Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 7dayshop - now with VAT

Reply
Thread Tools

7dayshop - now with VAT

 
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
> > > By not passing on the full 17.5% VAT saving before. Like those
> > > duty free shops in airports - the lack of tax makes the product
> > > look incredibly cheap, but in fact they are making 3 or 4 per
> > > item per more profit than other shops would.

> >
> > Well, that one wins the award for most stupid post of the day

>
> Really? What a sheltered e-life you must lead! Try looking at groups
> in which the Iraq invasion and occupation is being 'justified'.


No thanks, sounds boring as fk.

> Could we have some tolerance on this group


You can have what you want, as long as you go and do it quietly in the
corner

> I think its a bit pathetic the way you and others have slammed
> into this bloke because he happens to differ from your opinions
> on acceptable business practices.


"Oh dear, what a pity. Never Mind."


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
> > And I suspect it is not "fixed". I am sure if you offered them
> > more than they are asking they will happily sell goods at that
> > higher price... <-:

>
> Then that would not be price fixing.


Which is why he said he suspects it is not "fixed"...
Good grief.


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
> If a company decides not to be competitive within the market place

If their prices are lower than obtainable here, then they /are/ being
competitive.

> and therefore sells their goods at a higher than competitive price
> in order to maximise profits then that is price fixing.


That is the nature of supply and demand. This may come as a bit of a
surprise to you, but people that sell things are not doing it to pass
the time, they're in it for the money (seriously !).

> Likewise if they decide to undercut EVERY soul in the market in
> order to maximise sales then that is price fixing.


You're just completely losing the plot now.


--
Lordy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Dunn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
I meant you couldn't refuse for the reason specified.
Janie Thomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Mark Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cefo0p$b4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can't refuse- the duty is allowed for in their terms and conditions.

I
> > read them- that's why I bought my c725 from pixmania. More money but
> > predictable.

>
>
> Yes you can. The PO told me I could refuse to accept the EOS300D I bought
> from 7dayshop. This would have avoided the VAT and PO handling charge.
> 7dayshop's terms and conditions also specify you can return an item

unopened
> if you change your mind within 7 (IIRC) days of receipt. I had already
> budgeted for the VAT anyway, and the PO charges were only 4. The total
> still came in under the next best price I could find for the camera at the
> time from an EU source with VAT and delivery charges included. If I

bought
> it now from 7dayshop I would save myself about 40. I don't consider

myself
> to have been ripped off (well, not by 7dayshop anyway!).
>
>
> --
> Janie
> http://www.janie-thomson.co.uk
> janiethomson at janie-thomson dot co dot uk
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Dunn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004

Stevie Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > No it's not. Price Fixing is when a number of businesses get together to

> fix
> > a price at which they will all sell an item, thereby depriving the

> consumer
> > of any choice.
> >
> >
> > --

>
> Well I disagree. I so no reason why a company has to be in conjunction

with
> others to price fix.
> There is an upper price index for goods controlled by the RRP

No there isn't. There is no state control of prices, except on a very few
staple foods. And a good thing too. It's called the free market.
and generally
> a lower price index controlled by what the manufacturer will allow it to

be
> sold, which is generally controlled by the buying in price and your profit
> margin.
>
> If a company decides not to be competitive within the market place and
> therefore sells their goods at a higher than competitive price in order

to
> maximise profits then that is price fixing.

No it isn't. It's charging an uncompetitive price. You don't sell as much.
Likewise if they decide to
> undercut EVERY soul in the market in order to maximise sales then that is
> price fixing.


No it isn't- it's being competitive!
>
> Steve
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Janie Thomson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004

"Mark Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I meant you couldn't refuse for the reason specified.


You don't have to give a reason to refuse to accept the package from the PO,
which is what the OP was asking about. You don't have to give a reason to
7dayshop for returning a purchase to them, other than "I changed my mind" so
long as the goods are in an unused condition in their original packaging.

Whether they will accept an order from you for the same item again, however,
is another matter.


--
Janie
http://www.janie-thomson.co.uk
janiethomson at janie-thomson dot co dot uk

> Janie Thomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Mark Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cefo0p$b4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You can't refuse- the duty is allowed for in their terms and

conditions.
> I
> > > read them- that's why I bought my c725 from pixmania. More money but
> > > predictable.

