Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best digital for travelling?

Best digital for travelling?

Sabineellen

>Many thanks indeed for all the wonderful advice. It is much appreciated -
>I was becoming a bit overwhelmed going through all the reviews and
>information available on the internet.
>
>I think I'm going to go for the Pentax 43WR to finally take over from my
>Minolta compact film camera which I've had since a young child!
>
>If I just go for a single 512MB card (don't think my budget would stretch
>to two), how easy would it be to transfer files in an internet cafe? Would
>I just need the USB cable, or would I have to take the camera's software
>with me too? I'd like to either burn to CD or upload to the web/email for
>backup purposes.
>
>Again, thank you everyone,
>
>JK

I think burning to CD would be more realistic than uploading to web/email. I'm
downloading XP SP2 right now on my broadband connection and eventhough it's
only half the size of your 512 it's taking its time. I don't think you'll need
to take the camera software. Just take a portable USB reader for the SD card.
You'll find these sold for $3 or less and they're quite tiny.

Nick C

"Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >Many thanks indeed for all the wonderful advice. It is much

appreciated -
> >I was becoming a bit overwhelmed going through all the reviews and
> >information available on the internet.
> >
> >I think I'm going to go for the Pentax 43WR to finally take over from my
> >Minolta compact film camera which I've had since a young child!
> >
> >If I just go for a single 512MB card (don't think my budget would stretch
> >to two), how easy would it be to transfer files in an internet cafe?

Would
> >I just need the USB cable, or would I have to take the camera's software
> >with me too? I'd like to either burn to CD or upload to the web/email

for
> >backup purposes.
> >
> >Again, thank you everyone,
> >
> >JK

> I think burning to CD would be more realistic than uploading to web/email.

I'm
> downloading XP SP2 right now on my broadband connection and eventhough

it's
> only half the size of your 512 it's taking its time. I don't think you'll

need
> to take the camera software. Just take a portable USB reader for the SD

card.
> You'll find these sold for $3 or less and they're quite tiny.

For your info.

I copied the following post that was in another ng which you might find
interesting.
"The real surprise with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 isn't
potential compatibility issues, but the mayhem that can occur when SP2
is downloaded onto a system.

CRN Test Center engineers evaluated a release candidate two (RC2)
version of SP2, and upon completion of the install on three out of
five systems, the machines blue-screened. A message stated that
"winserv" was missing. The blue screen occurred on both Advanced Micro
Devices (AMD) and Intel platforms, and all systems were running
Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1 installed. Every possible avenue to
get back into Windows failed."

nick

Sabineellen

>For your info.
>
>I copied the following post that was in another ng which you might find
>interesting.
> "The real surprise with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 isn't
> potential compatibility issues, but the mayhem that can occur when SP2
> is downloaded onto a system.
>
> CRN Test Center engineers evaluated a release candidate two (RC2)
> version of SP2, and upon completion of the install on three out of
> five systems, the machines blue-screened. A message stated that
> "winserv" was missing. The blue screen occurred on both Advanced Micro
> Devices (AMD) and Intel platforms, and all systems were running
> Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1 installed. Every possible avenue to
> get back into Windows failed."
>
>nick

Yeah I've seen that a week or two ago but I've not had such problems. Only
problem I have is with my connection, which is a firewall issue that I had
before SP2. So far SP2 is good.

rmartin

Be sure to look at this http://www.formulabox.it/

They have a range of waterproof cases for cameras and other devices too.
I bought one for my camera and it's ok

rm