Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Looney Tunes Mess

Re: Looney Tunes Mess

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 12 Jul 2003 19:10:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (PNeski) wrote:

>This set will be fine,But its hardly part of a complete plan,In fact the
>selection of the cartoons is pretty lame,Its almost like they don't know
>they own the pre 1946 stuff,Sure theres one or two thrown in,But
>wheres Clampet and Averys best stuff,The extras look great,and
>I am sure the cartoons will have great prints,
>I wouldn't even bother with this thing if it wasn't for the extras and
>those few good ones they gave us,
>Peter

Yah, hopefully they're getting the mass-market stuff out first, to
whet our interest, then comes the good stuff.

. Steve .

Gieber Goldfarb

(E-Mail Removed) (PNeski) wrote:

> >This set will be fine,But its hardly part of a complete plan,In fact the
> >selection of the cartoons is pretty lame,Its almost like they don't know
> >they own the pre 1946 stuff,

Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:

- The list we've got so far is unbalanced in favor of post-1950
cartoons in part because those are the cartoons for which music-only
tracks are available. (It says in the notes for one of the Carl
Stalling CDs that it's for cartoons after 1950 or so that the music
tracks are in the best shape.)

- There's a Bob Clampett featurette on one of the discs, so it seems
more than likely that we'll get more Clampett cartoons on the set than
the list would indicate so far (all the other featurettes are related
somewhat to the content of the set)

- Earlier cartoons require more restoration work because they were in
terrible shape for so long. Look at the comparison between the TV
print and the DVD print of "Baseball Bugs" (which isn't even all that
early, 1946). Also they need to work on restoring titles for "Blue
Ribbon" cartoons. (Example: "The Foghorn Leghorn," a 1948 cartoon
that's usually seen in a "Blue Ribbon" version, will be on the DVD
with its full original titles: "The Foghorn Leghorn, Starring HENERY
HAWK"). We'll probably see more earlier cartoons as the restoration
work goes on.

- The set is only supposed to be "wave one," so the point is not to
select the 56 desert-island cartoons and never release any other
cartoons, but to pick a good cross-section of cartoons with the
favorite characters. This in itself creates a slight bias toward
post-1946 cartoons because many popular characters made their debuts
after the war (the Tweety/Sylvester pairing, Foghorn Leghorn, Road
Runner, etc). Some of the most famous cartoons are being saved for
future sets (i.e. most of the "musical" cartoons).

- You'll notice that the cartoons named so far include almost no
cartoons made after 1955 (when the studio's animation budgets were
slashed and the quality started to decline, leading to the generally
desultory '60s cartoons). So it's not like they're just selecting
stuff from the "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" catalog (one thing about
the cartoons shown on Saturday Morning is that they were heavily
biased toward post-1955 cartoons, because these were the most
formulaic and chase-heavy, and thus the most obviously appealing to
children). The 1946-1953 era is still part of the studio's prime,
unless you're of the opinion that the prime years ended the day
Clampett left (some are, I'm not).

- "High Diving Hare." Man, I love that cartoon. (Not really relevant,
just had to throw that in.)

Sorry for the length, but I think it's unfair to talk as though the
people who put this set together have just thrown stuff together
without knowing what the good cartoons are or whatever. Particularly
since we don't yet know all the titles.

PNeski

Subject: Re: Looney Tunes Mess
From: (E-Mail Removed) (Gieber Goldfarb)
Date: 7/13/03 1:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:
>>>I though Thats what we got

- The list we've got so far is unbalanced in favor of post-1950
cartoons in part because those are the cartoons for which music-only
tracks are available. (It says in the notes for one of the Carl
Stalling CDs that it's for cartoons after 1950 or so that the music
tracks are in the best shape.)
So thats the reason,I don't think so
- There's a Bob Clampett featurette on one of the discs, so it seems
more than likely that we'll get more Clampett cartoons on the set than
the list would indicate so far (all the other featurettes are related
somewhat to the content of the set)
well lets hope

- Earlier cartoons require more restoration work because they were in
terrible shape for so long. Look at the comparison between the TV
print and the DVD print of "Baseball Bugs" (which isn't even all that
early, 1946).
>>While this true,some of the three color cartoon prints on the

columbia house tapes are so fine I bet they look as good.

