Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 7dayshop - now with VAT

Reply
Thread Tools

7dayshop - now with VAT

 
 
Colin Reddish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004

"Stevie Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> LOL. I love my comments thay always get a good response


AH so you know you are talking rubbish but are just doing it to get us all
involved. You are doing it very well. Have you thought of becoming a Troll
Trainer?

Personally I'm giving up on this one.
--
Colin Reddish


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duncan Allan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
VAT is 17.5% in the UK which is the rate applied to a non taxed item.

However when the Vat is deducted from the inclusive price it is 14.89% of
the gross. So the perceived 'rip-off' does not exist. All they were doing
was exploiting the loop hole in the law that the Channel islands have with
Vat treatment.

Now they are on a level playing field with everyone else perhaps everyone
will see just how appalling slow they are.


Duncan
"ejb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ceea5u$n0v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Matthew" <wrote>
>
> As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
> > realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
> > above 17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
> > at the expense of the taxman,

>
> (snip)
>
> How were they "ripping off their customers" ?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matthew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
"Duncan Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cei9lh$cv4$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> VAT is 17.5% in the UK which is the rate applied to a non taxed item.
>
> However when the Vat is deducted from the inclusive price it is 14.89% of
> the gross. So the perceived 'rip-off' does not exist.


Yes it does. The old price (before VAT) was 137. The new price should
be 17.5% more than that, but it's not, it's only 11.5% more, at
152.75.

> All they were doing
> was exploiting the loop hole in the law that the Channel islands have with
> Vat treatment.


Yes. And it was more than a little unfair to their competitors (not
that I am complaining, providing my camera gets through free of tax),
that they could buy for say 100 (just like their competitors), and
then sell for 120 (20 profit margin), and look very good against
other players who were selling for 110 (10 profit Margin) + VAT =
129.26.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
> > > I think its a bit pathetic the way you and others have slammed
> > > into this bloke because he happens to differ from your opinions
> > > on acceptable business practices.

> >
> > "Oh dear, what a pity. Never Mind."

>
> I beg your pardon - I mistakenly imagined you would be able to
> understand the concepts in my response to you


Your "concepts" were a complete bunch of hypocritical arse. You found it
unreasonable for people to have openly differing opinions from someone,
but your post indicated it's ok for *you* to have a openly differing
opinion.

> Now I realise I was just interrupting the drivellings of a
> ****. (That's you, Lordy. Don't want to confuse you with subtlety.)


And you're a ****.
How's that for subtlety ?


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
> > > If a company decides not to be competitive within the market place
> >
> > If their prices are lower than obtainable here, then they /are/ being
> > competitive.

>
> You mis-interpreted by what I meant to be competitive.


Silly me, I thought you meant competitive in the "competitive" sense of
the word.

> This meaning having prices (whether higher or lower) simliar to other
> retailers. Therefore being competitive with them. Not merely just
> higher or lower.


The only price that counts to the end consumer, is the price to the end
consumer (providing the product is comparable).

> I think I know where I'm coming from. CD-WOW had the best prices for
> CD's for a long time until they were forced to up their prices.
> It may not be price fixing in the terms you are thinking of but
> it is fixing prices to be the best.


You're right, the CD-Wow debacle did include a degree of price fixing,
but not in the way you are implying. They had their choice of suppliers
restricted for our market in order to try and force their prices up.
That's price fixing by the BPI by taking away consumer choice.


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
> > > If a company decides not to be competitive within the market
> > > place and therefore sells their goods at a higher than
> > > competitive price in order to maximise profits then that
> > > is price fixing.

>
> > No it isn't. It's charging an uncompetitive price.

>
> And the only reason they would want to do that is to maximise profit


*******s, your average UK retailer makes far more outright markup
(average of forty percent in my shop) on the items it sells compared to
someone such as CDWow (referring to your post on them).


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
TP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
Lordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>*******s, your average UK retailer makes far more outright markup
>(average of forty percent in my shop) on the items it sells compared to
>someone such as CDWow (referring to your post on them).



Might you be confusing mark-up with margin?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004

"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >*******s, your average UK retailer makes far more outright markup
> >(average of forty percent in my shop) on the items it sells compared to
> >someone such as CDWow (referring to your post on them).

>
>
> Might you be confusing mark-up with margin?
>
>

I dont a 50 % mark up is a 33% margin


 
Reply With Quote
 
TP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
"Trev" <trevbowdenATwireless.pipexDOTnet> wrote:

>
>"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Lordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >*******s, your average UK retailer makes far more outright markup
>> >(average of forty percent in my shop) on the items it sells compared to
>> >someone such as CDWow (referring to your post on them).

>>
>>
>> Might you be confusing mark-up with margin?
>>
>>

>I dont a 50 % mark up is a 33% margin



In that case, I wonder what on earth you are complaining about.

A 40% mark-up is quite normal in UK retail, giving a margin of
just under 29%. Some UK businesses operate on much higher
margins than 29%, for example cards and stationery are typically
marked up 100% giving a 50% margin.

So what was your point, exactly?


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Littlewood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-01-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, TP
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Trev" <trevbowdenATwireless.pipexDOTnet> wrote:
>
>>
>>"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Lordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> >
>>> >*******s, your average UK retailer makes far more outright markup
>>> >(average of forty percent in my shop) on the items it sells compared to
>>> >someone such as CDWow (referring to your post on them).
>>>
>>>
>>> Might you be confusing mark-up with margin?
>>>
>>>

>>I dont a 50 % mark up is a 33% margin

>
>
>In that case, I wonder what on earth you are complaining about.
>
>A 40% mark-up is quite normal in UK retail, giving a margin of
>just under 29%. Some UK businesses operate on much higher
>margins than 29%, for example cards and stationery are typically
>marked up 100% giving a 50% margin.
>

To be fair, Tony, the wastage rate on greetings cards is very high. (I
did some investigations on the CTN business in a previous incarnation.)
--
David Littlewood
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PYTHON PROGRAMMING BOOK NOW 23rd-27th March 2009 945 + VAT per delegate marie Python 0 03-13-2009 01:30 PM
7dayshop : don't buy anything of value at 7dayshop Kokinho Digital Photography 26 07-24-2004 09:33 PM
7dayshop custom duty UK! samsung Digital Photography 14 05-19-2004 10:58 AM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James Microsoft Certification 1 10-26-2003 07:42 PM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James MCSE 3 10-26-2003 07:42 PM



Advertisments