Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > My Neighbor Totoro

My Neighbor Totoro

Ped Xing

Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region 1?
(Proper meaning widescreen).

And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

Thanks!

Grand Inquisitor

Ped Xing wrote:
> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region 1?
> (Proper meaning widescreen).
>
> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??
>
> Thanks!

Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights to
Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them. I
couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at rec.arts.anime.misc

--
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork

Grand Inquisitor

Jay G

"Ped Xing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region 1?
> (Proper meaning widescreen).

No, proper means widescreen *and* original Japanese audio
with subs.

From the best site on the Studio Ghibli films:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/totoro/faq.html#dub

"Disney has acquired the global distribution rights
for Ghibli movies, including Totoro, but Fox's rights
don't expire until 2004."

So, sometime after Fox's rights expire, Disney will
probably release a 2-disc special edition in the US.

> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/new...53569517,68232,

-Jay

Derek Janssen

Grand Inquisitor wrote:

> Ped Xing wrote:
>
>> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region
>> 1? (Proper meaning widescreen).
>>
>> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

> Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights to
> Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them. I
> couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at rec.arts.anime.misc

Okay, latest update--
They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.

Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)

Grand Inquisitor

Derek Janssen wrote:
> Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>
>> Ped Xing wrote:
>>
>>> Is "My Neighbor Totoro" ever going to get a proper release in region
>>> 1? (Proper meaning widescreen).
>>>
>>> And while I'm at it, where's Nausicaa??

>> Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights
>> to Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them.
>> I couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at
>> rec.arts.anime.misc

> Okay, latest update--
> They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
> he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.
>
> Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically acclaimed
ones first.

--

Grand Inquisitor wrote:

>> Okay, latest update--
>> They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
>> he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.

> Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
> was in the works.

So far, that's all the hard facts anybody knows, except that Susan Egan
(Lin, "Spirited") is already cast as Gina.

No mention of schedules, but the fact that *an* R2 dub is set to hit UK
in the fall is....an encouraging sign for spring.

> Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
> of Nausicaa?

Because it was already FINISHED.
So was "Castle in the Sky", as it might not have escaped your notice.

Derek Janssen (I *like* the ones that're actually finished, don't you?)
(E-Mail Removed)

Ratmaster2000

"Grand Inquisitor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SROPa.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Derek Janssen wrote:
> > Because it was already FINISHED.
> > So was "Castle in the Sky", as it might not have escaped your notice.
> >
> > Derek Janssen (I *like* the ones that're actually finished, don't you?)
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >

> Aren't they all finished? Or do you mean the dub? And still, why do a
> dub for Kiki before Nausicaa? Or did Disney not do the Kiki dub? Were
> the dubs for Kiki and Laputa done before Disney got the Ghibli deal?

Hmm I havent seen either one (well, seen parts of Nausicaa), but arent
Nausicaa and Atlantis similar in story? I seem to remember having that
arguement (well others arguing about it) when Atlantis first came out.Now
Porco Rosso, I may actually have to get that film, I liked that story. Hell
just crank em out subbed, most of my collection is that way (or pure
Japanese imports).

> --
> "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
> --Zork
>
> Grand Inquisitor
> http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

BC

In article <yNMPa.9837$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Derek Janssen wrote:
>> Grand Inquisitor wrote:

>>> Read Disney has the rights to Nausicaa, and they will get the rights
>>> to Totoro in two years time when Fox's's's's rights run out on them.
>>> I couldn't get any more than that from the nice folks at
>>> rec.arts.anime.misc

>> Okay, latest update--
>> They're second and third in line (order TBA) on John Lasseter's desk;
>> he's too busy with "Porco Rosso" at the moment.
>>
>> Derek Janssen (nice folk from RAAM who already knows this by heart)
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know it
>was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch, instead
>of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically acclaimed
>ones first.

More kiddy appeal maybe. Get the kids and the parents interested first,
giving them a taste of things to come before releasing the good stuff...
maybe.

<=[BC]=>

Florian Spisla

Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> Well that's good to know. I'd heard of Porco Rosso but didn't know

it
> was in the works. Why'd they release Kiki in the initial bunch,
> instead of Nausicaa? You'd think they'd go for the most critically
> acclaimed ones first.

I think the reason is, because Ghibli hasn't released Nausicaš in Japan
yet. They will release Nausicaš sometime later this year...
(www.nausicaa.net)...

Brockhurst Pertwee

Well, Mr. GI, some of us think Kiki is a better film than Nausicaa. I
like them all, and have seen them all (have you?) and I think Kiki's is
one of the greats - a wonderful, warm and wise film for people of all
ages. And I'm not sure what you mean by "critically acclaimed" - Kiki's
has received plenty of acclaim critically, whereas Nuasicaa has only
received acclaim in Japan and from anime fans. I say all this with the
following caveat, of course - Japanese ONLY. People who have only
watched Kiki in English have no idea what the film is or should be.