Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > New Releases: Identity, Smallville, Brat Pack: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

New Releases: Identity, Smallville, Brat Pack: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

Doug MacLean

Warner Brothers has formalized the release information for the September
23rd release of the complete first season of Smallville. This six disc set
will have Dolby Surround audio and 1.77:1 anamorphic video. The included
pilot episode will have a commentary by director David Nutter and producers
Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. All 21 episodes will be included. The episode
Metamorphosis will have a commentary track by Gough and Millar. Two episode
will feature deleted scenes and there will be an interactive tour of
Smallville. The list price is $64.92.

Universal has announced a re-release of The Breakfast Club. This new release
(UPC 025192315626) will feature both Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio as well as
1.85:1 anamorphic video. The release date is September 2nd for $19.98. Also
on that date you can pick up the Brat Pack set featuring Sixteen Candles,
Weird Science, Breakfast Club also with DTS and anamorphic video for $39.98.

Also from Universal is Three O'Clock High with Dolby Surround sound and
anamorphic video on September 2nd. Minority Report (Single-Disc Edition)
will be released on August 19th.

Speaking of single disc editions, Dreamworks as Gladiator (2000/ Special
Edition/ 1-Disc) set for release also on August19th.

MGM/UA has made another announcement for Bowling For Columbine (Special
Ediction) indicating a release date of August 19th.

Columbia/Tri-Star will release Identity (Special Edition) on September 2nd.
The video will include both a pan&scan version as well as a reported 2.40:1
anamorphic transfer. The audio will be Dolby 5.1. Extras currently listed
include an exclusive branched version of film with alternative ending and an
additional scene, a director's commentary, additional deleted scenes with
director's commentary, storyboard comparisons and STARZ Special: On the Set
of Identity. The suggested price is listed as $27.94. There will also be a
three film set Identity 3-pack (Identity, Trapped, Memento) for $53.95.

Columbia has Boyz 'N The Hood (10th Anniversary Edition) set for September
2nd. This two disc set also has both pan&scan as well as anamorphic 1.85:1
video with Dolby Surround audio. No word yet as to what extras will
populate the second disc but I should have something in a short while. The
cost is listed as $27.94. The television division of Columbia has Best of
Designing Women set for September 2nd as well.

Ruby, the story of the man that shot Lee Harvey Oswald on national
television will come out on September 2nd, also from Columbia. That date
will also bring out Under Suspicion (1992) and Endurance (a documentary of
the ill fated exploration of Sir Ernest Shackleton). All are currently
listed as being widescreen with stereo audio.

Spacecraft Films has several titles that should be of interest to those of
us that grew up watching the American space program, Apollo 8 - Leaving the
Cradle, Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon, Apollo 14 - Complete Downlink Edition,
Apollo 15 - Complete Downlink Edition, Apollo 16 - Complete Downlink
Edition, Mighty Saturns - Part I - The Early Missions, Mighty Saturns - Part
II - The Saturn V and STS-109 - Columbia and Hubble. Fox is assuming the
release of these titles for wider distribution. All are due out on August
19th.

Paramount has provided additional information about the September 23rd
release of James Clavell's Shogun (Special Edition). It is now confirmed
that the audio has been remixed to Dolby 5.1. So far the extras have been
described as including 3 historical perspective featurettes, The Making of
Shogun - A 13-segment featurette and commentary by director Jerry London on
select scenes.

On July 22nd Kino has In Celebration ready for release. The audio is listed
as Dolby Stereo with anamorphic 1.85:1 video. The extras are listed as
including Interviews with Alan Bates and playwright David Storey, "David
Storey and In Celebration" an essay by Michael Feingold, AFT Cinebill for In
Celebration and an American Film Theatre Scrapbook. Also on that date are
The Man In The Glass Booth featuring interview with director Arthur Hiller
and Edie Landau; "Robert Shaw and The Man in the Glass Booth" an essay by
Michael Feingold, AFT Cinebill for The Man in the Glass Booth, Ely Landau:
In Front of the Camera promotional reel. In addition July 22nd brings Three
Sisters with an interview with Alan Bates, The American Film Theatre
Scrapbook "Anton Chekhov and Three Sisters" an essay by Michael Feingold;
The AFT Cinebill for Three sisters. They are also in Dolby Stereo and
anamorphic video. Each are listed at $29.95.

BFS Entertainment has Many Faces Of Sherlock Holmes, Golf: The Ridiculous
Obsession and Coming Through due out on October 28th. They also have Rudy:
The Rudy Giuliani Story, the recent bio-pic of the former New York City
mayor ready for release on September 2nd.

in several formats as well as daily changes. The official list now features
29,378 titles with 162 additions or changes and 631 Pre-Release
announcements. The All Titles list has 30,009 titles. Recent releases
include: Last Week 166, This Week 248 and Next Week 155 titles.

