Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Adventures of Robin Hood (1938): More Details.

Adventures of Robin Hood (1938): More Details.

Scot Gardner

The Adventures of Robin Hood will include a commentary by film historian
Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track, the 65th anniversary documentary
Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of the Adventures of Robin Hood, classic
Looney Tunes cartoons, vintage Warner movie shorts, a featurette on
Robin Hood adaptations through the ages, home movies from the set,
outtakes and radio broadcasts.

Sept. 30 (prebook Sept. 2)

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...8&catType=NEWS

Derek Janssen

Scot Gardner wrote:

> The Adventures of Robin Hood will include a commentary by film historian
> Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track, the 65th anniversary documentary
> Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of the Adventures of Robin Hood, classic
> Looney Tunes cartoons

"...Nahhh, that's silly--Couldn't be HIM."

> vintage Warner movie shorts, a featurette on
> Robin Hood adaptations through the ages, home movies from the set,
> outtakes and radio broadcasts.
>
> Sept. 30 (prebook Sept. 2)

Now, if they'd just give us that non-crammed 2-disk Wizard of Oz SE.

Derek Janssen

TSKO

WOO HOO!!

Sorry......couldnt contain my excitement.....been waiting for this one for
awhile now

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scot Gardner wrote:
> >
> > The Adventures of Robin Hood will include a commentary by film

historian
> > Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track, the 65th anniversary documentary
> > Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of the Adventures of Robin Hood, classic
> > Looney Tunes cartoons

> "...Nahhh, that's silly--Couldn't be HIM."
> >
> > vintage Warner movie shorts, a featurette on
> > Robin Hood adaptations through the ages, home movies from the set,
> > outtakes and radio broadcasts.
> >
> > Sept. 30 (prebook Sept. 2)

> Now, if they'd just give us that non-crammed 2-disk Wizard of Oz SE.
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

Scot Gardner

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[Robin Hood 2-disk DVD extravaganza details snipped]

<<Now, if they'd just give us that non-crammed 2-disk Wizard of Oz SE.>>

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Yeah, or maybe even a 2-disk _Gone With The Wind_.

Derek Janssen

TSKO wrote:

> > > The Adventures of Robin Hood will include a commentary by film

> historian
> > > Rudy Behlmer, a music-only track, the 65th anniversary documentary
> > > Welcome to Sherwood: The Story of the Adventures of Robin Hood, classic
> > > Looney Tunes cartoons

> > "...Nahhh, that's silly--Couldn't be HIM."

And, of course:
"Ho, ha-ha, guard, turn, perry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust!"

> > > vintage Warner movie shorts, a featurette on
> > > Robin Hood adaptations through the ages, home movies from the set,
> > > outtakes and radio broadcasts.
> > > Sept. 30 (prebook Sept. 2)

Apparently, Warner doesn't want their *main* 2-disk-fixup line (Right
Stuff, Giant, etc.) to be upstaged, so--like Disney suddenly doubling up
their Platinum line to get things out while they can--they're now
ushering in a second "Night at the Movies" (ie. period featurettes,
newsreels, cartoons) line for more 2-disked-up classics in a year:
Robin will be making his shelf entrance accompanied by "Treasure of the
Sierra Madre" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

> WOO HOO!!

Indeed. ^_^

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Derek Janssen

> > historian
> > >
> > > "...Nahhh, that's silly--Couldn't be HIM."

> And, of course:
> "Ho, ha-ha, guard, turn, perry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust!"

> Apparently, Warner doesn't want their *main* 2-disk-fixup line (Right
> Stuff, Giant, etc.) to be upstaged, so--like Disney suddenly doubling up
> their Platinum line to get things out while they can--they're now
> ushering in a second "Night at the Movies" (ie. period featurettes,
> newsreels, cartoons) line for more 2-disked-up classics in a year:
> Robin will be making his shelf entrance accompanied by "Treasure of the
> Sierra Madre" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

And needless to add, one of the confirmed Looney cartoons accompanying
"Sierra Madre" will be:
"...Shay, pahdon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down
on his luck?"

Derek Janssen (hit da road!)
(E-Mail Removed)

jayembee

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><<Now, if they'd just give us that non-crammed 2-disk Wizard of Oz SE.>>
>
>Yeah, or maybe even a 2-disk _Gone With The Wind_.

A Special Edition of GWTW is rumored to be on the docket for the
film's 65th Anniversary next year. That would also be the right time
for a 2-disk SE of WOZ, though I haven't heard of any rumors to that
effect.

-- jayembee

Scot Gardner

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> ><<Now, if they'd just give us that non-crammed 2-disk Wizard of Oz

SE.>>

> >Yeah, or maybe even a 2-disk _Gone With The Wind_.

> A Special Edition of GWTW is rumored to be on the docket for the
> film's 65th Anniversary next year. That would also be the right time
> for a 2-disk SE of WOZ, though I haven't heard of any rumors to that
> effect.
>
> -- jayembee

Sounds good, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to the release
schedule of the Warner re-releases, such as this 61st anniversary DVD:

_Casablanca_ (Special Edition) (1942)

Studio: Warner Home Video

DVD Release Date: August 5, 2003

DVD Features:

Commentary by critic Roger Ebert

Commentary by author-historian Rudy Behlmer

Theatrical trailer(s)

Introduction by Lauren Bacall

New digital transfer

Nearly 10 minutes of newly found deleted scenes and outtakes

Bacall hosts two documentaries, "You Must Remember This" and "Bacall
on Bogart"

"The Children Remember": parental memories from Stephen Bogart and
Ingrid Bergman's daughters Pia Lindstrom and Isabella Rosselini

The Looney Tunes homage "Carrotblanca"

Premier episode from the 1955 Casablanca TV series

Audio-only treasures: "Screen Guild Players Radio Production" with
the three stars, plus rare scoring session outtakes

Production history gallery: Photos, press materials, studio
correspondence, memorabilia, and more

Full-screen format

Number of discs: 2

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

Patrick McCart

2004 will see a new edition, VERY likely. Olivia DeHavilland already
recorded a commentary for the film (along with Robin Hood...it's not in the
press release yet)

Plus, Lowry Digital Images expressed interest in doing new restorations at
2K for Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz in Ultra-Resolution.

They also expressed interest in Sunset Blvd. a few years ago, and you see
what happened.

news:20030630212510.134$(E-Mail Removed)...

Patrick McCart wrote:

> 2004 will see a new edition, VERY likely. Olivia DeHavilland already
> recorded a commentary for the film (along with Robin Hood...it's not in the
> press release yet)
>
> Plus, Lowry Digital Images expressed interest in doing new restorations at
> 2K for Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz in Ultra-Resolution.
>
> They also expressed interest in Sunset Blvd. a few years ago, and you see
> what happened.

Yes, but unlike Sunset, there actually *ARE* existing 35mm prints of
GWTW and WOz...

(For now, like "Right Stuff" and "Amadeus", Warner 2-disking depends on
just how MUCH fans hated the previous clumsy proto-Warner release--
Which doesn't put WOz out of the running, but...)

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)