> >
> >
> > Yes you can. The PO told me I could refuse to accept the EOS300D I

bought
> > from 7dayshop. This would have avoided the VAT and PO handling charge.
> > 7dayshop's terms and conditions also specify you can return an item

> unopened
> > if you change your mind within 7 (IIRC) days of receipt. I had already
> > budgeted for the VAT anyway, and the PO charges were only 4. The total
> > still came in under the next best price I could find for the camera at

the
> > time from an EU source with VAT and delivery charges included. If I

> bought
> > it now from 7dayshop I would save myself about 40. I don't consider

> myself
> > to have been ripped off (well, not by 7dayshop anyway!).
> >
> >
> > --
> > Janie
> > http://www.janie-thomson.co.uk
> > janiethomson at janie-thomson dot co dot uk
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Self
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Stevie Boy responds:

>I think I know where I'm coming from. CD-WOW had the best prices for CD's
>for a long time until they were forced to up their prices. It may not be
>price fixing in the terms you are thinking of but it is fixing prices to be
>the best.


That's known as "setting" prices, not "fixing" prices.

Charlie Self
"Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Dunn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
Not sure I can be bothered with all this nitpicking. See you all in a while.
Janie Thomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Mark Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I meant you couldn't refuse for the reason specified.

>
> You don't have to give a reason to refuse to accept the package from the

PO,
> which is what the OP was asking about. You don't have to give a reason to
> 7dayshop for returning a purchase to them, other than "I changed my mind"

so
> long as the goods are in an unused condition in their original packaging.
>
> Whether they will accept an order from you for the same item again,

however,
> is another matter.
>
>
> --
> Janie
> http://www.janie-thomson.co.uk
> janiethomson at janie-thomson dot co dot uk
>
> > Janie Thomson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Mark Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:cefo0p$b4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > You can't refuse- the duty is allowed for in their terms and

> conditions.
> > I
> > > > read them- that's why I bought my c725 from pixmania. More money but
> > > > predictable.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes you can. The PO told me I could refuse to accept the EOS300D I

> bought
> > > from 7dayshop. This would have avoided the VAT and PO handling

charge.
> > > 7dayshop's terms and conditions also specify you can return an item

> > unopened
> > > if you change your mind within 7 (IIRC) days of receipt. I had

already
> > > budgeted for the VAT anyway, and the PO charges were only 4. The

total
> > > still came in under the next best price I could find for the camera at

> the
> > > time from an EU source with VAT and delivery charges included. If I

> > bought
> > > it now from 7dayshop I would save myself about 40. I don't consider

> > myself
> > > to have been ripped off (well, not by 7dayshop anyway!).
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Janie
> > > http://www.janie-thomson.co.uk
> > > janiethomson at janie-thomson dot co dot uk
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul F
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004
"Lordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > > > By not passing on the full 17.5% VAT saving before. Like those
> > > > duty free shops in airports - the lack of tax makes the product
> > > > look incredibly cheap, but in fact they are making 3 or 4 per
> > > > item per more profit than other shops would.
> > >
> > > Well, that one wins the award for most stupid post of the day

> >
> > Really? What a sheltered e-life you must lead! Try looking at groups
> > in which the Iraq invasion and occupation is being 'justified'.

>
> No thanks, sounds boring as fk.
>
> > Could we have some tolerance on this group

>
> You can have what you want, as long as you go and do it quietly in the
> corner
>
> > I think its a bit pathetic the way you and others have slammed
> > into this bloke because he happens to differ from your opinions
> > on acceptable business practices.

>
> "Oh dear, what a pity. Never Mind."
>
>
> --
> Lordy


I beg your pardon - I mistakenly imagined you would be able to understand
the concepts in my response to you, Lordy. Now I realise I was just
interrupting the drivellings of a ****. (That's you, Lordy. Don't want to
confuse you with subtlety.)

Yours as ever

Paul F


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stevie Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2004

> > If a company decides not to be competitive within the market place and
> > therefore sells their goods at a higher than competitive price in order

> to
> > maximise profits then that is price fixing.


> No it isn't. It's charging an uncompetitive price.


And the only reason they would want to do that is to maximise profit (unless
there are other real profund reasons). Call it uncompetitive charging its
uneccessary so in my eyes that equates to price fixing.


> Likewise if they decide to
> > undercut EVERY soul in the market in order to maximise sales then that

is
> > price fixing.

>
> No it isn't- it's being competitive!



Wipeing the floor in the industry with under cutting prices, same thing.

Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PYTHON PROGRAMMING BOOK NOW 23rd-27th March 2009 945 + VAT per delegate marie Python 0 03-13-2009 01:30 PM
7dayshop : don't buy anything of value at 7dayshop Kokinho Digital Photography 26 07-24-2004 09:33 PM
7dayshop custom duty UK! samsung Digital Photography 14 05-19-2004 10:58 AM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James Microsoft Certification 1 10-26-2003 07:42 PM
Prometric No VAT Waite, James MCSE 3 10-26-2003 07:42 PM



Advertisments