Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > transparent pngs to a movie???

transparent pngs to a movie???

tiewknvc9

Is there a way to convert a series of transparent pngs to a movie
without losing the transparency?

JMF does not seem like an option, as it does not support pngs,

I tried to use the quicktime api, but I dont think that quicktime
supports transparency (am I wrong???) The transparent part of the
image appear black...

But now Im a bit lost, as I would desperately like to create a movie
with the single colored background that has been converted into
transparent png image files, into a movie that has transparency...

any ideas?

Oliver Wong

"tiewknvc9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Is there a way to convert a series of transparent pngs to a movie
> without losing the transparency?
>
> JMF does not seem like an option, as it does not support pngs,
>
> I tried to use the quicktime api, but I dont think that quicktime
> supports transparency (am I wrong???) The transparent part of the
> image appear black...
>
> But now Im a bit lost, as I would desperately like to create a movie
> with the single colored background that has been converted into
> transparent png image files, into a movie that has transparency...

You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime. I'm
actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency. If this is
truly the case, you may need to invent your own movie file format (which
means you'll have to invent a new player for that movie file as well).

- Oliver

Benjamin Lerman

> You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
> transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime. I'm
> actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency.

As far as I know, there is only one file format that support animation
and transparency, it is GIF.

Benjamin Lerman

Oliver Wong

"Benjamin Lerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You would first have to find a movie file format which supports
>> transparency. If QuickTime doesn't support it, then don't use QuickTime.
>> I'm
>> actually not aware of any file formats that support transparency.

> As far as I know, there is only one file format that support animation
> and transparency, it is GIF.

There's MNG, which is to PNG what animated GIFs are to single-framed
GIFs, but all these formats don't support sound, which I had (perhaps
erroneously) assumed would be present in the movie file.

- Oliver

tiewknvc9

ok.... so heres what I found out...

I could not create a finalized movie with transparency.

What I was able to to, was to use qtFile.zip (aka the quicktime for
java) libraries to create the movie from pngs. Then once I encoded the
transparent pngs, the transparent parts of the images turned to
black... damit!

So the deal with transparencies in a mov file atleast is that it is
transparent within the movie only. So if I wanted to add a second
"track" to the movie, I could layer the first track on top of it
without an issue with transparency.

unfortunately this did not work for my case, because I wanted a
finalized movie to give to my customers. But maybe it will help
someone else in the future.