Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Upcoming Carpenter Halloween 2-Disc set

Re: Upcoming Carpenter Halloween 2-Disc set

Grand Inquisitor

Coyote wrote:
> Well, I myself am excited, as Halloween for many years has been one of
> favorite films. Plus I have a real "thing" for making-of
> documentaries (the doc on the dvd with the hologram cover is
> wonderful):
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?G24F52705
>
> When the page comes up, scroll down to the Halloween artwork and then
> click on the DVD logo.

Does it have the old laserdisc commentary? I read on www.horrordvds.com
that it's the only thing the LD has over the existing single-disc DVD.

--
"It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
--Zork

Grand Inquisitor

Michael Black

"Mike Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Grand Inquisitor wrote:
> > Coyote wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I myself am excited, as Halloween for many years has been one of
> >> favorite films. Plus I have a real "thing" for making-of
> >> documentaries (the doc on the dvd with the hologram cover is
> >> wonderful):
> >>
> >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?G24F52705
> >>
> >> When the page comes up, scroll down to the Halloween artwork and then
> >> click on the DVD logo.
> >>

> > Does it have the old laserdisc commentary? I read on www.horrordvds.com
> > that it's the only thing the LD has over the existing single-disc DVD.
> >

> Coyote,
> Darn good question. The link doesn't say specifically, and lists
> Carpenter, Hill and Curtis, who did the original Criterion laser
> commentary. In this case, your guess is as good as mine. Needless to
> say, I won't be selling my laserdisc copy <ggg.>
> All the best, Mike

Try this link:

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...sp?sku=DV12284

It has an audio commentary with all the same participants from the LD, but
they don't say whether it's in fact the Criterion commentary. It probably
is, considering that Carpenter has said he doesn't want to do another
commentary, but then again his last couple of films didn't do too well...

Dammit! How many times must I buy this movie????!!!!

I bought 2 widescreen versions of the VHS. I bought the limited 2 disc DVD
that was out a while back, and I guess I'm just going to be a sucker and buy
this one too.

DV8

Yes, it's the commentary from the LD. This was taken from dvdfile.com.

"Poor Laurie, scared another one away..." - 12:00am

Oh, c'mon now, you didn't really think he was dead, did you? Jason may
be more butch and Freddy better with the quick quip, but Michael Myers
remains the king of the extras-laden DVD. There have been so many DVD
versions of the John Carpenter classic Halloween and its endless
sequels that I've long ago lost count. Now, on August 5th comes a new
25th Anniversary Edition from the ever-dependable Anchor Bay
Entertainment. So, what are you gonna get on this new version? Two
full discs of fun, thanks to the miracle of seamless branching you can
pick from both the theatrical cut and the extended version on the
first platter (all spiffy in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby
Digital 5.1, and yes, the original mono track is on there, too) plus
the long-out-of-print audio commentary with Carpenter, Debra Hill and
Jamie Lee Curtis courtesy of the folks at Criterion. Disc two features
a new 90-minute documentary that includes the famed making-of footage
as seen in the recent AMC Backstory, a still gallery and plenty of
trailers, TV and radio spots. Retail is $29.95.

DV8

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:58:04 GMT, Coyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That AMC Backstory is very, very much like the excellent documentary
>on the hologram-cover DVD. In fact, far more than half of the footage
>is identical.

That's good to know. I've been holding off buying the THX version ever
since they announced the 25th anniversary edition. There were rumors
that they were trying to get an audio commentary, which is really the
only extra I care about that the THX version lacks. I've already seen
the AMC Backstory but I really want to hear that commentary. I'm glad
I waited.

I'm still waiting patiently for Day Of The Dead SE(Aug. 19), The Hills
Have Eyes SE(Sep. 23) and the Dawn Of The Dead 3-disc box set(Feb).

Coyote

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:58:34 -0400, DV8 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:58:04 GMT, Coyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>That AMC Backstory is very, very much like the excellent documentary
>>on the hologram-cover DVD. In fact, far more than half of the footage
>>is identical.

>That's good to know. I've been holding off buying the THX version ever
>since they announced the 25th anniversary edition. There were rumors
>that they were trying to get an audio commentary, which is really the
>only extra I care about that the THX version lacks. I've already seen
>the AMC Backstory but I really want to hear that commentary. I'm glad
>I waited.
>
>I'm still waiting patiently for Day Of The Dead SE(Aug. 19), The Hills
>Have Eyes SE(Sep. 23) and the Dawn Of The Dead 3-disc box set(Feb).

Along with HALLOWEEN I'm looking forward to DEAD AND BURIED (7/29);
the HOWLING SE (8/26); BURNT OFFERINGS (8/26); and THE HAUNTING 1963
(8/5).

--
Coyote

To reply by email, it's http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

Paul Poroshin

The link doesn't say specifically, and lists
> Carpenter, Hill and Curtis, who did the original Criterion laser
> commentary. In this case, your guess is as good as mine. Needless to
> say, I won't be selling my laserdisc copy <ggg.>

Sell it. Anchor Bay has confirmed during the HTF chat that they've licensed
the track from Criterion.