Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Equilibrium"

"Equilibrium"

David Kehler

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 21:03:48 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David Kehler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >Something in particular that I don't like? Geez, where to start?

>That's
>> >like asking why specifically Ed Wood was not a good screenwriter or
>> >director. There are just so very many things wrong with the concept

>and
>> >execution of this movie. How about the fact that, in this society

>were
>> >all emotions are supposed to be suppressed, nobody has a problem
>> >expressing pride or arrogance?

>> Who? Where?

>Taye Diggs, in every smirking line of dialogue he delivered, for
>instance.

Seems to me he was a spy with close ties to the commander. Probably
wasn't on Prozium either.

>> >How about the idiotic scenes where
>> >Christian Bale 'discovers his feelings' by fawning over a puppy? Oh,
>> >there are so many others, I don't even know where to begin.

>> You don't like puppies?

>I don't like movies where an otherwise intelligent character, at the
>first sight of a puppy, would be reduced to pouting and tears, and would
>be completely incapable of hiding this emotion from others even though
>he knows his life is at stake.

He wasn't "reduced to pouting and tears". And if you had suppressed
your emotions all your life, I find it plausible they might overwhelm
you when finally released.

David

Joshua Zyber

"David Kehler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Taye Diggs, in every smirking line of dialogue he delivered, for
> >instance.

> Seems to me he was a spy with close ties to the commander. Probably
> wasn't on Prozium either.
>
> >I don't like movies where an otherwise intelligent character, at the
> >first sight of a puppy, would be reduced to pouting and tears, and

would
> >be completely incapable of hiding this emotion from others even

though
> >he knows his life is at stake.

> He wasn't "reduced to pouting and tears". And if you had suppressed
> your emotions all your life, I find it plausible they might overwhelm
> you when finally released.

Feel free to rationalize it all you want. The movie was dumb. It was a
dumb concept that was badly executed with dumb writing. The handful of
cool shooting scenes were not enough to compensate for the overwhelming
stupidity of the rest of the movie.

You are free to like it if you want to. I can't stop you.

Jay G

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in ...

> The handful of cool shooting scenes were not enough to
> compensate for the overwhelming
> stupidity of the rest of the movie.

Yes they were.

-Jay