Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Region 0

Re: Region 0

Grand Inquisitor

Dimitri Dewever wrote:
> Has anybody got a clue what this is?
> I came across a DVD that was PAL Region 0 (all regions
> stated on the box) Is this possible ??

Region 0 means it has no region restrictions, it can be played anywhere,
in theory. Realistically though there are competing tv formats (PAL and
NTSC being the biggies), but I believe that cross-compatible TVs (as
well as region-free DVD players) are commonplace in Europe (very rare
here in the US, as there's little call for foreign DVDs).

--
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork

Grand Inquisitor

Jay G

"Kenneth Crudup" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...
> In article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says:
>
> >Region 0 means it has no region restrictions, it can be played anywhere,
> >in theory.

> Yeah, but I have an NTSC R0 disc that won't play in either my home
> player (RCA 5215p) or my Panasonic Portable (L-50)- I have to play
> it on a computer.

That sounds like some other problem other than its region.

-Jay

jayembee

Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've gotten R0 DVDs from the library that worked fine
>(picture quality left a lot to be desired, as per usual with an R0
>release, as they tend to be generic Asian releases).

Actually, quite a number of Criterion's releases are R0. Basically,
anything that isn't from Universal, Disney, or Toho.

-- jayembee

Grand Inquisitor

jayembee wrote:
> Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I've gotten R0 DVDs from the library that worked fine
>>(picture quality left a lot to be desired, as per usual with an R0
>>release, as they tend to be generic Asian releases).

> Actually, quite a number of Criterion's releases are R0. Basically,
> anything that isn't from Universal, Disney, or Toho.
>
> -- jayembee

Hmm, looks like you're right, I just checked five and didn't see a
single region notifier of any kind, not even on the disc.