Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Who Invented the Digital Camera

Who Invented the Digital Camera

Roger Whitehead

In article <XUtQc.624$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bowser wrote:
> The VCR was invented by AMPEX, and Sony copied the idea and concept in order
> to make this industrial machine available to consumers

The compiler of this chronology thinks otherwise -
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/notes.html . Look at the entry for
1969.

Roger

Charlie Self

Roland Karlsson states:

>> Actually, Gottleib Daimler and Karl Benz are credited with inventing the
>> automobile as we know it now, working as fierce competitors in the 1880s

>So - no one before had thought about a
>wagon driven by an engine?
>
>Making/inventing a useful implementation and inventing
>the actual idea is not the same thing.

Christian Huygens was futzing around with the idea of an engine in 1680.
Nickolaus Otto actually got the four stroke up and running around 1859 or 1860,
finally setting a form that was useful in a vehicle. Lots of people in between
and since. Development is the word, not invention in any true sense.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker

Jeff

I mistyped -- it was Vinton Cerf.

Jeff

news:s8rQc.122491$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Al Gore invented the internet, right? Seriously, Vincent Cerf is
> typically referred to as the father of the internet.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR and

the
> > Walkman, and co-invented the CD player with Philips. That German guy

> (can't
> > remember his name) invented MP3s. The Armed Forces, if I am right,

> invented
> > the Internet--although I've never heard who gets credit for doing things
> > which made the Internet become a consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces
> > thing. General Motors I am told is credited with the invention of

> automatic
> > transmissions in cars. Henry Ford is credited with automobiles at least

in
> > terms of breakthroughs which made cars available to others besides the

> rich.
> >
> > But anyway--which company or individual likely is the one credited for

the
> > invention of the digital camera? I mean, maybe I'm making too much of
> > this--and I in fact still used film (Nikon N80, recently even owned a
> > Rolleicord twin-lens-reflex {TLR}) in much of my "hobbyist" work (also

use
> > Nikon Coolpix 5700 for such "hobbyist" work). But to me, the invention

of
> > the digital camera has become one of THE big things in terms of key
> > inventions--right up there with the Internet, the VCR, the CD player and
> > color television.
> >
> > But anyway--which company or individual is credited with the invention

of
> > the digital camera? Beyond that, which models if any would be considered
> > historic--analogous to the Minolta Maxxum 7000 of the early 80s or the
> > Brownie camera of 1900.
> >
> > Let the opinions begin.
> >
> > LRH

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Charlie Self) wrote:
>
>> Most major inventions seem to be cooperative endeavors (overall: individuals
>> may not even know each other),

>You'll have a hard time convincing anyone of this thesis. Just about
>all of the spectacularly successful inventions, theories, syntheses,
>and ideas we have came from _very_ small groups, and in many cases,
>from a group of size 1.

That's because history books focus on people (and not on the transformation
of ideas).

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving

Steve Hix

In article <Xns953C6304C8B57klotjohan@130.133.1.4>,
Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The Armed Forces, if I am right, invented the Internet--

Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) put together
the initial bits on which the internet now is based.

> > although I've never heard who gets
> > credit for doing things which made the Internet become a
> > consumer-thing and not an Armed Forces thing.

> It was the universities all over the world that spread the technique.
> In those "easier to live" days there were lots of people in the
> universities that had "spare time" to test new things - and out came
> fantastic things like UNIX.

UNIX didn't come out of the university world, though it later helped
spread it.

UNIX came out of Bell Labs, which let a lot bright people do things that
didn't always seem to have any direct applications.

> Today everything is goal oriented and everything must be motivated in
> advance, so - nothing new and unexpected really happens.

You just need to look around more.

Steve Hix

In article <kTsQc.16332$gE.8997@pd7tw3no>, "greg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Typically it's clear-cut who invented what. Sony invented the VCR

> Whoa, I'm not sure I believe that.

You're right. Charles Paulson Ginsburg invented the VCR at Ampex
(remember them?), U.S. patent number 2,956,114.

http://www.engology.com/eng5ginsburg.htm

Roger Whitehead

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Hix
wrote:
> Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) put together
> the initial bits on which the internet now is based.

Were they not ARPA at the time?

Roger

wrote:
> You're right. Charles Paulson Ginsburg invented the VCR at Ampex
> (remember them?), U.S. patent number 2,956,114.

Despite its title, that page says that he invented the VTR, which is not the
same thing.

Roger

Roland Karlsson

Steve Hix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> UNIX didn't come out of the university world, though it later helped
> spread it.
>
> UNIX came out of Bell Labs, which let a lot bright people do things that
> didn't always seem to have any direct applications.

Yepp - I know.

> You just need to look around more.

Hmmm ... I am not sure about that. You are partly right of course. There
are still possibilites to do things that not "have any direct application".
But I feel that it is much less now. More goal oriented and more narrow
and tried solutions. I was working in the university world in the 70-ies
and there was loads of time to do stuff that just "felt right". Now there
are strict rules for the time you is allowed to spend taking a degree and
most of the research in the university is sponsored by industry. OK - it
might also be a sign that computer science is maturing. But it is rather
booring.

/Roland

Brian C. Baird

Jesus.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

* PRESS RELEASE * 100+ Years Advanced Video Game System Invented newstips6706@yahoo.com C Programming 0 09-30-2006 10:47 PM
OT: I invented the InterNeil PC LOAD LETTER MCSE 102 01-11-2006 01:51 PM
want to know who invented html? Nicole HTML 7 08-30-2005 10:55 PM
Who invented Jemmy? Phlip Java 5 08-04-2004 03:31 PM
FYI "Man Who Invented Ctrl+Alt+Delete Combination Retires" Boomer Computer Support 21 01-30-2004 01:08 AM

Advertisments