Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: POLL: Grumpy Old Men WS vs P&S

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: POLL: Grumpy Old Men WS vs P&S

 
 
The Demolition Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2003
Shamus ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said the following crap:
> Original Fullscreen!
> Old Man Grump


Uhhh... the "Fullscreen" is missing 33% of the picture. Therefore,
it is not the "original" as you put it.

--
The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
A reminder to the world....
"Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
-Bill Schwenke


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shamus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2003
"The Demolition Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Shamus ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said the following crap:
> > Original Fullscreen!
> > Old Man Grump

>
> Uhhh... the "Fullscreen" is missing 33% of the picture. Therefore,
> it is not the "original" as you put it.
>
> --
> The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
> A reminder to the world....
> "Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
> allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
> components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
> -Bill Schwenke
>

Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is 1950
when I bought my first TV. If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
wasted. That's the black spaces on the top and bottom. If I purchased a
new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your point.
Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all. Ah progress thy
name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and not
because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.

Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2003

"Shamus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHPJa.18662$(E-Mail Removed)...

: Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
: obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all

=====================
The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
They will not be obsolete.
==========================


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shamus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2003

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ef85bbf$0$25774$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> "Shamus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsHPJa.18662$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> : Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
> : obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all
>
> =====================
> The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
> They will not be obsolete.
> ==========================
>


I think we are talking of two different things. Digital TV and the
transmission of a Digital TV signal. Analog RF TV signals are about to
disappear! The following is an excerpt from the FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/dtv/

<snip> During this transition period, consumers who wish to simply
continue receiving only analog TV service will be able to do so.
Consumers will be able indefinitely to get service out of their existing
television sets, but will not be able to see the DTV broadcasts without
a special converter. In order to receive DTV you will have the option of
purchasing a converter, which can be used with your existing television.
You also will have the option of purchasing a digital TV, which will be
expensive at first (just as color televisions were very expensive when
they were first introduced), but which are expected to become more
affordable when DTV is widely available.

Excerpt from England:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/
<snip>
Will I have to replace my existing TV?
No. The digital TV adapter just plugs into the back of your existing TV
and converts your digital signals into analogue. If you want to, you can
buy an iDTV (integrated digital TV) which can also receive Freeview. For
more information on aerials and reception click here.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2003

"Shamus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8h1Ka.19420$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:3ef85bbf$0$25774$(E-Mail Removed) m...
: >
: > "Shamus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > newsHPJa.18662$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
: > : Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
: > : obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all
: >
: > =====================
: > The ones being marketed today ARE digital.
: > They will not be obsolete.
: > ==========================
: >
:
: I think we are talking of two different things. Digital TV and the
: transmission of a Digital TV signal. Analog RF TV signals are about to
: disappear! The following is an excerpt from the FCC.
:
: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/dtv/
:
: <snip> During this transition period, consumers who wish to simply
: continue receiving only analog TV service will be able to do so.
: Consumers will be able indefinitely to get service out of their existing
: television sets, but will not be able to see the DTV broadcasts without
: a special converter. In order to receive DTV you will have the option of
: purchasing a converter, which can be used with your existing television.
: You also will have the option of purchasing a digital TV, which will be
: expensive at first (just as color televisions were very expensive when
: they were first introduced), but which are expected to become more
: affordable when DTV is widely available.
:
: Excerpt from England:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/
: <snip>
: Will I have to replace my existing TV?
: No. The digital TV adapter just plugs into the back of your existing TV
: and converts your digital signals into analogue. If you want to, you can
: buy an iDTV (integrated digital TV) which can also receive Freeview. For
: more information on aerials and reception click here.
:
================
So you are talking UK.
In the US, all current digital 16:9 sets will not be obsolete.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2003

"Shamus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsVmKa.21249$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >So you are talking UK.
:
: I don't know what is going on in the UK except for the info on the URL's
: I previously listed. Apparently they are broadcasting in DTV now. I
: would assume it is preliminary or experimental as in the USA. I only
: know what I read on the Internet " Mark Twain" updated to 21st century.
:
: >In the US, all current digital 16:9 sets will not be obsolete.
:
: Yes and no! EXISTING TV's are NOT capable of receiving the new digital
: signal! They are only one part of the new system, but as I assume you
: are on cable or satellite your provider will eventually give you (?) a
: new cable box which will do the conversion for you so you can use your
: old digital 16:9 MONITOR.