Featured review this week is Flight of the Phoenix, previews of Daredevil,
Gangs of New York and Chcago DVDs. Recent film reviews include It Came From
Beneath the Sea, Children of Dune, The Hulk Original TV Pilot, Harry Potter
and the Chamber of Secrets, Secretary, Cube 2: Hypercube, Killing Me Softly,
Real Women Have Curves, The Day the Earth Stood Still , Invaders From Mars
(1953), Six Feet Under,Usual Suspects, Gormenghast, Dr. Strangelove and
Outland. Coming titles listed before all the specs are in can be found in a
new list, http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm

Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
(http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.

Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice
daily.

Please stop by and visit.
Thank you.
--
Doug MacLean
http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

GMAN

In article <AhuKa.2071$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Warner Brothers has formalized the release information for the September
>23rd release of the complete first season of Smallville. This six disc set
>will have Dolby Surround audio and 1.77:1 anamorphic video. The included
>pilot episode will have a commentary by director David Nutter and producers
>Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. All 21 episodes will be included. The episode
>Metamorphosis will have a commentary track by Gough and Millar. Two episode
>will feature deleted scenes and there will be an interactive tour of
>Smallville. The list price is $64.92.
>
>Universal has announced a re-release of The Breakfast Club. This new release
>(UPC 025192315626) will feature both Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio as well as
>1.85:1 anamorphic video. The release date is September 2nd for $19.98. Also
>on that date you can pick up the Brat Pack set featuring Sixteen Candles,
>Weird Science, Breakfast Club also with DTS and anamorphic video for $39.98.
>
>Also from Universal is Three O'Clock High with Dolby Surround sound and
>anamorphic video on September 2nd. Minority Report (Single-Disc Edition)
>will be released on August 19th.

Cool, was an extra in 3 o'clock high during the fight scene in the parking lot
of Ogden high School.

> [...]
>Real Women Have Curves, The Day the Earth Stood Still , Invaders From Mars
>(1953), Six Feet Under,Usual Suspects, Gormenghast, Dr. Strangelove and
>Outland. Coming titles listed before all the specs are in can be found in a
>new list, http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/pre-releases.htm
>
>Updated lists for discontinued, cancelled, postponed and rescheduled titles
>as well as lists for DTS, ES/EX and Superbit titles. UPC numbers and
>original release dates now being added to the database. There is also a
>greatly expanded list of titles that were rescheduled or reissued. Search
>function for the database, (now including UPC search) complements of site
>partner and friend, Michael's Movie Mayhem
>(http://kazart.com/mec/DVDList2.html) and DVDLister.
>
>Updates to the DVD database, including release specs usually made twice

Evil

"Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<AhuKa.2071$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Also from Universal is Three O'Clock High with Dolby Surround sound and
> anamorphic video on September 2nd. Minority Report (Single-Disc Edition)
> will be released on August 19th.

YES!!! A Hidden treasure and one of my faves from the 80s.

> Spacecraft Films has several titles that should be of interest to those of
> us that grew up watching the American space program, Apollo 8 - Leaving the
> Cradle, Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon, Apollo 14 - Complete Downlink Edition,
> Apollo 15 - Complete Downlink Edition, Apollo 16 - Complete Downlink
> Edition, Mighty Saturns - Part I - The Early Missions, Mighty Saturns - Part
> II - The Saturn V and STS-109 - Columbia and Hubble. Fox is assuming the
> release of these titles for wider distribution. All are due out on August
> 19th.

has anyone seen any of these documentaries? I love well-done docs on
space and the space program.

Doug MacLean

"Evil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<AhuKa.2071$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > Spacecraft Films has several titles that should be of interest to those

of
> > us that grew up watching the American space program, Apollo 8 - Leaving

the
> > Cradle, Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon, Apollo 14 - Complete Downlink

Edition,
> > Apollo 15 - Complete Downlink Edition, Apollo 16 - Complete Downlink
> > Edition, Mighty Saturns - Part I - The Early Missions, Mighty Saturns -

Part
> > II - The Saturn V and STS-109 - Columbia and Hubble. Fox is assuming the
> > release of these titles for wider distribution. All are due out on

August
> > 19th.

> has anyone seen any of these documentaries? I love well-done docs on
> space and the space program.

From the previews I've seen they are excellent. Very complete with a lot of
shots that brought back a lot of memories.
--

Doug MacLean
Home Theater Info

Evil

"Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<6LDKa.12348$N%(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> "Evil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Doug MacLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<AhuKa.2071$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >
> > > Spacecraft Films has several titles that should be of interest to those

> of
> > > us that grew up watching the American space program, Apollo 8 - Leaving

> the
> > > Cradle, Apollo 11 - Men on the Moon, Apollo 14 - Complete Downlink

> Edition,
> > > Apollo 15 - Complete Downlink Edition, Apollo 16 - Complete Downlink
> > > Edition, Mighty Saturns - Part I - The Early Missions, Mighty Saturns -

> Part
> > > II - The Saturn V and STS-109 - Columbia and Hubble. Fox is assuming the
> > > release of these titles for wider distribution. All are due out on

> August
> > > 19th.

> > has anyone seen any of these documentaries? I love well-done docs on
> > space and the space program.

> From the previews I've seen they are excellent. Very complete with a lot of
> shots that brought back a lot of memories.

thx. I'll keep an eye out for them then.