Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S500 Battery Problems?

Canon S500 Battery Problems?

Ryan

Hi,

I have had several Canon Digital cameras and recently purchased a S500
Digital Elph. It is, however, the first Elph I have own (my prior
Canon's were S40, S45 and S50).

I have been fully charging the battery pack and putting it in the
camera as usual. However, after maybe 20 photos.. I am getting a
message to charge the battery and the camera refuses to take any
additional photos.

Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
go away.

Is this normal?

Do they make another high capacity battery for this camera that would
last longer between charges?

Thanks!

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ryan) writes:

>Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
>photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
>night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
>quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
>go away.

>Is this normal?

No, you should get many more shots from one charge. You might look at
dpreview's data on number of shots for the S400/410/500 to get an idea
of how many and under what conditions, but 20 shots is way too few.

The problem could be in the camera, the battery, or the charger.
Finding another local owner with a S500/S410/S400/S200 (anything that
uses the same battery) would allow you to swap known-good parts to
isolate the problem.

Dave

Luke Webber

Dave Martindale wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Ryan) writes:
>

>>Now, with my other Canons I could easily go on vacation and shoot
>>photos all day without having to recharge.. I would just recharge each
>>night and all was well. This S500 seems to drain it's battery VERY
>>quickly making me wonder how the heck I am going to use this when we
>>go away.

>>Is this normal?

> No, you should get many more shots from one charge. You might look at
> dpreview's data on number of shots for the S400/410/500 to get an idea
> of how many and under what conditions, but 20 shots is way too few.
>
> The problem could be in the camera, the battery, or the charger.
> Finding another local owner with a S500/S410/S400/S200 (anything that
> uses the same battery) would allow you to swap known-good parts to
> isolate the problem.

Or better yet, return them for warranty service.

Luke

David Sommers

Your manual should tell you the expected number of shots on a charge. I'm
guessing about 150. My S400 with an after-market battery gets many 100's of
shots on a charge. If you are getting only 20, either the battery, the
charger or the camera is defective.

Bye.

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...