Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 and Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO?

Nikon D70 and Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO?

bayydogg

Does anybody know if these two items are compatible? If you're using
this combination, let me know if there is anything strange about it.
I'm considering buying it used for cheap. I know it's a slow AF, but
it's apparently fairly sharp. It's an old lens, this one right here:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/400_56.htm

Georgette Preddy

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (bayydogg) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Does anybody know if these two items are compatible? If you're using
> this combination, let me know if there is anything strange about it.
> I'm considering buying it used for cheap. I know it's a slow AF, but
> it's apparently fairly sharp. It's an old lens, this one right here:
>
> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/400_56.htm

If it's used and cheap, what else is there to say? New, I'd get a new
Sigma EX model, as they are unmatched in build and optical quality.
The 80-400 EX OS, the 50-500 EX, the 120-300 EX, the 100-300 EX, the
300mm EX, the 300-800 EX, and the 800mm EX all come to mind as "none
better" lenses.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Georgette
Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If it's used and cheap, what else is there to say? New, I'd get a new
> Sigma EX model, as they are unmatched in build and optical quality.
> The 80-400 EX OS, the 50-500 EX, the 120-300 EX, the 100-300 EX, the
> 300mm EX, the 300-800 EX, and the 800mm EX all come to mind as "none
> better" lenses.

They're unmatched for sure. Nobody makes 'em crappier than Sigma.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <a9bPc.476$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mike Mc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thats possibly the most purile and stupid post I've ever read. Its just
> 'Preddy bashing' for the sake of it. You may not personally like Sigma but
> it's ridiculous to make the above statement when some of their products
> receive rave reviews in the photographic media. For example their recently
> released macro lenses.
>
> Please try to be objective rather than getting into a feeding frenzy about a
> Preddy post.

I don't give a **** what reviewers say about Sigma. I've been doing
photography for 38 years and have seen enough Sigma products to know
what they produce. It's cheap junk that's marketed to cheapskate
amateurs.

Mike Mc

> They're unmatched for sure. Nobody makes 'em crappier than Sigma.

Thats possibly the most purile and stupid post I've ever read. Its just
'Preddy bashing' for the sake of it. You may not personally like Sigma but
it's ridiculous to make the above statement when some of their products
receive rave reviews in the photographic media. For example their recently
released macro lenses.

Please try to be objective rather than getting into a feeding frenzy about a
Preddy post.

(BTW, I don't have any Sigma kit so I don't have an axe to grind either way)

Regards

Mike

Buster

However, to answer the original post; almost every AF Nikon mount lens
will work with the D70. There are a few exceptions caused by physical
incompatiblilty. Nikon will only tell you if their lenses fit, but the
Sigma should function just fine. I will make no judgement on how good
it is.
Buster

Ray Paseur

Here's a link for those who are considering their current lens stock with
the D70:

www.non-aol.com/D70/

A this writing, there is one review of the Sigma 400mm f/5.6. Perhaps
others can add to the data base.

~Ray

"bayydogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Does anybody know if these two items are compatible? If you're using
> this combination, let me know if there is anything strange about it.
> I'm considering buying it used for cheap. I know it's a slow AF, but
> it's apparently fairly sharp. It's an old lens, this one right here:
>
> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/400_56.htm

vhl

Buster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> However, to answer the original post; almost every AF Nikon mount lens
> will work with the D70. There are a few exceptions caused by physical
> incompatiblilty. Nikon will only tell you if their lenses fit, but the
> Sigma should function just fine. I will make no judgement on how good
> it is.

I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
from Tokina for $70 (USD).

Vin.
--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

paul

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:50:06 +0000, vhl wrote:

> I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
> and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
> from Tokina for $70 (USD).
>
> Vin.

My Tokina 400/5.6ATX works fine with the D70.
Do you know what the issue is with this lens and the D100?

Paul

vhl

paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:50:06 +0000, vhl wrote:

>> I know that the Tokina 400/5.6ATX does not work with my D100
>> and I have heard others who have had to have it rechipped
>> from Tokina for $70 (USD).
>>
>> Vin.

> My Tokina 400/5.6ATX works fine with the D70.
> Do you know what the issue is with this lens and the D100?

No, but when I tried the same lens on the D70, it worked.
What happens is that every 1/3 times you try click the
shutter, you get '--' on the aperture reading meaning that
it doesnt detect the lens. Reset the camera and it may or
may not work. This lens was discontinued a while back but
I believe that Tokina will rechip it.

I was almost set to buy this lens after reading reviews,
but didnt because of this problem. (and Im glad because
about a week after I got a Nikkor 300/2.8 for a good price).

Vin.

Old Sigma 400mm 5.6 (non apo) Advid Digital Photography 5 04-03-2006 04:22 AM
experience with Sigma 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX OS APO? Black Nikon Digital Photography 1 07-12-2005 11:18 PM
Nikon D70 and Sigma 18-125mm Ian Digital Photography 7 09-12-2004 12:03 AM
Nikon D70 with Sigma lenses from my good and old F50 cam? Lior Digital Photography 1 04-19-2004 12:57 AM

Advertisments