Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice on choosing digicam...

Advice on choosing digicam...

Ian Riches

My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".

Her priorities are:

1) Low cost
2) Speedy start-up and low shutter lag
3) Image quality sufficient for decent 6x4-ish size prints
4) Optical zoom of roughly 35-135mm equivalent

She is supremely uninterested in numerous buttons, controls, manual
overrides, movie capability etc.

Given 3), even a 2MP camera would suffice if it had a decent lens.
Any recommendations for cheap cameras with decent response times?
I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Ian
--
Ian Riches
Bedford, UK

Jeff

Take a look at www.dpreview.com. A camera that advertises 3X optical zoom
is similar to the 35-135mm range. Low shutter lag is not a feature you are
going to find given your requirements. The best you can do with these point
and shoot cameras is to hold down the shutter button halfway to get
everything set. Then if your subject moves, simply recompose the picture
while holding the button down halfway. When ready, they push all of the
way. This is your best bet for capturing what you are seeing in the
viewfinder when you press the shutter button all of the way down.

Jeff

"Ian Riches" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
> away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
> shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".
>
> Her priorities are:
>
> 1) Low cost
> 2) Speedy start-up and low shutter lag
> 3) Image quality sufficient for decent 6x4-ish size prints
> 4) Optical zoom of roughly 35-135mm equivalent
>
> She is supremely uninterested in numerous buttons, controls, manual
> overrides, movie capability etc.
>
> Given 3), even a 2MP camera would suffice if it had a decent lens.
> Any recommendations for cheap cameras with decent response times?
> I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Riches
> Bedford, UK

IRO

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ian Riches <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
> away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
> shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".
>
> Her priorities are:
>
> 1) Low cost
> 2) Speedy start-up and low shutter lag
> 3) Image quality sufficient for decent 6x4-ish size prints
> 4) Optical zoom of roughly 35-135mm equivalent
>
> She is supremely uninterested in numerous buttons, controls, manual
> overrides, movie capability etc.
>
> Given 3), even a 2MP camera would suffice if it had a decent lens.
> Any recommendations for cheap cameras with decent response times?
> I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

I'd add to the wish-list the ability to output the images to TV (video
out). It can reduce the money wasted on prints considerably.

DPReview is THE place to go for details and Side-by-Side comparisons.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

The A-series Canons are justifiably very popular and combine fully
automatic point-&-shoot options with preset automatic functions
(Scenery, Portraits, Moving subjects, Backlit, etc) plus fully manual if
the need ever arises.

------
~IRO
My ambition in Life is to build something that will
REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

David J Taylor

>> My wife is getting increasingly frustrated at the waste of throwing
>> away a large percentage of the shots she takes on her 35mm point-and-
>> shoot, and thus wants "to go digital".

Why would she be any better with digital?
Just the lower cost of throwing away the duds?

Cheers,
David

Mark B.

news:AkuPc.377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Take a look at www.dpreview.com. A camera that advertises 3X optical zoom
> is similar to the 35-135mm range.

Since 35-135 is nearly 4x, I'm curious how it's similar to 3x

Mark

Jeff

You are absolutely correct that it is closer to 4x. My point was that for
the cost requirement set forth, 3x may be the best they can get.

Jeff

news:(E-Mail Removed)...