Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10D image download

10D image download

Jimmy Smith

I use USB 2 card reader. It's great. No problems ever.

Jimmy

"Bruce Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Q5aQc.16415$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I have
> found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very twitchy. Using
> the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear on the card in
> the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo thing so please forgive

the
> basic question.
>
> Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.
>
> Bruce
>
> Shutter City Gallery --
> http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?AcctID=4823

George Preddy

"Bruce Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Q5aQc.16415$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I have
> found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very twitchy. Using
> the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear on the card in
> the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo thing so please forgive the
> basic question.
>
> Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.

Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
reader.

Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
first place.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, George
Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
> barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
> reader.
>
> Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
> reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
> add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
> first place.

The 10D would be nice with a Firewire connection but I still think I'd
use a reader. Hooking the camera up to the computer? Icky-poo...

E. Magnuson

On 2004-08-07, George Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bruce Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Q5aQc.16415$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
> barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
> reader.

Sadly, the SD9's firewire interface is slower than the 10D's USB interface:
"I clocked the FireWire transfer rate at 268 KB/second, a number that
would be on the slow side even for a USB interface." (imaging-resource)

The SD10 does better, but is still bested by the *istD's USB.

> Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
> reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
> add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
> first place.

Hey, GP gets something almost right for once. (Not exactly right,
because USB2 CF readers are rather inexpensive.)

--
Erik