Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > did anyone try this: cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

did anyone try this: cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

chibitul

Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
*that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

Sabineellen

>Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
>cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

why? what for?

chibitul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sabineellen) wrote:

> >Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
> >cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?
> >

> why? what for?

do you have any idea what a large format camera can do??? you can move
the lens and the focal plane independently, achieving effects never
possible with a point-n-shoot (or even a dSLR).

Leonard Evens

chibitul wrote:
> Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
> the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
> small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
> some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
> format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
> *that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
> venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
> resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
> with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
> and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
> cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

If you mean to use the point and shoot camera to photograph the image on
the ground glass, it won't work. The image is much too dim to record
with such a camera. Also, you couldn't focus close enough unless the
camera had a macro mode, which most likely it wouldn't.

Paul Atreides

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) >,
chibitul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
> the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
> small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
> some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
> format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
> *that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
> venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
> resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
> with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
> and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
> cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

Ah - Calumet sells a LF Digi cam adapter, its 3k,... welcome to LF work
hah hah.
--
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the
measure of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the

chibitul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Leonard Evens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> chibitul wrote:
> > Did anyone try to use a large format camera to get an image (with all
> > the advantages of large format cameras: tilt, shift, etc) and then use a
> > small digicam instead of film to snap the picture? I imagine if you make
> > some sort of fixture to attach the digicam to the back of the large
> > format camera, and focus on the glass plate, you should be able to snap
> > *that* image. I never used a large format camera and I do not intend to
> > venture into this field unless I can do it digitally. I am not into high
> > resolution stuff, I read some of Ansel Adams books and I am impressed
> > with what you can do with large format when you can tilt/shift the lens
> > and the negative as you want. Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
> > cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?

> If you mean to use the point and shoot camera to photograph the image on
> the ground glass, it won't work. The image is much too dim to record
> with such a camera. Also, you couldn't focus close enough unless the
> camera had a macro mode, which most likely it wouldn't.

yes, that is what I mean. Most cameras have a macro mode, but you can
also put the camera about 0.5 meters away from the ground glass.

Ok, the image is dim, but this is large format camera here, not sports
or action. we're talking landscapes, biuldings, etc, right? what's wrong
with a slow shutter speed?

And do you really need the ground glass? what if you *remove* the ground
glass, the image will act as an object for the digicam. it should work.

Mark M

"chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Sabineellen) wrote:
>
> > >Just wondering if I can "piggy-back" a
> > >cheap point-n-shoot on the back of a large format beast?
> > >

> > why? what for?

> do you have any idea what a large format camera can do??? you can move
> the lens and the focal plane independently, achieving effects never
> possible with a point-n-shoot (or even a dSLR).

Ever here of 35mm tilt/shift lenses?
These work swimmingly on DSLRs.

Mark M

"chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> yes, that is what I mean. Most cameras have a macro mode, but you can
> also put the camera about 0.5 meters away from the ground glass.
>
> Ok, the image is dim, but this is large format camera here, not sports
> or action. we're talking landscapes, biuldings, etc, right? what's wrong
> with a slow shutter speed?
>
> And do you really need the ground glass? what if you *remove* the ground
> glass, the image will act as an object for the digicam. it should work.

How will the "image act as an object" without the glass?

chibitul

In article <w0YPc.18258$Oi.10022@fed1read04>,
"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ever here of 35mm tilt/shift lenses?
> These work swimmingly on DSLRs.

yes, but you have more flexibility with large format, i think?

chibitul

In article <Q2YPc.18274$Oi.4714@fed1read04>,
"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
> > yes, that is what I mean. Most cameras have a macro mode, but you can
> > also put the camera about 0.5 meters away from the ground glass.
> >
> > Ok, the image is dim, but this is large format camera here, not sports
> > or action. we're talking landscapes, biuldings, etc, right? what's wrong
> > with a slow shutter speed?
> >
> > And do you really need the ground glass? what if you *remove* the ground
> > glass, the image will act as an object for the digicam. it should work.

> How will the "image act as an object" without the glass?

optics 101.