Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Q-The Winged Serpent (1982)

Q-The Winged Serpent (1982)

Scot Gardner

_Q-The Winged Serpent_ (1982) is scheduled for re-release on 8-26-2003.
However, the latest Home Theater Info DVD list shows the exact same
specifications as the current Anchor Bay version, except that the price
of the new Blue Underground version is $10 less. I just sent the
following e-mail to Blue Underground:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=540591&tab=5

I currently have the Anchor Bay version of this title, however, I would
gladly purchase it again if your version is either:

1. Fullscreen. (I would rather have this version because the current
non-anamorphic widescreen Anchor Bay version is matted, needlessly
cutting off the tops of skyscrapers.)

or

2. Anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9 TVs) widescreen.

Please tell me what screen format you are using.

Thank you.

The Chrysler Building is featured as the focal point of one of the most
bizarre movies ever made: _Q: The Winged Serpent_(1982). The plot is
preposterous, the dialog is ridiculous and the acting is awful. Without
a doubt, _Q_has what it takes to make it a very entertaining cult
classic. Michael Moriarty gives an over the top performance that borders
on the absurd. Is he really crazy or is he just acting? It's impossible
to tell.

Anyway, a giant, egg-laying, flying lizard-like creature named
Quetzalcoatl, has made its nest in the spire at the top of the Chrysler
Building, directly under the needle. This dragon-like Aztec god has been
summoned to modern day Manhattan by a series of gory human sacrifice
rituals. Well, so much for the plot.

On the other hand, _Q_has some of the best aerial coverage of NYC ever
put on film. The views are spectacular. The camera flies along with the
monster as it soars between the skyscrapers. All of NYC's buildings
(including the World Trade Center towers), bridges and landmarks -- in
both day and night scenes -- are shown. In the final sequence, a swat
team takes over Q's nest in the spire and the beast is killed in a
dramatic shootout as it tries to enter the building. During this
marvelous, circling, aerial sequence, all facets of the Chrysler
Building are depicted. Every gargoyle is given a close up shot. In an
earlier scene, Michael Moriarty is seen entering the Chrysler Building
through what appears to be the 42nd Street side. He opens the heavy
chrome and glass doors, walks though the gorgeous, marble-clad lobby and
enters an elevator whose doors and interior are covered in sumptuous,
art deco wood paneling. The 1922 discovery of King Tutankhamen's tomb
definitely had an influence on NYC architecture during the 20's and
30's.

In the end, the monster is killed. But in a glorious finale to the
movie, a sweeping aerial shot reveals that Q managed to lay an egg in
the attic of the Dakota -- or some building that looks like the Dakota.
In the last scene, the egg cracks open, revealing that another monster
has been hatched. The Dakota has already had to endure Rosemary's baby
and Yoko Ono. Now, it might have to endure a giant, winged serpent.

_Q: The Winged Serpent_is available on DVD from two different
manufacturers. I highly recommend this movie.

Michael Moriarty .... Jimmy Quinn
Candy Clark .... Joan
David Carradine .... Detective Shepard
Richard Roundtree .... Sergeant Powell

http://stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/q.html

Scot Gardner

"Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:17DMa.10462$(E-Mail Removed)...

<<Hi Scot, I just received an update from the studio reps over at Blue Underground. While the original specs where rather lack luster, typical of many initial announcements, the revised specifications are EX/ES audio, anamorphic 1.85:1 video and a commentary track by Larry Cohen. Blue is releasing a lot of remastered versions of Cohen's flicks. I should have a copy sometime next week and will be able to tell more about the release. This information was associated with UPC 827058101899 set for release on August 26th. Its constant revisions in specs that make for a busy time with the database and why I try to post updates several times daily. The updated information should be in the database with this afternoon's upload. I hope this helps.>>

Yes, this is a big help since my question was answered. Your DVD database is an outstanding resource.

Those who haven't seen _Q-The Winged Serpent_ don't know what they're missing. Bad movies don't get much better than this. An anamorphic 1.85:1 video and a commentary track by Larry Cohen will make the new "Q" the best bad movie of all time.

Here's all I got from Blue Underground:

"This is an automatic reply message. Due to the high volume of incoming mails, we might not be able to respond immediately to your request. However, your interest in our company and products is greatly appreciated. Any request or questions will be taken into consideration by our staff members. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Best Regards,

Blue Underground
Guilty pleasures for adventurous movie fans

Dr. Speedbyrd:>

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:20:18 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>chrome and glass doors, walks though the gorgeous, marble-clad lobby and
>enters an elevator whose doors and interior are covered in sumptuous,
>art deco wood paneling. The 1922 discovery of King Tutankhamen's tomb
>definitely had an influence on NYC architecture during the 20's and
>30's.
>
>In the end, the monster is killed. But in a glorious finale to the
>movie, a sweeping aerial shot reveals that Q managed to lay an egg in
>the attic of the Dakota -- or some building that looks like the Dakota.
>In the last scene, the egg cracks open, revealing that another monster
>has been hatched. The Dakota has already had to endure Rosemary's baby
>and Yoko Ono. Now, it might have to endure a giant, winged serpent.
>
>_Q: The Winged Serpent_is available on DVD from two different
>manufacturers. I highly recommend this movie.

I saw this film on cable, quite by accident in it's early release years and always thought it
one of the most entertaining "B" movies ever. When it became available on DVD, I was right
there to snatch it up. It's quite the little treasure.

Scot Gardner

"Dr. Speedbyrd:>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<<I saw this film on cable, quite by accident in it's early release
years and always thought it one of the most entertaining "B" movies
ever. When it became available on DVD, I was right there to snatch it
up. It's quite the little treasure.>>

I'm not particularly thrilled to have to buy the movie again. But with
the new anamorphic 1.85:1 video and a commentary track by Larry Cohen,
the $15 will be well spent.