===========================
I already have a DirecTV and OTA HD receiver.
============================

: But how much has been left out of public
: information? VCR's and DVD players with RF analog outputs are obsolete
: too? Will video input (analog information) from an old VCR to new system
: work?

=======================
It works just fine.
========================

: I dunknow?

==================
I DO know. I have HD reception and an HD 16:9 set and a VHS and S-VHS work just fine
with it.
====================

: If you are really interested I suggest the following as
: a good starting place. If not, just wait a couple of years and you'll
: find out all about it.
:

====================
I do not need to "find out all about it". I HAVE it and am watching HD today.
It exists now.....................


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shamus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2003

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3efa4940$0$25785$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> ===========================
> I already have a DirecTV and OTA HD receiver.
> ============================

I readily and most humbly admit that I do not know what the above means
and therefore bow to your knowledge of the subject.
<snip>
> ====================
> I do not need to "find out all about it". I HAVE it and am watching

HD today.
> It exists now....................


I do appreciate your correcting me and taking the time to explain that
you at this moment have a DVD television capable of receiving digital
signals and are at the moment watching HD. Based upon your statements I
admit I was wrong and apologize for posting erroneous information to
this newsgroup over the past couple of days.

Thank you, Shamus

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Demolition Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2003
Shamus ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said the following crap:
> Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is 1950
> when I bought my first TV.


Then its time to start learning to enjoy the technology of TODAY!
Do you still listen to Edison records?

> If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
> Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
> wasted.


And in exchance you are seeing the film in its entirety. Besides, I own
a 27 inch TV. If you don't like the fact that the DVD is in Widescreen
then go buy it on VHS or watch it on TV. There... it fills your screen.
Happy now? GOOD! Now get your paws off of DVD which is meant
to be a OAR format. Period.

> That's the black spaces on the top and bottom.


I never notice them.

> If I purchased
> a new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your point.


You can easily get a decent 53 inch HDTV Widescreen set these days for
around $2,000.

> Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
> obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all.


I'd like to know who misinformed you so I can smack both you and
that person upside the head several times.

1) The deadline for "digital TV" is 2006 and that is only for stations to
be broadcasting a digital signal. Analog is NOT affected despite what some
people (would want you to) believe.

2) The HDTV format that is in place is designed for Widescreen in mind.

> Ah progress thy
> name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
> could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and not
> because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.


But eventually you bought a color TV did you not?

> Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.


You are indeed a Grumpy person who obviously is very clueless.

--
The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
A reminder to the world....
"Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
-Bill Schwenke


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shamus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2003

"The Demolition Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Shamus ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said the following crap:
> > Well OK but! My body may be in the 21st century but my memory is

1950
> > when I bought my first TV.

>
> Then its time to start learning to enjoy the technology of TODAY!
> Do you still listen to Edison records?
>
> > If I watch one of today's movies [so-called
> > Widescreen] on my 10 year old 27 inch TV, 33% is not missing it's
> > wasted.

>
> And in exchance you are seeing the film in its entirety. Besides, I

own
> a 27 inch TV. If you don't like the fact that the DVD is in Widescreen
> then go buy it on VHS or watch it on TV. There... it fills your

screen.
> Happy now? GOOD! Now get your paws off of DVD which is meant
> to be a OAR format. Period.
>
> > That's the black spaces on the top and bottom.

>
> I never notice them.
>
> > If I purchased
> > a new 27 X 81 inch TV for $10,000 maybe I could agree with your

point.
>
> You can easily get a decent 53 inch HDTV Widescreen set these days for
> around $2,000.
>
> > Anyway the so-called Widescreen TV's being marketed today will be
> > obsolete in 2004 when digital TV is forced upon all.

