Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Gangs of New York

Gangs of New York

Pat

Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The critics were mixed. Some
hated it and Ebert and Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal friends hated it because they
felt it showed the ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it was is
no excuse they say for showing it. I think they would like to paint a happy
face on our history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In fact, that is
what the movie is about! How good a job Scorses has done is your judgement
call. Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

Gerry

> Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

I'm wondering, who are these people?

Arkon24fps

Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FtrMa.32285$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The critics were mixed.

Some
> hated it and Ebert and Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
> Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal friends hated it because

they
> felt it showed the ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it was

is
> no excuse they say for showing it. I think they would like to paint a

happy
> face on our history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In fact, that is
> what the movie is about! How good a job Scorses has done is your judgement
> call. Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

A very good, but not great film. I found I didn't care about the love story
BS between Cameron and Leo. Otherwise this is a beautifully set, shot,
edited-Thelma, and acted film. DD Lewis who "supposedly" went into self
imposed retirement before this film was cast, absolutely had to work with
Marty to he did the flick. DD has made more bad film choices than any other
great actor I can remember. The Crucible? What the f&ck was that but a bunch
of over dressed woman with the same sour puss on their faces throughout the
movie. According to this movie, they killed witches cause they were
boring.... Anyway, back to Marty. I think Leo is consistantly proving to be
a talent. I find love stories in films like this just get in the way. Imply
there is a love triangle but that's it.

Scot Gardner

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FtrMa.32285$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The critics were mixed.
> Some hated it and Ebert and Roeper thought it was outstanding.

Excellent advice. Buy this one unseen at your own risk. This flick
definitely will not appeal to everyone.

I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
up being out only $3.

I totally agree with these reviews:

"If Scorcese hadn't directed it, no one would even pretend to like it."
-- Karina Montgomery, CINERINA

"The movie is so over the top and silly, that you'll find yourself
thinking of the sets as a prototype for a new Gangland area of
Disneyland."
-- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS

"A film that suffers because of its many excesses."
-- Jeff Vice, DESERET NEWS, SALT LAKE CITY

"... a big, baggy, sprawling carnival of a movie, stretching out before
us with little rhyme or reason."
-- Rob Vaux, FLIPSIDE MOVIE EMPORIUM

"Gangs of New York is an unapologetic mess, whose only saving grace is
that it ends by blowing just about everything up."
-- Joshua Tyler, FILM HOBBIT

"Scorsese doesn't give us a character worth giving a damn about."
-- Christopher Smith, BANGOR DAILY NEWS (MAINE)

"The world needs more filmmakers with passionate enthusiasms like Martin
Scorsese. But it doesn't need Gangs of New York."
-- Stephanie Zacharek, SALON.COM

"...bludgeoned by rough cuts and insipid voice-overs that reveal
[Scorsese's] desperation and/or frustration resulting from nearly two
years of post-production."
-- Shaun Sages, MOVIE NAVIGATOR

"A misfire of monstrous proportions, the worst large-scale epic since
Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate."
-- Glenn Lovell, SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

"The movie's an epic, but that's just a nice way of saying it's boring
and lasts forever."
-- Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, THEMOVIECHICKS.COM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Gang...1110067/?rtp=1

Scot Gardner

"Erik Harris" <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:47:19 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:47:19 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
>buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
>scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
>special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
>up being out only $3.

<<On the other hand, suckers on eBay are gladly paying $12.50-19.50 for this DVD, and it's selling for $15 at BestBuy. Aside from the risk of having your auction go for less than the typical eBay sale price, buying it and re-selling it could prove cheaper than renting it. >>

<<I find the same to be true of many new releases. I looked on eBay for the Mr. Bean box set, and I could not find anyone selling it for less than what I ended out paying a store for a known-new copy (too many eBay auctions sell "sealed" DVDs that are RE-sealed, and don't contain all of the materials that came with the disc/discs). -- Erik Harris>>

The Best Buy $14.99 price sounds like the lowest, unless Wal-Mart does the $14.88 thing. After accumulating about 50 once-watched DVDs, I am renting more and buying less. Particularly since joining Netflix.

Bob Bohling

news:20030703014309.774$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

>I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
>buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
>scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
>special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
>up being out only $3.

<<On the other hand, suckers on eBay are gladly paying $12.50-19.50 for this
DVD, and it's selling for $15 at BestBuy. Aside from the risk of having
your auction go for less than the typical eBay sale price, buying it and
re-selling it could prove cheaper than renting it. >>

<<I find the same to be true of many new releases. I looked on eBay for the
Mr. Bean box set, and I could not find anyone selling it for less than what
I ended out paying a store for a known-new copy (too many eBay auctions sell
"sealed" DVDs that are RE-sealed, and don't contain all of the materials
that came with the disc/discs). -- Erik Harris>>

The Best Buy $14.99 price sounds like the lowest, unless Wal-Mart does the
$14.88 thing. After accumulating about 50 once-watched DVDs, I am renting
more and buying less. Particularly since joining Netflix.

Yep, bought it at Wally World for $14.85

Maverick

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Pat) wrote:

>Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
> critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
> Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
> Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
> friends hated it because they felt it showed the
> ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
> was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
> they would like to paint a happy face on our
> history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
> fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
> job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
> Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
> up.

I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

Jay Stewart

"Maverick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Pat) wrote:
>
> >Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
> > critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
> > Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
> > Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
> > friends hated it because they felt it showed the
> > ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
> > was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
> > they would like to paint a happy face on our
> > history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
> > fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
> > job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
> > Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
> > up.

> I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
> this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
> the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
> flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
> their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
> good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
> outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

Well, though I agree with the gist of your post, I have to say that Daniel
Day Lewis was well deserving of his nomination and the art direction and
production design were superb.

There were moments in the film, however, that I thought were nothing short
of embarrassing - a few 'montage moments' in the second half come to mind.

jason bean

Maverick wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Pat) wrote:
>

>>Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
>>critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
>>Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
>>Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
>>friends hated it because they felt it showed the
>>ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
>>was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
>>they would like to paint a happy face on our
>>history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
>>fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
>>job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
>>Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
>>up.

> I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
> this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
> the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
> flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
> their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
> good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
> outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

Weird, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
Once I watched it , I had to watch it another two times. Loved it .

jason