Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > fullscreen/widescreen

fullscreen/widescreen

Tom

Hi
I'm thinking of buying the indiana jones trilogy dvds. Should I go for
widescreen or fullscreen?
Thanks for any advice
Tom

--
Remove NOSPAM and replace NO@SPAM by @ in email address to reply

Jim Fraas

WIDESCREEN!

--
There's only one hope left for the Star Trek movie franchise.
It is a letter located between P and R in the alphabet.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I'm thinking of buying the indiana jones trilogy dvds. Should I go for
> widescreen or fullscreen?
> Thanks for any advice
> Tom
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM and replace NO@SPAM by @ in email address to reply

Dick Sidbury

Tom wrote:
> Hi
> I'm thinking of buying the indiana jones trilogy dvds. Should I go for
> widescreen or fullscreen?
> Thanks for any advice
> Tom

buy what you like. When I buy them they will be WS but you know what
you prefer better than we do.

dick

Maverick

Widescreen. Trust me, you want to get the whole picture, especially when
you're watching a film like "Raiders Of The Lost Ark".

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tom) wrote:

>Hi
>I'm thinking of buying the indiana jones trilogy
> dvds. Should I go for widescreen or fullscreen?
>Thanks for any advice
>Tom

Ransack The Elder

Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.

Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I'm thinking of buying the indiana jones trilogy dvds. Should I go for
> widescreen or fullscreen?
> Thanks for any advice
> Tom
>
> --
> Remove NOSPAM and replace NO@SPAM by @ in email address to reply

Dan P.

"Ransack The Elder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zv4Oa.85602$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net...
> Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.
>
> Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

That's not necessarily true you know. They could present the movie with the
full frame and you would actually see more of the movie. But yes, using
other techniques like Pan & Scan, you would lose alot of the picture.

It would be more accurate to say:

Widescreen if you want to see the movie exactly as it was seen in the
theaters and exactly how the director intended it to be seen.
Fullscreen if you want to miss portions of the picture and/or add on
portions of the pictures which were never intended to be seen.

By the way, if you want to see a good demonstration of Pan & Scan and
techniques like this which fill a screen, check out the extra features on
the Die Hard special edition DVD. They break down a scene showing it in
widescreen and then showing the different techniques of filling the screen
with the picture. I think it's very effective in persuading people not to
buy "fullscreen" DVDs.

Dan

Douglas Bailey

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Ransack The Elder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.
> > Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

> That's not necessarily true you know. They could present the movie with
> the full frame and you would actually see more of the movie.

Actually, they couldn't. All three of the _Indiana Jones_ films were
shot in anamorphic Panavision, meaning that the 2.40:1 image *is* the
full negative: there isn't any additional image above or below the
theatrical framing.

On an anamorphic widescreen film, there are no mattes to open: pan-and-
scan is the *only* way to fill a 4:3 TV screen with the image.

> But yes, using other techniques like Pan & Scan, you would lose alot of
> the picture.

See <http://www.widescreen.org/examples/last_crusade/index.shtml> for
some examples.

HTH,

doug

--

---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

Matt Fuerst

Not to defend the fan of widescreen, but I think a man as smart as you knew
that he was likely talking "in general", and specifically about movies
filmed in the Academy Ratio of 1.33:1.

Now you were correct in pointing out that the Indy series isn't one of those
examples.. but let's just inform everyone of the potential options out
there.

Matt, who was pleasantly surprised by The Ring presentation in Full Frame
when I was jonsing for my fix and couldn't find the Widescreen anywhere
www.jackasscritics.com

"Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > "Ransack The Elder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.
> > > Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

> > That's not necessarily true you know. They could present the movie with
> > the full frame and you would actually see more of the movie.

> Actually, they couldn't. All three of the _Indiana Jones_ films were
> shot in anamorphic Panavision, meaning that the 2.40:1 image *is* the
> full negative: there isn't any additional image above or below the
> theatrical framing.
>
> On an anamorphic widescreen film, there are no mattes to open: pan-and-
> scan is the *only* way to fill a 4:3 TV screen with the image.
>

> > But yes, using other techniques like Pan & Scan, you would lose alot of
> > the picture.

> See <http://www.widescreen.org/examples/last_crusade/index.shtml> for
> some examples.
>
> HTH,
>
> doug
>
> --
>
> ---------------Douglas Bailey ((E-Mail Removed))---------------
> I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
> --Eno

John Moore

"Dan P." wrote:

> "Ransack The Elder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zv4Oa.85602$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net...
> > Widescreen if you want to see the whole movie.
> >
> > Fullscreen if you want to miss most of the picture.

> That's not necessarily true you know. They could present the movie with the
> full frame and you would actually see more of the movie. But yes, using
> other techniques like Pan & Scan, you would lose alot of the picture.

You don't know what you're talking about if you're referring to RAIDERS.

John

Mark Spatny

Tom,(E-Mail Removed) says...

In the case of the Indy movies, you will be missing aprox. 40% of the
picture if you go for the full screen version. Also, in a few years when
you buy and new TV and it is widescreen, you'll be really ****ed that
you have black or grey bars on the sides of the picture. The combination
of seeing less of the movie, and still having bars on screen, makes the
fullscreen version a total waste in the long run.