>
> I'd like to know who misinformed you so I can smack both you and
> that person upside the head several times.
>
> 1) The deadline for "digital TV" is 2006 and that is only for stations

to
> be broadcasting a digital signal. Analog is NOT affected despite what

some
> people (would want you to) believe.
>
> 2) The HDTV format that is in place is designed for Widescreen in

mind.
>
> > Ah progress thy
> > name is [$] greed? Case in point, with the introduction of color we
> > could still use our B&W TV and update or not at our discretion and

not
> > because our Uncle Sam & [Big Business] ordained it.

>
> But eventually you bought a color TV did you not?
>
> > Old Man Grump & Old lady Grump too.

>
> You are indeed a Grumpy person who obviously is very clueless.
>
> --
> The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
> A reminder to the world....
> "Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
> allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
> components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
> -Bill Schwenke
>
>

Yes without dispute you are obviously correct however being very, very
old I struggle to understand your repartee. But I must agree with
someone of your obvious intellect. I would in all sincerity appreciate
an explanation of your post, in layman terms please, so and old geezer
like myself could understand what you are saying. Single syllables
please. What are HDTV and DVD? I am willing to be educated please teach
me! Oh, by the way how did you know I listen to Edison recordings? Have
you visited my museum of recording antiquity? I stopped at this Usenet
to learn and I am so grateful that you will learn me. By the way my
great, great grand daughter is typing this for me and trying her best to
explain what you are typing.
--
Shamus

" Yea, thought I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of death, I shall
fear no evil. For I am the most dangerous son of a bitch who ever set
foot in this valley!"

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Demolition Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2003
Shamus ((E-Mail Removed)) previously said the following crap:
> Yes without dispute you are obviously correct however being very, very
> old I struggle to understand your repartee.


Sorry bout the confusion.

> But I must agree with
> someone of your obvious intellect.


Now your scaring me.

> I would in all sincerity appreciate
> an explanation of your post, in layman terms please, so and old geezer
> like myself could understand what you are saying.


I'll do my best.

> Single syllables
> please.


As I said... I'll do my best.

> What are HDTV and DVD?


HDTV = High Definition Television. Imagine a picture quality much
higher than standard TV - and Widescreen format too. The vast
majority of HDTV sets are Widescreen sets so they'll play Widescreen
films wonderfully.

DVD = Digital Versitile Disc, the disc format that is commonly used
to play films.

> I am willing to be educated please
> teach me!


Ask away.

> Oh, by the way how did you know I listen to Edison
> recordings?


Lucky guess. Nothing against Edison records, they were amazing
technology for their day. Someday when I'm old I'll look back and
look in amazement of the technology that was around from my own
younger days while the youth of that generation will be all drooling over
whatever is the latest and greatest thing.

> Have you visited my museum of recording antiquity?


No.

> I
> stopped at this Usenet to learn and I am so grateful that you will
> learn me.


You mean teach, not learn.

> By the way my great, great grand daughter is typing this
> for me and trying her best to explain what you are typing.


There is quite a bit of technical stuff, but its not too hard to understand
when its all put in easy terms. Once you get past that then you'll thank
yourself. Trust me... I thank myself everyday for knowing what I know
about HDTV, Widescreen, and other stuff.

--
The Demolition Man (formerly known as Angel C. Little)
A reminder to the world....
"Well, in my case, I get VCRs from the Goodwill thrift store that
allows a return in 7 days, that way I can ascertain the similar
components (or lift a fuse or belt for my own evil purposes!)"
-Bill Schwenke


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: FREE New Indian oil for men! Kline Sphere MCSE 0 09-06-2005 11:02 AM
Re: FREE Indian oil for men! Consultant MCSE 0 08-29-2005 02:40 PM
Re: FREE Indian oil for men! Frisbee® MCSE 2 08-29-2005 01:22 PM
OT: Men & Women Brat® MCSE 22 07-02-2004 08:08 PM
Grumpy about megapixels vs. skill Paul H. Digital Photography 122 12-09-2003 08:01 AM



Advertisments