Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Chaplin releases. . .

New Chaplin releases. . .

Dr. Shavers

The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
said?

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Shavers) wrote:

>The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
>buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
>said?

I wish I could tell you. I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon,
and they had none of the four Chaplin releases, nor did they have the
four vintage swashbucklers that Warner was supposed to be releasing
this week (THE CRIMSON PIRATE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, THE MASTER
OF BALLANTRAE, and SCARAMOUCHE), nor did they have the next Fox Studio
Classic, ANASTASIA.

-- jayembee

John Harkness

On 1 Jul 2003 18:51:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Shavers)
wrote:

>The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
>buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
>said?

Yes, they are.

John Harkness

Grand Inquisitor

jayembee wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Shavers) wrote:
>

>>The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
>>buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
>>said?

> I wish I could tell you. I went to the local Best Buy this afternoon,
> and they had none of the four Chaplin releases, nor did they have the
> four vintage swashbucklers that Warner was supposed to be releasing
> this week (THE CRIMSON PIRATE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, THE MASTER
> OF BALLANTRAE, and SCARAMOUCHE), nor did they have the next Fox Studio
> Classic, ANASTASIA.
>
> -- jayembee

I worked at a Best Buy and I can tell you that the only reason to buy
DVDs there would be on the release day of a major DVD, because then the
price will be really good. Otherwise, order from online
(www.dvdpricesearch.com), you save tons.

--
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork

Grand Inquisitor

Patrick McCart

DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.

thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
approval rating.

"John Harkness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 1 Jul 2003 18:51:50 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Dr. Shavers)
> wrote:
>
> >The A-P is raving about these new releases -freaking raving. Anyone
> >buy them yet? Are they as choice as a couple of different writers have
> >said?

> Yes, they are.
>
> John Harkness

John Harkness

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Patrick McCart wrote:
>> DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
>> authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
>> 16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.
>>

>Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
>ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?
>
>> thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
>> restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
>> and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
>> the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
>> approval rating.

>They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
>DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
>(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
>feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
>edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
>know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
>I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
>original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
-- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.

The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.

John Harkness

Kenneth Molen

John Harkness <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Patrick McCart wrote:
> >> DVDFile gave a somewhat divided review, but they usually are not a good
> >> authority on classic films or film technology. They don't understand why
> >> 16mm has more visible grain than 35mm, for example.
> >>

> >Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
> >ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?
> >
> >> thedigitalbits.com will have an article by Robert Harris soon (he's the film
> >> restoration genius who saved Lawrence of Arabia, Vertigo, and My Fair Lady)
> >> and his opinion is usually the final word for DVDs. Also, the producer of
> >> the previous Image/CBS-FOX versions, David Shepard, gives them a huge
> >> approval rating.

> >They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
> >DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
> >(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
> >feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
> >edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
> >know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
> >I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
> >original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

> Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
> all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
> -- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
> the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
> original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
> and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.
>
> The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
> accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
> authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.
>
> John Harkness

It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.

KM

John Harkness

On 2 Jul 2003 05:57:09 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Kenneth Molen) wrote:

>John Harkness <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:47 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Can you cite a review where they revealed this shocking piece of gross
>> >ignorance and stupidity? Was it a "Miles Long" review?

>> >They sound great, but my only niggling concern (and I've only read the
>> >DVDFile review so far) is that the original 1925 version of Gold Rush
>> >(which should be the primary version instead of the tacked-on special
>> >feature), only has an electric piano version of the score, whilst the
>> >edited version features an updated version of the original score (don't
>> >know if this is a faithful Carl Davis rendition or something else).
>> >I'll definitely get it (I'm no fool), but I just hope the score for the
>> >original version isn't as bad as they make it sound.

>> Interesting that you think the 1925 version should be primary -- after
>> all, the 1942 version represents Chaplin's final thoughts on the film
>> -- it was his own cut of the film after all. And what's on the disc is
>> the original score that played in theatres in 1942, with a choice of
>> original mono or a Dolby remix. The added voicerover bits was written
>> and spoken by Chaplin himself, after all.
>>
>> The 1925 version comes in the Kevin Brownlow restoration with a piano
>> accompaniment based on the original compilation score. Which is pretty
>> authentic to the experience of an audience in 1925.
>>
>> John Harkness

>It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
>Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
>and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
>similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
>their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.
>
>KM

Well, Greedo doesn't shoot first in the revised Gold Rush, and both
the original and the revision are in the package.

John Harkness

Jay Stewart

"John Harkness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip>

> >It's not so strange, really. Many people consider the original Star
> >Wars movies, before their re-release in the 90's, to be the primary
> >and best version of those movies. The issue with Gold Rush is very
> >similar the Star Wars thing, as all these movies were approved by
> >their creator yet all versions have their fans and detractors.
> >
> >KM

> Well, Greedo doesn't shoot first in the revised Gold Rush, and both
> the original and the revision are in the package.
>
> John Harkness

Geez, John. I don't think Greedo is even in Gold Rush, IIRC.
)

Vincent Vega

In article <psBMa.340263$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Geez, John. I don't think Greedo is even in Gold Rush, IIRC.

Yeah, he's the one that gives Charlie the idea to eat the shoe.