Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Trek 5 Special Edition.

Star Trek 5 Special Edition.

ksgemini

"Vincent J. Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:21:42 +0000 (UTC), graham <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:
> >
> > "Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bepu6c$qgl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Star Trek 5, special edition, is finally being released in December 2003
> >> (Region 2).

> > *shudder*
> >
> > Next to Motion Picture, this *has* to be the worst ST flick of all time. How
> > many Golden Raspberries did this win?
> > Surprising the franchise carried on after this.

> You must have missed Star Trek: Nemesis, then, which did kill the
> movie franchise and is even worse than STV. Seriously.
>
> VJM

Seriously Nemesis was one of the best and people not seeing it killed
the franchise not the script...just my opinion as what u wrote is just
yours...maybe some people love ST V ...Who knows...

Chesney Christ

A certain ksgemini, of uk.media.dvd "fame", writes :

>Seriously Nemesis was one of the best and people not seeing it killed
>the franchise not the script...

People would have seen it (like they did the two predecessors) if the
script was good, and maybe also if it had been properly timed.

--

"Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com

Joshua Zyber

"Chesney Christ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vzBFei2WxcE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Seriously Nemesis was one of the best and people not seeing it killed
> >the franchise not the script...

> People would have seen it (like they did the two predecessors) if the
> script was good, and maybe also if it had been properly timed.

The script on Insurrection certainly wasn't good.

Jim Fraas

There should have been a "Q" movie.

--
There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.
"WJM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uBfQa.268$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >
> > No I didn't. The only saving grace Nemesis had over ST5 was it looked
> > better. It was just as crap as the others - more so, because someone

ought
> > to have known better they were dealing with a crap script before they
> > started filming.
> >
> > It was sad to see TNG end on such a pathetic low.

> Agreed.
>
> I own Nemesis, and I think it is better than STV, but it certainly was not
> what I would have liked to see as a finale. I thought the "All Good
> Things..." was a decent finale for the TV series, and it would have been
> nice to have the movie finale be of similar quality.

Karen Chuplis

in article besm2t$ft0$(E-Mail Removed), Joshua Zyber at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 7/13/03 5:22 PM:

> "Chesney Christ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vzBFei2WxcE$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Seriously Nemesis was one of the best and people not seeing it killed
>>> the franchise not the script...

>> People would have seen it (like they did the two predecessors) if the
>> script was good, and maybe also if it had been properly timed.

> The script on Insurrection certainly wasn't good.

What was wrong with it? It was a good "episode" basically. I really don't
see why people look for more than a "double episode" on the movies.

Karen

Bill

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:17:10 +0100, Chesney Christ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A certain ksgemini, of uk.media.dvd "fame", writes :
>
>>Seriously Nemesis was one of the best and people not seeing it killed
>>the franchise not the script...

>People would have seen it (like they did the two predecessors) if the
>script was good, and maybe also if it had been properly timed.

Yes! It's timing was horrible! It came out the weekend right before
the Wednesday that "The Two Towers" was released. The anticipation
of the second installment of "The Lord of the Rings" was enough to
keep me from seeing Nemesis until long after it had began at the
theaters. I even remember thinking at the time, that Nemesis SHOULD
have come out at least a week earlier than it did. I would have seen
it opening weekend then.

- Bill

Arthur Lipscomb

Karen Chuplis wrote:

> in article besm2t$ft0$(E-Mail Removed), Joshua Zyber at
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 7/13/03 5:22 PM:
>
> > "Chesney Christ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:vzBFei2WxcE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> People would have seen it (like they did the two predecessors) if the
> >> script was good, and maybe also if it had been properly timed.

> > The script on Insurrection certainly wasn't good.
> >

> What was wrong with it?

The story and the characters.

It was a good "episode" basically. I really don't
> see why people look for more than a "double episode" on the movies.

For me, it because I'm being asked to pay money to see it.

The Demolition Man

The Highlander (aka Gordon) ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said
the following crap:
> Your demand that I explain why I like it seems to indicate that you
> think I should justify liking it, I didn't ask you to justify your
> closed mind to the movie did I?

I was curious as to why you liked it because I have yet to
outside of you hear of anyone who found anything redeemable
from ST5.

> I simply said that you were proving
> my point, which you were.

Because I thought ST5 sucked.

> Demanding I explain rather than you
> yourself explaining why you dislike it, leaves me wondering whether
> your dislike is based on prejudice (against Shatner or the movie
> itself based on the reactions of other fans) or actual dislike of the
> movie.

Its actual dislike, it has nothing to do with Shatner. I found the plot
incredibly poor, the character continuation especially with Kirk even
worser (he's drinking with the Klingons at the end of ST5 yet is back
to hateing them at the start of ST6), etc etc etc.

The plot is quickly forgettable, and at best is on par with the worse
of TOS episodes as well. While your reasons are very logical, I
find ST5 very illogical and I would rather forget about it then to even
dare wanting to have it sit in my DVD collection much like other films
I would rather not own.

--
The Demolition Man
A reminder to the world....

I agree that in ST5 the characters seemed "out of character." Even worse
though, the story seemed contrived. It didn't *feel* like a Star Trek movie.
I too never found anything to like about this movie.

"The Demolition Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> The Highlander (aka Gordon) ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said
> the following crap:
> > Your demand that I explain why I like it seems to indicate that you
> > think I should justify liking it, I didn't ask you to justify your
> > closed mind to the movie did I?

> I was curious as to why you liked it because I have yet to
> outside of you hear of anyone who found anything redeemable
> from ST5.
>
> > I simply said that you were proving
> > my point, which you were.

> Because I thought ST5 sucked.
>
> > Demanding I explain rather than you
> > yourself explaining why you dislike it, leaves me wondering whether
> > your dislike is based on prejudice (against Shatner or the movie
> > itself based on the reactions of other fans) or actual dislike of the
> > movie.

> Its actual dislike, it has nothing to do with Shatner. I found the plot
> incredibly poor, the character continuation especially with Kirk even
> worser (he's drinking with the Klingons at the end of ST5 yet is back
> to hateing them at the start of ST6), etc etc etc.
>
> The plot is quickly forgettable, and at best is on par with the worse
> of TOS episodes as well. While your reasons are very logical, I
> find ST5 very illogical and I would rather forget about it then to even
> dare wanting to have it sit in my DVD collection much like other films
> I would rather not own.
>
> --
> The Demolition Man
> A reminder to the world....
> "Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
> allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
> components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
> -Bill Schwenke

Funny how you can love a character so much (Captain Kirk) but not the actor
(Shatner).

news:veoQa.6560$(E-Mail Removed)...