Also they need to work on restoring titles for "Blue
Ribbon" cartoons. (Example: "The Foghorn Leghorn," a 1948 cartoon
that's usually seen in a "Blue Ribbon" version, will be on the DVD
with its full original titles: "The Foghorn Leghorn, Starring HENERY
HAWK"). We'll probably see more earlier cartoons as the restoration
work goes on.

>>>They have had years .....

- The set is only supposed to be "wave one," so the point is not to
select the 56 desert-island cartoons and never release any other
cartoons,
I heard this,There is hope
but to pick a good cross-section of cartoons with the
favorite characters. This in itself creates a slight bias toward
post-1946 cartoons because many popular characters made their debuts
after the war (the Tweety/Sylvester pairing, Foghorn Leghorn, Road
Runner, etc). Some of the most famous cartoons are being saved for
future sets (i.e. most of the "musical" cartoons).

>>>Sorry those aren't even close to the best Porkyand Bugs cartoons

This is just a bunch of random titles that they restored

- You'll notice that the cartoons named so far include almost no
cartoons made after 1955
who knows maybe the next set will make us buy those

(when the studio's animation budgets were
slashed and the quality started to decline, leading to the generally
desultory '60s cartoons). So it's not like they're just selecting
stuff from the "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" catalog (one thing about
the cartoons shown on Saturday Morning is that they were heavily
biased toward post-1955 cartoons, because these were the most
formulaic and chase-heavy, and thus the most obviously appealing to
children). The 1946-1953 era is still part of the studio's prime,
unless you're of the opinion that the prime years ended the day
Clampett left (some are, I'm not).

>> You give them more credit then they deserve

- "High Diving Hare." Man, I love that cartoon. (Not really relevant,
just had to throw that in.)

Sorry for the length, but I think it's unfair to talk as though the
people who put this set together have just thrown stuff together
without knowing what the good cartoons are or whatever. Particularly
since we don't yet know all the titles.

,sure it will be great to get a new Baseball bugs,but I really
couln't care less about most of these,Wheres the good stuff
You could make a dvd of the Columbia house Clampett tape
and you would have a better collection.

The budget cuts really started after the war .
Peter

Gieber Goldfarb

(E-Mail Removed) (PNeski) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Subject: Re: Looney Tunes Mess
> From: (E-Mail Removed) (Gieber Goldfarb)

> Okay, first, shouldn't we be waiting for the actual complete list of
> cartoons before making complaints? Next, a few points:

No. The list names only the cartoons for which we have commentaries
and/or music-only tracks. There are about 25 titles that haven't been
announced yet.

> ,sure it will be great to get a new Baseball bugs,but I really
> couln't care less about most of these,Wheres the good stuff
> You could make a dvd of the Columbia house Clampett tape
> and you would have a better collection.

The core of your complaint appears to be that you like only the
Clampett/Avery era. I grudgingly respect that, but I would think that
a DVD set would be aimed at those of us who like a broader range of
the studio's output. (I agree that there should be a balance of pre-
and post-war stuff, but we don't yet know what those other 25 cartoons
will be, so who knows...) I would say that a lot of the post-Clampett
cartoons are as good as the best of Clampett (I'll be heretical and
say that I think some of the early McKimsons are as good as anything
else), so I find it bizarre to talk as though [fill in name of popular
1947-1953 cartoon] is some kind of second-class citizen in the
studio's history... it's just a type of snobbery, I think (reverse
snobbery, maybe)

> The budget cuts really started after the war .

Technically the budget cuts started earlier than that