Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Photo Gallery

New Photo Gallery

Peter Sundstrom

I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've started.

The categories covered so far are:

Abstract
Architecture
Monochrome
Flowers/Plants
Landscape
Shadow Portraits

http://www.ginini.com/photos/

Larry CdeBaca

Great eye, great photos!

"Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've

started.

> The categories covered so far are:
>
> Abstract
> Architecture
> Monochrome
> Flowers/Plants
> Landscape
> Shadow Portraits
>
> http://www.ginini.com/photos/

Frank ess

Larry CdeBaca wrote:
> Great eye, great photos!
>

> "Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've
>> started.
>>
>> The categories covered so far are:
>>
>> Abstract
>> Architecture
>> Monochrome
>> Flowers/Plants
>> Landscape
>> Shadow Portraits
>>
>> http://www.ginini.com/photos/

I agree. Very depressing. Now I have to spend months—months!—studying
the difference between mine and his.

Shewt.

Frank ess

Larry CdeBaca

I'm sure Peter did not pick up a camera yesterday. I feel the same, Frank. I
was surfing a photography site yesterday and read a few interesting things.
Like, a photograph is not necessarily defined by the equipment used to take
it; not about editing in a chemical darkroom or digital. The bottom line was
to learn all we can about our cameras, DOF, metering, cropping *in* the
camera (plan the shot; move around, check out different angles, times of
day, etc); and study the work of other photographers. BTW, Peter showed us
his "keepers." Keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready!

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmPOc.60107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry CdeBaca wrote:
> > Great eye, great photos!
> >

> > "Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've
> >> started.
> >>
> >> The categories covered so far are:
> >>
> >> Abstract
> >> Architecture
> >> Monochrome
> >> Flowers/Plants
> >> Landscape
> >> Shadow Portraits
> >>
> >> http://www.ginini.com/photos/

> I agree. Very depressing. Now I have to spend months-months!-studying
> the difference between mine and his.
>
> Shewt.
>

> Frank ess

Dave

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:30:20 +1200, "Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
somehow managed to impart:

>I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've started.
>
>The categories covered so far are:
>
>Abstract
>Architecture
>Monochrome
>Flowers/Plants
>Landscape
>Shadow Portraits
>
>http://www.ginini.com/photos/

Very good - and I do agree with other's comments that you've got an
eye for what makes a picture. IMHO they're a bit on the small side
though, large enough to make a photographic statement but too small
for me to want to save any with a right-click - but maybe that's what
you want anyway.

Many photo sites show smallish pictures with the option to buy prints.
Perhaps I'm daft but I provide larger images and don't mind if people
save them for personal use.

best wishes, Dave.

2000 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh &
Scotland. Also 3D rendered art & altered images.
* No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk

Peter Sundstrom

"Larry CdeBaca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > "Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I agree. Very depressing. Now I have to spend months-months!-studying
> > the difference between mine and his.
> >
> > Shewt.
> >

> > Frank ess

> I'm sure Peter did not pick up a camera yesterday. I feel the same, Frank.

> was surfing a photography site yesterday and read a few interesting

things.
> Like, a photograph is not necessarily defined by the equipment used to

take
> it; not about editing in a chemical darkroom or digital. The bottom line

was
> to learn all we can about our cameras, DOF, metering, cropping *in* the
> camera (plan the shot; move around, check out different angles, times of
> day, etc); and study the work of other photographers. BTW, Peter showed us
> his "keepers." Keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready!

I've been interested in photography for about 6 years and have started to
get a little more serious in the last 2-3 years.

Certainly if I look back at my earlier work (which at the time I thought was
pretty good), it looks very basic now. For me, photography is a constant
learning exercise.

Mike Kohary

Peter Sundstrom wrote:
> I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've
> started.
>
> The categories covered so far are:
>
> Abstract
> Architecture
> Monochrome
> Flowers/Plants
> Landscape
> Shadow Portraits
>
> http://www.ginini.com/photos/

Lovely work - you have an excellent eye for scenics. The colors are
outstanding - are you mostly achieving that in the camera, or do you
post-process much?

What are you using for your web page's gallery software, and can it
accomodate sales? It's quite nice.

Mike

kosh

"Larry CdeBaca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure Peter did not pick up a camera yesterday. I feel the same, Frank.

> was surfing a photography site yesterday and read a few interesting

things.
> Like, a photograph is not necessarily defined by the equipment used to

take
> it; not about editing in a chemical darkroom or digital. The bottom line

was
> to learn all we can about our cameras, DOF, metering, cropping *in* the
> camera (plan the shot; move around, check out different angles, times of
> day, etc); and study the work of other photographers. BTW, Peter showed us
> his "keepers." Keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready!

I had a unique experience of selling a camera to my photography lecturer.
whilst discussing the virtues of various cameras he commented that it was
not about the equipment, but about the image.

I replied, " yes it is, but the better you understand how your camera works,
what it will and won't do, then you are better able to reproduce the image
from your imagination. Better camera understanding will result in better
photos!" - I guess this only works with film however..... youc an kinda use
a bit more trial and error with digi. I actually have to make a concerted
effort to treat digi like film.... try to get it right the first time and ot
rely on the first photo to judge the conditions.

kosh

kosh

"Larry CdeBaca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure Peter did not pick up a camera yesterday. I feel the same, Frank.

> was surfing a photography site yesterday and read a few interesting

things.
> Like, a photograph is not necessarily defined by the equipment used to

take
> it; not about editing in a chemical darkroom or digital. The bottom line

was
> to learn all we can about our cameras, DOF, metering, cropping *in* the
> camera (plan the shot; move around, check out different angles, times of
> day, etc); and study the work of other photographers. BTW, Peter showed us
> his "keepers." Keep your eyes peeled and your camera ready!
>

> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bmPOc.60107$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Larry CdeBaca wrote:
> > > Great eye, great photos!
> > >

> > > "Peter Sundstrom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > I agree. Very depressing. Now I have to spend months-months!-studying
> > the difference between mine and his.
> >
> > Shewt.
> >

> > Frank ess

great photos, quite a decent array.

B&W beehive. has everything a b&w shot needs. Interesting tones and
textures... a kind of repitition. I would however, have shifted the brick
wall division. It kind of divides the shot in the middle. Either a few more
bricks, or more of the other building.

While there has been a famous Leica shot taken in the shadow self portrait
style... it never did much for me.... but that's me.

love the gallery style.. already downloaded the software!

kosh

Peter Sundstrom

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ceh444$v3f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter Sundstrom wrote:
> > I'd be interested in any feedback for a new photo gallery that I've
> > started.
> >
> > The categories covered so far are:
> >
> > Abstract
> > Architecture
> > Monochrome
> > Flowers/Plants
> > Landscape
> > Shadow Portraits
> >
> > http://www.ginini.com/photos/

> Lovely work - you have an excellent eye for scenics. The colors are
> outstanding - are you mostly achieving that in the camera, or do you
> post-process much?

Pretty much all the images are as is, apart from the "cross processed"
images.

There's three sources for the images:

1. Scanned of slide (taken with Canon EOS50) with a Nikon CoolScan.
2. Canon G3.
3. Canon 300D
3.

> What are you using for your web page's gallery software, and can it
> accomodate sales? It's quite nice.

The gallery is powered by Coppermine Photo Gallery (see link at the bottom
of each of the pages).

There's quite a few mods available for it, including integrating into
shopping cart systems.