Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Equilibrium"

"Equilibrium"

Joshua Zyber

news:dhgMa.218274$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> And if you really believe your description of it, your taste in movies

is
> too incredibly strange for us to have any common ground to discuss it.

It would appear that way, yes. Though obviously from my perspective it's
your taste that is "strange".

> The
> difference between us is that I know that my dislike for a movie

doesn't
> make it a bad movie, whereas you are too immature and inexperienced to

admit
> this.

Riiiiiiight.

Joshua Zyber

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
> >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
> >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
> >with something deep and profound.
> >

> It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
> Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
> when freedom is denied.

And you don't see these "simple illustrations" as attempts to say
something deep or profound about human nature?

Equilibrium takes itself and its message with deadly seriousness. The
filmmakers actually believed that they were saying something 'Important'
with this pile of crap.

rander3127@rogers.com

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:32:28 GMT, "Tom Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:56:32 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> >moronic,
>> >action

>> >Have you actually seen it? It's "Brave New Farenheit 1984" mish-mash
>> >storyline was a completely ludicrous mess, the kind of thing a high
>> >school sophmore would scribble as a comic book and think he's come up
>> >with something deep and profound.
>> >

>> It wasn't supposed to be deep and profound. Neither was 1984 or
>> Farenheit 451. They were simple illustrations of what happens
>> when freedom is denied.

>So when freedom is denied, the mystical martial art of pointing your finger
>like a gun and waving it around is invented?
>
>Tom

How come when some Chinese filmaker does a film using that kind of
thing, he's lauded?
-Rich

Joshua Zyber

news:m0sMa.228051$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > > The
> > > difference between us is that I know that my dislike for a movie

> > doesn't
> > > make it a bad movie, whereas you are too immature and

inexperienced to
> > admit
> > > this.

> > Riiiiiiight.

> Glad you agree, because it is painfully obvious.

Such childishness. You bore me.

Believe that Equilibrium is not a painfully stupid movie if you want to.
I can't stop you. Some day you'll turn around and acknowledge the error
of your ways.

Frode

Joshua Zyber

"Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f0278c1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Such childishness. You bore me.
> > Believe that Equilibrium is not a painfully stupid movie if you want

to.
> > I can't stop you. Some day you'll turn around and acknowledge the

error
> > of your ways.

> Yeah, clearly your taste is movies is the only "correct" one.

Not in every case. But in this case, yeah.

Rick

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdtldp$vht$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:m0sMa.228051$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > > doesn't

> inexperienced to
> > > admit
> > >
> > > Riiiiiiight.

> > Glad you agree, because it is painfully obvious.

> Such childishness. You bore me.

How ironic that you should accuse anyone else of being childish. You attack
people personally for liking a movie you dislike and then accuse OTHERS of
being childish. How painfully ironic. Hopefully someday you will grow up.

Frode

Joshua Zyber

"Frode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f02e05f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Yeah, clearly your taste is movies is the only "correct" one.

> > Not in every case. But in this case, yeah.

> It's taste. Yours by definition cannot be any more or less correct

than any
> others' since it's all an individual experience and preference.

Sometimes "taste" or "individual experience and preference" can and
should be broken down into a matter of Right and Wrong. Someone who has
a taste for kiddie porn, for example, would be Wrong.

No, I am not trying to equate this movie with kiddie porn or the people
who watch it with child molesters. Clearly, this is not in anyway in
that same league of Wrongness. However, to say that all matters of taste
or personal preference "by definition cannot be any more or less correct
than any others'" is foolish.

Joshua Zyber

"David Kehler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Something in particular that I don't like? Geez, where to start?

That's
> >like asking why specifically Ed Wood was not a good screenwriter or
> >director. There are just so very many things wrong with the concept

and
> >execution of this movie. How about the fact that, in this society

were
> >all emotions are supposed to be suppressed, nobody has a problem
> >expressing pride or arrogance?

> Who? Where?

Taye Diggs, in every smirking line of dialogue he delivered, for
instance.

> >How about the idiotic scenes where
> >Christian Bale 'discovers his feelings' by fawning over a puppy? Oh,
> >there are so many others, I don't even know where to begin.

> You don't like puppies?

I don't like movies where an otherwise intelligent character, at the
first sight of a puppy, would be reduced to pouting and tears, and would
be completely incapable of hiding this emotion from others even though
he knows his life is at stake.