-I have also installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on the laptop recently,
> could
> this be the cause of my problem?

Malke

Durbanator wrote:

> I have setup up a network in my house using a wired desktop & a
> wireless laptop pc's. The desktop is connected to the internet via a
> router & modem. It also has a HP deskjet printer connected to it. When
> the LAN was first setup I was able to print using both pc's. Now I can
> only print using the desktop pc & under ''printers & faxes'' in the
> ''Control Panel'' of my laptop I have an ''Unable to connect'' message
> appearing under my printer, which is also the default printer. I'm
> running Windows XP Pro on both systems....what can be the problem &
> the solution?
>
> Thank you
>
> PS-I have also installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on the laptop recently,
> could this be the cause of my problem?

Yes, NAV has Internet Worm Protection which is a simple firewall. It
could be conflicting with whatever firewall you were using before. Turn
off NAV's IWP and continue using your original firewall. We know your
original firewall was configured correctly since you could previously
share the printer.

If that doesn't work, make sure you actually added the printer to your
laptop. XP does this automatic search for printers and if the drivers
are available, you don't have to do anything more. Sometimes you need
to install the printer, though. Do this with the Add Printer wizard in
the Printers folder.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?RHVyYmFuYXRvcg==?=

"Durbanator" wrote:

> I have setup up a network in my house using a wired desktop & a wireless
> laptop pc's. The desktop is connected to the internet via a router & modem.
> It also has a HP deskjet printer connected to it. When the LAN was first
> setup I was able to print using both pc's. Now I can only print using the
> desktop pc & under ''printers & faxes'' in the ''Control Panel'' of my laptop
> I have an ''Unable to connect'' message appearing under my printer, which is
> also the default printer. I'm running Windows XP Pro on both systems....what
> can be the problem & the solution?
>
> Thank you
>
> PS-I have also installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on the laptop recently, could
> this be the cause of my problem?

Success.......
Malke, I also had my Zone Alarm Pro firewall disabled & the printing came
back to life. Thank you & Bill for your assistance.

Malke

Durbanator wrote:

> Success.......
> Malke, I also had my Zone Alarm Pro firewall disabled & the printing
> came
> back to life. Thank you & Bill for your assistance.

You're most welcome. You do have at least one firewall running, yes? You
need at least one.

Glad you got it sorted.

Malke
--

"Malke" wrote:

> Durbanator wrote:
>

> > Success.......
> > Malke, I also had my Zone Alarm Pro firewall disabled & the printing
> > came
> > back to life. Thank you & Bill for your assistance.

> You're most welcome. You do have at least one firewall running, yes? You
> need at least one.
>
> Glad you got it sorted.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I have 2 firewalls running for safety....ie WindowsXP & NAV. Thanks for your
concern & assistance Malke.

Malke

Durbanator wrote:

> I have 2 firewalls running for safety....ie WindowsXP & NAV. Thanks
> for your concern & assistance Malke.

You don't need two firewalls running and in fact, that may cause
problems. If by NAV you mean the Internet Worm Protection, I'd disable
it and use XP SP2's Windows Firewall. If you mean Norton Internet
Security firewall, that's a more complete firewall than the WF or NAV's
IWP.

Malke
--

"Malke" wrote:

> Durbanator wrote:
>

> > I have 2 firewalls running for safety....ie WindowsXP & NAV. Thanks
> > for your concern & assistance Malke.

> You don't need two firewalls running and in fact, that may cause
> problems. If by NAV you mean the Internet Worm Protection, I'd disable
> it and use XP SP2's Windows Firewall. If you mean Norton Internet
> Security firewall, that's a more complete firewall than the WF or NAV's
> IWP.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Ok....I'll turn off the IWP & run only the WF, although as I have mentioned before the problem was caused by Zone Alarm Pro.

I have another question:
When I try printing my e-mails from my laptop I receive the following notice:
"A Runtime Error has ocurred. Do you wish to debug?"
Line: 1343
Error: unspecified.
YES or NO

When I press YES, the debugging process initiates, but it takes forever so
I end the process. What's your diagnosis on this?
BTW, I can type the e-mails from my desktop pc without any problems.
Thanks

Malke

Durbanator wrote:

> I have another question:
> When I try printing my e-mails from my laptop I receive the following
> notice: "A Runtime Error has ocurred. Do you wish to debug?"
> Line: 1343
> Error: unspecified.
> YES or NO
>
> When I press YES, the debugging process initiates, but it takes
> forever so I end the process. What's your diagnosis on this?
> BTW, I can type the e-mails from my desktop pc without any problems.
> Thanks

I guess it depends on what email client you're using. If Outlook or
Outlook Express, post your question (include all pertinent details) in
one of the newsgroups for those programs. Here is a list of all the MS
newsgroups and a few for Outlook and OE:

microsoft.public.outlook.general
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress

If you are using a non-MS email program, look for user groups/tech
support on the program's website.

Malke
--

"Malke" wrote:

> Durbanator wrote:
>
> > I have another question:
> > When I try printing my e-mails from my laptop I receive the following
> > notice: "A Runtime Error has ocurred. Do you wish to debug?"
> > Line: 1343
> > Error: unspecified.
> > YES or NO
> >
> > When I press YES, the debugging process initiates, but it takes
> > forever so I end the process. What's your diagnosis on this?
> > BTW, I can type the e-mails from my desktop pc without any problems.
> > Thanks

> I guess it depends on what email client you're using. If Outlook or
> Outlook Express, post your question (include all pertinent details) in
> one of the newsgroups for those programs. Here is a list of all the MS
> newsgroups and a few for Outlook and OE:
>
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.outlook.general
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress
>
> If you are using a non-MS email program, look for user groups/tech
> support on the program's website.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thank you for all your help. I'll try that support site.