Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Seeking Photos on "Vocation" or "Career" for small literary magazine

Seeking Photos on "Vocation" or "Career" for small literary magazine

WT Pfefferle

Georgetown Review, a small literary magazine in central Kentucky, is
seeking photo submissions on the topics of "vocation" or "career" for
possible cover or back cover use on our 2005 issue.

We can only pay in 2 free copies of the finished journal.

Please submit JPG images (smaller than 300k) to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
along with a brief note and credits. (A full size image file will be
requested upon acceptance for publication.)

We are accepting submissions between now and February 1st, 2005.

Thank you,
WT Pfefferle
Georgetown Review

Bob Brogan

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (WT Pfefferle) wrote:

> Georgetown Review, a small literary magazine in central Kentucky, is
> seeking photo submissions on the topics of "vocation" or "career" for
> possible cover or back cover use on our 2005 issue.
>
> We can only pay in 2 free copies of the finished journal.
>
> Please submit JPG images (smaller than 300k) to (E-Mail Removed)
> along with a brief note and credits. (A full size image file will be
> requested upon acceptance for publication.)
>
> We are accepting submissions between now and February 1st, 2005.
>
> Thank you,
> WT Pfefferle
> Georgetown Review

Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.

Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

--
Thanks,
Ham

Charlie Self

Bob Brogan responds:

>> Georgetown Review, a small literary magazine in central Kentucky, is
>> seeking photo submissions on the topics of "vocation" or "career" for
>> possible cover or back cover use on our 2005 issue.
>>
>> We can only pay in 2 free copies of the finished journal.
>>
>> Please submit JPG images (smaller than 300k) to (E-Mail Removed)
>> along with a brief note and credits. (A full size image file will be
>> requested upon acceptance for publication.)
>>
>> We are accepting submissions between now and February 1st, 2005.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> WT Pfefferle
>> Georgetown Review

>Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
>want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.
>
>Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

I agree with your last statement, but my bet is that they pay the printer,
don't do much prepress, and have editors who are paid nothing or work for very
little. Writers for these 'literary" journals also get bupkes.

I'm a freelance writer, with about 2000 articles and 40 books on my resume, and
I've ranted against these "work for zip" publications for ages. Others
disagree, saying that the experience is good, and you get guidance. IMO, the
people editing these magazines can't guide anyone anywhere...their use of
language is usually affected and inflated and incorrect, their ideas of layout
few and far between, and their publishing skills on the order of their language
use.

Charlie Self
"Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

WT Pfefferle

Bob Brogan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Ham-

> Lets see, you pay the writers, editors, prepress and printer and you
> want the photographer to work for a tear sheet.
>
> Your magazine doesnt' have any weight to be worth being published in.

Bob,

We pay writers who get into the magazine one copy of the journal. We
have two editors who get no money whatsoever and put in hundreds of
hours a year reading and editing manuscripts. We have no advertising
and go into debt on every single issue. Occasionally we get a grant
from an educational body that allows us to distribute the magazine to
a few more libraries.

In 20 years in small press publishing or literary magazine editing,
I've never been in the black once, not even for a moment.

I love giving artists of all kinds the chance to have their work a
little more widely distributed.

I certainly didn't mean for anyone to take offense. A number of folk
from this group have submitted work already and I thank them.

Best,
WT