Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera shopping again. Powershot A 70,75,80,85

Digital camera shopping again. Powershot A 70,75,80,85

Chris Berry

I have to give away my canon A60 which I really liked a lot.
Anyway, It's time for an upgrade which is why I'm looking at the newer
models.
The key thing that spoils digital photography for me is shutter lag as all 4
powershot models seem pretty sharp and have very nice colours etc.
What are the main differences besides resolution for the above models in
terms of day to day usage?
Since all of them have more modes than the A60 I think features won't be so
critical but focussing - especially in low light, shutter lag, battery life
are a few of the things that tend to bug me.
Thanks.
cb

--
=================================
Some people have something to say... others have to say something!

Ron Hunter

Chris Berry wrote:

> I have to give away my canon A60 which I really liked a lot.
> Anyway, It's time for an upgrade which is why I'm looking at the newer
> models.
> The key thing that spoils digital photography for me is shutter lag as all 4
> powershot models seem pretty sharp and have very nice colours etc.
> What are the main differences besides resolution for the above models in
> terms of day to day usage?
> Since all of them have more modes than the A60 I think features won't be so
> critical but focussing - especially in low light, shutter lag, battery life
> are a few of the things that tend to bug me.
> Thanks.
> cb

Check out the reviews for the newer cameras. The problem isn't gone,
but it is greatly improved in the new cameras. I think you will find
all of the mentioned problems to be much less of a bother in any newer
model camera.

Chris Berry

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Check out the reviews for the newer cameras. The problem isn't gone,
> but it is greatly improved in the new cameras. I think you will find
> all of the mentioned problems to be much less of a bother in any newer
> model camera.

Thanks Ron.
I have a bit of a problem with the reviews...
First of all, I can't find one on the A85.
Next, they all seem to compare these features with "previous" models or
current competitors which makes the actual comments irrelevant unless you
know when and what these reviews compare to.
Considering speed and low light autofocus only... which order do these come
in?
Some time indications: A70, A75 - 3-4 sec to store an image A60 4-5s
Shutter lag A75 0.5-0.7s , A70 0.7-0.8s , A80 0.2-0.8s, A60 0.6-0.7s
Power up - 3-4sec all.
Focus times - unknown...

So, I'm pretty stumped as to what the advantages of the different models are
apart from the styling (A80) and picture size(A74-A85)...

Oh well, I guess we're in model limbo as usual...
cb

Terence Gui

"Chris Berry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cer74l$1u0$02$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
[snip]

> Some time indications: A70, A75 - 3-4 sec to store an image A60 4-5s
> Shutter lag A75 0.5-0.7s , A70 0.7-0.8s , A80 0.2-0.8s, A60 0.6-0.7s
> Power up - 3-4sec all.
> Focus times - unknown...
>
> So, I'm pretty stumped as to what the advantages of the different models

are
> apart from the styling (A80) and picture size(A74-A85)...
>
> Oh well, I guess we're in model limbo as usual...
> cb

Given the choices, I would got for the A80 (it's the only one of the cameras
listed with the larger 1/1.8 sensor size). The A85 is actually an upgrade of
the A75 and not the A80. Focus times will vary depending on the lighting
level and the subject.

I own an A75, and it definitely does not take 3-4 seconds to store an image.
That figure is closer to ~1.5-2.0 seconds

---

Ron Hunter

Chris Berry wrote:

> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Check out the reviews for the newer cameras. The problem isn't gone,
>>but it is greatly improved in the new cameras. I think you will find
>>all of the mentioned problems to be much less of a bother in any newer
>>model camera.

> Thanks Ron.
> I have a bit of a problem with the reviews...
> First of all, I can't find one on the A85.
> Next, they all seem to compare these features with "previous" models or
> current competitors which makes the actual comments irrelevant unless you
> know when and what these reviews compare to.
> Considering speed and low light autofocus only... which order do these come
> in?
> Some time indications: A70, A75 - 3-4 sec to store an image A60 4-5s
> Shutter lag A75 0.5-0.7s , A70 0.7-0.8s , A80 0.2-0.8s, A60 0.6-0.7s
> Power up - 3-4sec all.
> Focus times - unknown...
>
> So, I'm pretty stumped as to what the advantages of the different models are
> apart from the styling (A80) and picture size(A74-A85)...
>
> Oh well, I guess we're in model limbo as usual...
> cb

Try this one:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04072002canona85.asp

I can't answer specifically for any type camera but my own, but most
will allow multiple shots before it is necessary to wait for one to
write to the card. Mine will do 6 shots in burst mode in under 3
seconds. I find that more that adequate. Note that if you have to
refocus between shots, the time will be longer, but it is usually not
necessary to wait for writing to the card unless you are really reeling
off the shots. I have had this happen only once in 6 months.

Focus times are hard to measure because they vary with lighting and
subject matter. Low light focus is almost always slower.
Some of the new cameras have power up cycles down to 1 second, which is
more than adequate, but the average is more like 3-5 seconds.

Only the end user can say which features of the newer cameras are
important and which are just window-dressing. What is useful to you may
be worthless to me, and what is useless to either of us might be a major
concern to others.

Read the reviews, handle the cameras, examine your needs, then make your
choice. You won't get a perfect match, probably, but you can be pretty
sure of getting something you will like. But you should know that
something better will be around in 6 months.... sigh.