Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Punch Drunk Love

Re: Punch Drunk Love

Arkon24fps

TonyAtRest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

total
> material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
>
> Tony
>

> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
>
> Buzzcocks, 1976

I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
Anderson, is it any good? Really?

Steve Hanson

Arkon24fps wrote in
<YOgOa.72359$(E-Mail Removed) ogers.com>:

>TonyAtRest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

>total
>> material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
>>
>> Buzzcocks, 1976

>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
>Anderson, is it any good? Really?

If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

John Harkness

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:00:56 GMT, "Arkon24fps" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>TonyAtRest <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

>total
>> material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
>>
>> Buzzcocks, 1976

>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
>Anderson, is it any good? Really?

Yes really.

It got Anderson Best Director prize at Cannes and from the Toronto
Film Critics Association, for one thing.

And it actually creates a context where an Adam Sandler performance
makes sense in human terms.

John Harkness

Sydney Assbasket

>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
>Anderson, is it any good? Really?

PDL is a good film. Just don't have any preconceived notions and you might
enjoy it.

As for the extras, a friend of mine bought the DVD and I saw the extras, and
they're not particularly interesting, though the Mattress Men commercial is
pretty funny.

Remove "moc" to reply.

Codswallop

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:54:25 GMT, Steve Hanson wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by
>>P.T. Anderson, is it any good? Really?
>>

> If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

I don't think many of Sandler's die-hard fans would like this film.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

Ollie T

"If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass"

Actually, I think the opposite is true. If you do not like Sandler, this is
the movie you should watch to see him pull off a different act. If you like
Sandler as a slap-stick, rough, comedian, then you might be dissapointed in
him. Either way, I thought this was a really good and entertaining film.
It is definately worth watching.

news:YOgOa.72359$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...

Codswallop wrote in <Xns93B25F084D87Acodswallopcom@139.132.1.4>:

>On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:54:25 GMT, Steve Hanson wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>
>>>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by
>>>P.T. Anderson, is it any good? Really?
>>>

>> If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

>I don't think many of Sandler's die-hard fans would like this film.

I'm a die-hard Sandler fan, I loved it. He's the focus of the story
and his personality dominates most of the scenes. What's not to like?

Steve Hanson

Ollie T wrote in <LeuOa.47556$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>"If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass"
>
>Actually, I think the opposite is true.

Most of the people saying this appear not to be Sandler fans. So what
would they know? Let's hear from Sandler fans who hated this flick.
Otherwise I think I made a good call.

Steve Hanson

Mark B. wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Just the opposite. I don't particularly care for most of his movies, but
>this was different than anything he's done before and I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I've never seen anything like Sandler as a put-upon schlup with
anger issues. Totally new, PTA exploring pristine wilderness, etc.
etc. etc. Get real. The only thing new on display was that it was
less slapstick than some of his other movies. If you liked PDL and
don't like anything else he's done, you've probably just got a large
stick wedged up your ass and can't bear to laugh at slapstick unless
it is toned down 1000%.

Love love love imuaplease@gmail.com C++ 0 06-03-2009 02:53 AM
Drunk tilted Room pcbutts1 Computer Support 0 02-21-2007 12:51 AM
Drunk ˝Ks Computer Support 6 01-23-2004 09:02 PM
dublin wide & panoramic digital images on dead drunk dublin andrew lovatt Digital Photography 0 11-28-2003 01:50 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE, A FILM TRILOGY BY INGMAR BERGMAN: CRITERION COLLECTION, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 10-27-2003 10:04 AM

Advertisments