Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > INDY News

INDY News

TSKO

.........a snippit taken from Digitalbits.com.....

Also we've got another Indy tidbit for you. Word is, Spielberg is making
one single change to the original Raiders of the Lost Ark (whoops... maybe
that should be two, since they've also changed the name to Indiana Jones
and the Raiders of the Lost Ark). And if this is true, the change could
easily fall into the "digital cleaning and re-mastering" category. Remember
that shot where Indy falls into the snake pit, and you briefly see
reflections on the glass that's protecting Harrison Ford's face from the
snakes? Well... our sources are telling us those reflections are being
digitally removed from the shot so you can't see the glass. While there
will no doubt be purists who get tweaked by this, we think most people will
appreciate the fixed effect.

Anyway, remember that this is tentative information, so digest accordingly.

Codswallop

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:31:03 GMT, Patrick McCart wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>> > No, it's not a big thing that Spielberg is fixing/changing, it's
>> > just the point of doing it. It's not necessary. Leave your work
>> > of art, bumps and warts, alone.

>> Does this mean "Director's Cuts" shouldn't be released? Cases such
>> as this don't particularly bother me; as long as the story elements
>> are untouched I don't really care (i.e. guns -> walkie talkies
>> changes the story, even if slightly. Greedo shooting first changes a
>> whole heap. Fixing a technical error changes nothing unless you're
>> fanatical about errors in films).
>>

> This mistake likely wasn't visible in theaters due to the nature of
> film. A lot of stuff invisible in film prints suddenly stick out on
> video.
>
> When North By Northwest was being digitally cleaned for video, cables
> holding up an airplane were suddenly seen. In a film print produced in
> 1959, these cables would be hidden. So, do you keep the cables in or
> not? Well, if it's not supposed to be there, take it out.
>
>The stuff with BTTF is different. That shot has only a split-second of
>time, so you really wouldn't notice them anyways.

I agree -- if it wasn't supposed to be there, either because they missed
it or they didn't have the technology to remove it, then there's no
problem with removing it.

I liked the idea of Lucas including the "Jabba" scene in ANH as it was
meant to be in the original (it's in the novel IIRC) but I don't think
it was done too well. The "Greedo" scene, on the other hand was always
meant to have Han shoot first (at least to my fading memory) so is a bad
inclusion.

--
- Cods

(un ROT-13 to e-mail)

TSKO

I have no prob with Steve fixing the "glass" scene......very minor in my
opinion.....and heck, I am just happy to be owning the movies here in a few
months....

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:31:03 GMT, "Patrick McCart" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Codswallop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:Xns93B15A1C7B05Dcodswallopcom@139.132.1.4. ..
> >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:34:41 GMT, Michael Black wrote in

alt.video.dvd:

from

are

just

> >> Does this mean "Director's Cuts" shouldn't be released? Cases such as
> >> this don't particularly bother me; as long as the story elements are
> >> untouched I don't really care (i.e. guns -> walkie talkies changes the
> >> story, even if slightly. Greedo shooting first changes a whole heap.
> >> Fixing a technical error changes nothing unless you're fanatical about
> >> errors in films).
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Cods
> >>
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >> (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

> <Correcting top posting>
>
> >This mistake likely wasn't visible in theaters due to the nature of

film. A
> >lot of stuff invisible in film prints suddenly stick out on video.
> >
> >When North By Northwest was being digitally cleaned for video, cables
> >holding up an airplane were suddenly seen. In a film print produced in

1959,
> >these cables would be hidden. So, do you keep the cables in or not?

Well, if
> >it's not supposed to be there, take it out.
> >
> >The stuff with BTTF is different. That shot has only a split-second of

time,
> >so you really wouldn't notice them anyways.
> >

> There is probably some truth to what you're saying about film. In
> Return of the Jedi, on VHS, you can see blue, square, "patches" around
> the Emperor's eyes, where they colored them yellow. I never noticed
> this artifact in the theater. Frankly, with George Lucas's propensity
> for changing his films, it wouldn't bother me a bit if he would fix
> that flaw before releasing the originals on DVD.
>
> - Bill

Bill

wrote:

>"Codswallop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Xns93B15A1C7B05Dcodswallopcom@139.132.1.4. ..

>> > No, it's not a big thing that Spielberg is fixing/changing, it's just
>> > the point of doing it. It's not necessary. Leave your work of art,
>> > bumps and warts, alone.

>> Does this mean "Director's Cuts" shouldn't be released? Cases such as
>> this don't particularly bother me; as long as the story elements are
>> untouched I don't really care (i.e. guns -> walkie talkies changes the
>> story, even if slightly. Greedo shooting first changes a whole heap.
>> Fixing a technical error changes nothing unless you're fanatical about
>> errors in films).
>>
>> --
>> - Cods
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

<Correcting top posting>

>This mistake likely wasn't visible in theaters due to the nature of film. A
>lot of stuff invisible in film prints suddenly stick out on video.
>
>When North By Northwest was being digitally cleaned for video, cables
>holding up an airplane were suddenly seen. In a film print produced in 1959,
>these cables would be hidden. So, do you keep the cables in or not? Well, if
>it's not supposed to be there, take it out.
>
>The stuff with BTTF is different. That shot has only a split-second of time,
>so you really wouldn't notice them anyways.

There is probably some truth to what you're saying about film. In
Return of the Jedi, on VHS, you can see blue, square, "patches" around
the Emperor's eyes, where they colored them yellow. I never noticed
this artifact in the theater. Frankly, with George Lucas's propensity
for changing his films, it wouldn't bother me a bit if he would fix
that flaw before releasing the originals on DVD.

- Bill

Peter

Harrison Ford seems to have trouble with these protective glass things.
In Return of the Jedi, as he runs out of the bunker towards the end of
the movie yelling "Go Go" you see a reflection of him running the
opposite direction. It's from the same sort of glass protecting him from
the coming pyrotechniques.

--
At the source of every error which is blamed on the
computer you will find at least two human errors,