Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Synchronize bookmarks?

Synchronize bookmarks?

Marek Williams

What does that do?

I have a Windows 2000 desktop and a Linux laptop, both running the
latest Firefox. I know I can export bookmarks from either version as
an html file, then import that file into the other version. But when I
do I end up with tons of duplicate entries because it adds the entries
from the file even if the entry is already there.

So does Synchronize Bookmarks do what I hope it does? If I click on it
will it pop up a dialog box asking which other copy of Firefox on the
network I want to synchronize with? Or does it do none of the above
and I have totally misinterpreted what it does?

Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

gwtc

Marek Williams wrote:

> What does that do?
>
> I have a Windows 2000 desktop and a Linux laptop, both running the
> latest Firefox. I know I can export bookmarks from either version as
> an html file, then import that file into the other version. But when I
> do I end up with tons of duplicate entries because it adds the entries
> from the file even if the entry is already there.
>
> So does Synchronize Bookmarks do what I hope it does? If I click on it
> will it pop up a dialog box asking which other copy of Firefox on the
> network I want to synchronize with? Or does it do none of the above
> and I have totally misinterpreted what it does?
>
> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
adding to the current file.

To locate your profile, see this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

But if you're using windows, your profile is hidden, so you have to
unhide window files. To do that you can read this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

Leonidas Jones

Marek Williams wrote:
> What does that do?
>
> I have a Windows 2000 desktop and a Linux laptop, both running the
> latest Firefox. I know I can export bookmarks from either version as
> an html file, then import that file into the other version. But when I
> do I end up with tons of duplicate entries because it adds the entries
> from the file even if the entry is already there.
>
> So does Synchronize Bookmarks do what I hope it does? If I click on it
> will it pop up a dialog box asking which other copy of Firefox on the
> network I want to synchronize with? Or does it do none of the above
> and I have totally misinterpreted what it does?
>
> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

Instead of export/import, just copy your bookmarks.html file form the
profile folder on one machine, to the profile folder on the othet.

Lee

Marek Williams

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:

>Marek Williams wrote:
>
>> What does that do?
>>
>> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

>What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
>that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
>adding to the current file.

Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.

Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
other.

I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.

--

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> dijo:
>
>> Marek Williams wrote:
>>
>>> What does that do?
>>>
>>> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

>> What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
>> that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
>> adding to the current file.

> Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
> Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
> version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
> exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
> into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
> the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
> through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.
>
> Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
> version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
> What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
> bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
> which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
> other.
>
> I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.

I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
Do this with Firefox closed.

I synch bookmarks this way going from my Mac desktop to my XP laptop.

I can provide information on the profile locations if required.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Marek Williams wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
>><(E-Mail Removed) > dijo:

>>>What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
>>>that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
>>>adding to the current file.

>>Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
>>Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
>>version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
>>exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
>>into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
>>the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
>>through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.
>>
>>Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
>>version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
>>What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
>>bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
>>which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
>>other.
>>
>>I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.
>>

> I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
> function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
> profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
> into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
> Do this with Firefox closed.
>
> I synch bookmarks this way going from my Mac desktop to my XP laptop.
>
> I can provide information on the profile locations if required.
>
> Lee

To add to what Lee said, when you import bookmarks, all you're doing
is ADDing to the current list, so thats why you had duplicates.

Marek Williams

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:28:09 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
dijo:

>I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
>function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
>profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
>into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
>Do this with Firefox closed.

But I like *some* of the bookmarks from *each* computer. If I do as
you suggest I will lose some of the ones I like.

--

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:28:09 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> dijo:
>
>> I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
>> function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
>> profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
>> into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
>> Do this with Firefox closed.

> But I like *some* of the bookmarks from *each* computer. If I do as
> you suggest I will lose some of the ones I like.

Depending on the number involved, it may actually be easiest to go to
the sites and rebookmark them.

Lee